Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

$5.00 Fender Eliminator?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AllanB 
#1 ·
As some of you know, I am putting the bike back to stock so I can sell it. Well I had the plate mounted in the under tail section of the bike and with the stock exhaust it is NOT a good place. It was totally invisible, except from directly behind. Here is a simple break down of what I did to fix this.

Here is the before shot

and Now!

What did I do you ask? Well it really is quite simple, I didn't take any before pics but I think I can walk you through it.

Lowes or Home Depot, Pick up a couple bolts and lock nuts as well as a piece of aluminum angle (comes in 3 foot sections and is in the same isle as the nuts and bolts) I spent under 5 bucks for the aluminum angle and the hardware, your experience and totals may be different.

1. Remove the rear Cowl and then the Fender
2. Remove the Plate Light and turn Signals from the fender before trimming.
3. Trim the rear fender to Match the lines of the bikes rear section. You should end up with just the very top section of the fender to reinstall.
4. Mark your holes in the rear section of the fender for the Plate light installation. It should just barely fit between the two cross supports in the trimmed fender and you want the top of both to be flush.
5. Install the Plate light on the trimmed section of fender.
6. Reinstall the trimmed section of fender on bike using only the two front screws, you will be replacing the rear screws with new Bolts and Lock nuts so you can remove the Threaded Retaining Clips in the rear section.
7. Install the Plate Bracket from the bottom, secure it and the rear section of the trimmed fender with New Bolts/Lock Nuts.
8. Reinstall the cowl and your done (if you have an integrated Brake light that is!) I do, so I didn't have to screw with the signals. If you don't... well your on your own because I didn't get that far.

Here are some pics after and during the install. If I get bored in the next few days I may take it all apart and do a complete walk through... Don't count on it though! :yawn:

Here inside this spoiler, are some photos from different angles.
Spoiler:

See less See more
#4 ·
Heck, I didn't document it. I think I'll disassemble it again for better step by step directions. It really was easy though, far easier than the undertail installation I previously had. I got to say though, it's kind of weird having a bike that quiet.

Thanks though! It does look "Factory"!

#5 ·
Interesting little write up, I've been looking for little projects to do to the bike while it sits in storage.

Sell it? :nono: So uh, I seem to remember how ballsy your exhaust sounded when you were here for the MotoGP. Have any plans for that? lol

#7 ·
Office/Shop/Garage

You are the third person to ask what I'm doing with the exhaust since it sold about 3 weeks ago.

In storage? I keep my bike close at all times... Like in my office which is where I did 95% of this, plus I removed the 900rr system and reinstalled the factory system all right next to my desk. I did have to move it into the garage and use the Forklift to suspend the bike while I put that blasted Y-pipe back on though. Even with a Forklift, that thing is a PITA!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.