919 Dampener... Thoughts? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

919 Dampener... Thoughts?

So I'm gonna buy an dampener today. I've been looking at GSX-R units but I stumbled up on this. Looks pretty good and the price is right..... Thoughts???

7 Steps 400mm Gold Steering Damper GSX-R CBX Monster S4: eBay Motors (item 220632106519 end time Sep-02-10 03:34:16 PDT)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I have looked into this before and apparently the GSXR (forgot which year) is the 2nd hand (inexpensive) unit to get.

Saying that there's a lot more experienced people on here that will tell you a steering dampener is not needed on a 919, as its an extremely stable bike. If you are getting headshakes, etc., there's most probably something else wrong, like tyres, or suspension.

If you just want it as a trick/ fun mod, why not, do what makes you happy.:001_smile:

Just had a look at that e-bay link. Personally if it is what I think it is, I wouldn't put a cheap chinese knock-off/generic steering dampener on my bike, its asking for trouble, IMO.

post #3 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallybanger View Post
So I'm gonna buy an dampener today. I've been looking at GSX-R units but I stumbled up on this. Looks pretty good and the price is right..... Thoughts???

7 Steps 400mm Gold Steering Damper GSX-R CBX Monster S4: eBay Motors (item 220632106519 end time Sep-02-10 03:34:16 PDT)

What's your intent in getting it ?
919s don't need steering dampeners on the street or on the track.
They are rock steady at speed, and our track is very bumpy and once I got my chassis sorted out, the mild low frequency unscary yawn type head oscillation I got in one spot only, went away.

post #4 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Le So Cal Troll

no point for a steering damper on the 919 IMO.... its rake isnt steep enough to necessitate one.

the 919 comming in at a rake of 25* and a trail of 98mm makes it quite stable.... say when compared to the cbr1000rr with a 23.3* rake and a 96mm trail

post #5 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Gets censored

I put a gsxr one on mine and it looks cool and it is functional. I used to get a little shake out of her on occation just a little. With the damper it slows it down and stops it faster under 100 bucks on a damper and fork clamp, love it!

post #6 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

It probably doesn't need it but I also have an F3 front wheel which is MUCH lighter so my front end stability has been decreased a little. Also, the roads around here are crazy rough and I would feel a lot more comfortable with a dampener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I put a gsxr one on mine and it looks cool and it is functional. I used to get a little shake out of her on occation just a little. With the damper it slows it down and stops it faster under 100 bucks on a damper and fork clamp, love it!
Where did you get a fork clamp?? I'm assuming you're talking about a stanchion clamp?

post #7 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Gets censored

ordered it from my old neighbor he owned a bike shop... sorry

post #8 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
ordered it from my old neighbor he owned a bike shop... sorry
No problem, just making sure we're talking about the same thing.

Steering Damper Fork Mounting Stanchion Bracket 50mm : eBay Motors (item 370402157784 end time Sep-26-10 01:59:04 PDT)

post #9 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Be sure to set it up light and go up carefully from there.
There's probably more scares and crashed from too heavily set a damper than no damper at all.

post #10 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Gets censored

yep thats it, you can get a stock gsxr damper real cheap and it's decent. You gotta drill a hole just under you're tank theres a little metal tab. I notched my tank a little tiny bit for clearance but I've seen it done without it.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Pilus Posterior

I am pretty sure I can read part of the word 'Daytona' on that damper - that was a good brand name many years ago for steering dampers - I've not seen one for years (well since I sold my bike wearing one!).

Obviously a knock-off - as to the quality - buy it and let us know, there is probably no reason at all that it is not sweet, well until it locks up mid corner ........

Personally for items like this attached to your steering I'd stick to a known brand name.

Hey look - they also have cheap CRG leavers. Man that's half price, CRG must give them a good discount .......

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRG-alloy-Brake-...item33586dc43d

post #12 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Princeps Prior

I agree..... when the 919 is in its stock configuration --- its very stable.

BUT --- I like my bikes to turn quick. When you drop the front forks in the triples on the 9'er by 10mm...... it becomes a twisties turning monster --- but at times CAN get some head shake. The other senerio is if you have an aftermarket rear shock with an adjustable ride height --- and you like the bike on its nose for track riding.

I can see the need for a damper if your bike is set up this way....and you plan on doing aggressive riding or track days.

If you're an every day street rider....and haven't messed with you bike's geometery ---- I wouldn't spend the money.

post #13 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
It probably doesn't need it but I also have an F3 front wheel which is MUCH lighter so my front end stability has been decreased a little.
Do you have actual numbers as to HOW much lighter?

post #14 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Brain stolen again?

Buy it now for Thirty Eight bucks????????

You truly are looking for the appearance of "Bling" aren't you.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #15 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Princeps Prior

this is the ONLY way I'd do it..........heck of a price!

Scott's for the 919.

Scotts Steering Damper for Honda CB 919 02-07 - Steering Stabilizers - Solo Moto Parts

post #16 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Brain stolen again?

Ya..............face it, you'd be trusting an addition to your steering that could have lethal consequences to a 38 dollar part. Wally, your safety is worth alot more than that.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #17 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I ran lap times at Barber on my 919 that Novice racers on purpose built racebikes couldn't match, lofting the front end over rises and not one time did I ever even remotely think it would have been easier with a damper installed. In fact it handled various ripples and track nuances both during hard acceleration & braking maneuvers better than my Ohlins suspended racebikes do in most cases.

post #18 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

It's ordered. I'll take it a part and give it a good once over before I use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
this is the ONLY way I'd do it..........heck of a price!

Scott's for the 919.

Scotts Steering Damper for Honda CB 919 02-07 - Steering Stabilizers - Solo Moto Parts
"This is a weld on kit"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
I ran lap times at Barber on my 919 that Novice racers on purpose built racebikes couldn't match, lofting the front end over rises and not one time did I ever even remotely think it would have been easier with a damper installed. In fact it handled various ripples and track nuances both during hard acceleration & braking maneuvers better than my Ohlins suspended racebikes do in most cases.
Interesting....

post #19 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Amen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode