2017-2018 Winter Build Thread - Wrist Twisters
 101Likes

post #1 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
2017-2018 Winter Build Thread

Because at the rate I get things done, this will definitely take all winter. Last winter I went ahead and swapped out the stock bars to Renthal Ultra-lows and mirrors to some bar-ends. This year I will be tackling front signals, integrated rear tail light, tail tidy, brake lines, exhaust, farkerlry and battery*. I wanted to get a better idea of the weight savings I'd see with these assorted changes, so I'll be keeping track of and noting the weight of what comes off and goes on.

Here is how she sat before 2 hours ago:

First order of business was farkelry or dress-up, because I'm a poser. I had some CF wrap lying around and have never loved the brushed AL and black plastic side covers. That's really the only thing I got done today. Notice how far away I took the photo. Its a real hack job, this stuff I used was not designed for really contoured surfaces. Might've added a few ounces, did not bother to weigh this stuff.

*While the side covers were off, I tried to swap out the stock battery for a Ballistic Evo3 4-cell. This did not work out, hence the star. Here is why, and weights for reference:
Stock:

Ballistic:

Fail - about 3/4" too tall.

Next up was prepping the tail for that CustomLED board I was bitching about but which Jon @ CustomLED has resolved for me. A Blinker Relay and Toggle Switch are on the way, the former will replace my stock relay so no weight savings/gain there and the toggle switch I suppose will add 1-2oz's. I haven't taken out the stock bulbs yet so no weights on those though I assume the change in weight by going to the LED board will be negligible, so I may or may not weigh those things.

Grab Handle (will stay off, eventually plugs will come and the weight will also be negligible): the reading is 1.010lbs, glare makes it hard to read. I did tare the weight of the prop.

Tail Piece: I believe I'll be taking the wire ends from the blinkers to make up with the CustomLED board, and I've re-used the side reflector brackets (which you'll see later) but both should not amount to more than a few ounces. Again I did tare the weight of the prop and the weight is 2.154lbs.

Waiting to go on still are a pair of Techspec tank pads (.485lbs), G&J brake lines front and rear, Watsen LED's for the front and this Delkevic exhaust. BTW sooooo many thanks to Nealio for your help and texts regarding the Delkevics and CustomLED! I was on the fence about both but after hearing that sound clip and your info on the lights I pulled the trigger on both.
One Delkevic DS70 9" Can w/mounting bracket and rubber spacer:

And their mid/y-pipe:

Works out to nearly 10lbs on the nose (10.006 to be exact, but remove the weight of the packaging on the midpipe), whereas I think someone reported the stocker combo is like 30lbs. So that's nice.

So far, that should net about a 22lbs weight savings. If I try to go with the lightweight battery option I suppose I can bump it to 27'ish lbs. I never did get a chance to weigh the Renthals + bar end mirrors vs stock, but that seems like a good 3lbs savings as well. So 30lbs is probably all the weight savings I'll ever see from mods as I'm not planning on going any further and I'm not sure what my future tire choices will be.

Ah, and those reflector brackets got re-used here:

$0 tail tidy! I test-fitted the tail back on, clears the light nicely. So I think I'm sticking with this.

Worked until my back hurt today so I'm going to rest a bit before I tackle the lighting next. Coolest part about this project so far IMO: everything I bought has been made in America, well except the Watsens but Canada is close enough

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 05:27 PM
The Cripple

Damn you bought Watsen's?

Should have bought mine I got for sale. You're going to lose the running light option unless you make a harness to restore it.

post #3 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I checked the Classifieds too! Did I miss your listing?!

Al

post #4 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Optio

Garage
Looking good man! I have noting planned for the bike. Maybe the 6 spoke conversion because I have all the parts of the bike doesnít sell. Aside from that, going to take a stab at building my own AR15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #5 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Tesserarius

Hey Hung. I like what you're doing to that 04. I had a Silver one, about 14 years ago. I did a lot of the same thing you are.

I had Satos. Those Delks look very "Satoish". I'll bet you're going to like them a lot. I assume there are 2....

I've had real good luck with Shorai batteries.

What part of Illinois are you from?

post #6 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Centurion

Am I the only one not seeing pics?

post #7 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Looking good man! I have noting planned for the bike. Maybe the 6 spoke conversion because I have all the parts of the bike doesnít sell. Aside from that, going to take a stab at building my own AR15.

Well GL with the sale either way! Have you put it up for sale with like a bike broker? That's how I sold my car last year, because nobody around here was buying RWD convertibles during the winter. Went to some guy down in Texas for a bit more than I was expecting too.

Al
post #8 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Hey Hung. I like what you're doing to that 04. I had a Silver one, about 14 years ago. I did a lot of the same thing you are.

I had Satos. Those Delks look very "Satoish". I'll bet you're going to like them a lot. I assume there are 2....

I've had real good luck with Shorai batteries.

What part of Illinois are you from?
Yup there are a pair of cans going on. I originally was not going to go with the CF's, I'm not sure what possessed me to go with them over the regular SS versions (which were $100 cheaper....) but now that I did the CF wrap on those side covers I think I am going to be happy with the look, for sure the sound! Also originally was going to go with a Shorai but it was an $80 premium over the Ballistic. In hindsight, I should have gone that route.

I'm in Bloomingdale, NW suburbs.

Al
post #9 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 PM
919 Rider

Love the silver 919.
I might paint mine silver!
Also love the cans. Gonna look and SOUND great on your bike.

post #10 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Well GL with the sale either way! Have you put it up for sale with like a bike broker? That's how I sold my car last year, because nobody around here was buying RWD convertibles during the winter. Went to some guy down in Texas for a bit more than I was expecting too.

I have not. Not in a hurry and itís not a ďmust sellĒ. Just waiting patiently for the right deal to come along. Did the broker charge fees?

-Michael Jordan
post #11 of 223 Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
He took something like $200 from the sale IIRC (from a $20,100 sale). I kept it at their lot, they did the detailing/washing/photos/advertising and then arrangement for delivery when the sale was done. It was shockingly easy and quick.

Al
post #12 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 05:10 AM
Pilus Posterior

Is anyone else NOT seeing any pics?

Maybe it's my ISP, but I got zero pics.
FTL900 likes this.

post #13 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
He took something like $200 from the sale IIRC (from a $20,100 sale). I kept it at their lot, they did the detailing/washing/photos/advertising and then arrangement for delivery when the sale was done. It was shockingly easy and quick.

Thanks! Iíll take a look if I donít have luck in the spring. Do you remember the name? PS, Iím also only seeing a couple pics. Most show as broken links.

-Michael Jordan
post #14 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Centurion

Garage
i can't see them either. probably used some third party to upload instead of the default forum mechanism

post #15 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 07:15 AM
just send it.

Garage
I cannot see them either. Looks like the pictures were hot linked from some sort of google account.

[This space for rent]
post #16 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Yeah I was tryin to link from Google photos. Will try to edit the post when I'm back in front of my computer.

Al
post #17 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Cricket cricket....

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #18 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Doesn't work. Will try and figure out an alternative.

Ok reposting again with new links from Imgur. Hope this works.

Because at the rate I get things done, this will definitely take all winter. Last winter I went ahead and swapped out the stock bars to Renthal Ultra-lows and mirrors to some bar-ends. This year I will be tackling front signals, integrated rear tail light, tail tidy, brake lines, exhaust, farkerlry and battery*. I wanted to get a better idea of the weight savings I'd see with these assorted changes, so I'll be keeping track of and noting the weight of what comes off and goes on.

Here is how she sat before 2 hours ago:

First order of business was farkelry or dress-up, because I'm a poser. I had some CF wrap lying around and have never loved the brushed AL and black plastic side covers. That's really the only thing I got done today. Notice how far away I took the photo. Its a real hack job, this stuff I used was not designed for really contoured surfaces. Might've added a few ounces, did not bother to weigh this stuff.

*While the side covers were off, I tried to swap out the stock battery for a Ballistic Evo3 4-cell. This did not work out, hence the star. Here is why, and weights for reference:
Stock:

Ballistic:

Fail - about 3/4" too tall.

Next up was prepping the tail for that CustomLED board I was bitching about but which Jon @ CustomLED has resolved for me. A Blinker Relay and Toggle Switch are on the way, the former will replace my stock relay so no weight savings/gain there and the toggle switch I suppose will add 1-2oz's. I haven't taken out the stock bulbs yet so no weights on those though I assume the change in weight by going to the LED board will be negligible, so I may or may not weigh those things.

Grab Handle (will stay off, eventually plugs will come and the weight will also be negligible): the reading is 1.010lbs, glare makes it hard to read. I did tare the weight of the prop.

Tail Piece: I believe I'll be taking the wire ends from the blinkers to make up with the CustomLED board, and I've re-used the side reflector brackets (which you'll see later) but both should not amount to more than a few ounces. Again I did tare the weight of the prop and the weight is 2.154lbs.

Waiting to go on still are a pair of Techspec tank pads (.485lbs), G&J brake lines front and rear, Watsen LED's for the front and this Delkevic exhaust. BTW sooooo many thanks to Nealio for your help and texts regarding the Delkevics and CustomLED! I was on the fence about both but after hearing that sound clip and your info on the lights I pulled the trigger on both.
One Delkevic DS70 9" Can w/mounting bracket and rubber spacer:

And their mid/y-pipe:

Works out to nearly 10lbs on the nose (10.006 to be exact, but remove the weight of the packaging on the midpipe), whereas I think someone reported the stocker combo is like 30lbs. So that's nice.

So far, that should net about a 22lbs weight savings. If I try to go with the lightweight battery option I suppose I can bump it to 27'ish lbs. I never did get a chance to weigh the Renthals + bar end mirrors vs stock, but that seems like a good 3lbs savings as well. So 30lbs is probably all the weight savings I'll ever see from mods as I'm not planning on going any further and I'm not sure what my future tire choices will be.

Ah, and those reflector brackets got re-used here:

$0 tail tidy! I test-fitted the tail back on, clears the light nicely. So I think I'm sticking with this.

Worked until my back hurt today so I'm going to rest a bit before I tackle the lighting next. Coolest part about this project so far IMO: everything I bought has been made in America, well except the Watsens but Canada is close enough

Al
post #19 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! Iíll take a look if I donít have luck in the spring. Do you remember the name? PS, Iím also only seeing a couple pics. Most show as broken links.

Yup it was Steven Todd Leasing up in Northfield. Worked with a Mike there. Very solid team with some good clientele (read: nice cars for sale).

Al
post #20 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 09:52 AM
919 Rider

I can see the pics.
I'm special.

post #21 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
oh wow no auto-resize from Imgur. They're YUGE!

Al
post #22 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Centurion

If weight loss is your primary goal you are missing some low hanging fruit. Remove the inserts behind the passenger pegs. Had mine off since almost day 1 (in 2002) & they are heavy; looks better without too. Obviously there for some sort of dampening but I surely cant tell any difference. Swap the rear axle for one from a F4i.

post #23 of 223 Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Just went at those peg plates. Nearly destroyed an allen key and destroyed the head right off the bat, so I took it as a sign to stop for the night.

Did manage to get the CustomLED integrated tail light installed first though. Got it nearly all done without a hitch, but ultimately managed to completely destroy the control switch by over-tightening it during mounting. Grrrr. Anyhow here's how she looks now. As Badmoon mentioned in the CustomLED thread, the lighting seems to work just fine with the default board programming and stock lens.

Tank pads also went on.
badmoon692008 likes this.

Al
post #24 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
If weight loss is your primary goal you are missing some low hanging fruit. Remove the inserts behind the passenger pegs. Had mine off since almost day 1 (in 2002) & they are heavy; looks better without too. Obviously there for some sort of dampening but I surely cant tell any difference. Swap the rear axle for one from a F4i.
What gain do you get from swapping the rear axle?

I took off those passenger peg things and damn they were heavy.

OP don't forget those pair valves at the top of the engine, there's some hoses and things that can be removed.

post #25 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 12:07 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
What gain do you get from swapping the rear axle?
The F4i axle is hollow:
So some weight is saved.
And the super slick trik PitBull rear axle tie down system can be used re transporting the bike.

post #26 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Took a stab at the exhaust today (which requires removal of the stock y-pipe) but gave up. Googleit has a video showing how he used a piece of 1/2" rebar through the center-stand mounts to support the rear on two jack stands. I tried this with a socket extension and ran into this problem.

As noted in his video, the bar will only go so far on the clutch-side of the bike until it hits the kickstand.

Not sure if its an issue with the jackstands I'm using, but there is not enough room between the center-stand mount and the kickstand tab to slide the jackstand in properly. This is as far as I could get, but I did not try putting any weight on it.

Another angle showing the tight space. These shots are all from behind the kickstand, looking forward.

Googleit if you're reading, can you please share how you got around this issue? I thought about removing the kickstand but wanted to see if there's a better solution. I know lots of people lift the rear by hanging it from the rafters or exposed beams but I don't have those in my garage. I *do* have a heavy-bag stand that I might use if the support-from-the-bottom method doesn't work out. No A-Frame ladder readily available for me.

I did manage to get those rear peg inserts off. About 13oz for each assembly. Thanks for the heads up Bryce!

Al
post #27 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM
McTavish

I've used a jackstand under the lean stand tab with the stand folded up, then another stand under where the right hand side plate mates to the lower frame extension. One can either shim between the stand and the pickup points on the bike, or between the stand and the floor, if you can't get it level enough due to the different pickup point heights.

post #28 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Thanks I'm going to give it another shot after the holidays. I did notice the bike wanted to lean to the brake side if I tried to support it on the extension-through-center-stand-mount method, seems to be a considerable height difference. My other thought is to rig up a U shape with a 2x4 and wood blocks and just jack it all up with a hydraulic jack I have, then drop it all on two stands. Because the heavy bag stand I have is designed for a 100lbs bag, and I've done pull-ups on it but not sure how it'd hold up with half the bike's weight hanging for an extended period of time.

Al
post #29 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 08:13 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I checked the Classifieds too! Did I miss your listing?!
Should still be up.

post #30 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Thanks I'm going to give it another shot after the holidays. I did notice the bike wanted to lean to the brake side if I tried to support it on the extension-through-center-stand-mount method, seems to be a considerable height difference. My other thought is to rig up a U shape with a 2x4 and wood blocks and just jack it all up with a hydraulic jack I have, then drop it all on two stands. Because the heavy bag stand I have is designed for a 100lbs bag, and I've done pull-ups on it but not sure how it'd hold up with half the bike's weight hanging for an extended period of time.

If you feel like swinging up to Hoffman Estates (Ela and Palatine is the major intersection) you can borrow my stand. You can easily hang the back from it. Front too. I have straps you can use too. Shoot me a PM if you want it and Iíll give you my address.

-Michael Jordan
post #31 of 223 Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 PM
The Cripple

Hung, you can change the CUSTOM LED programming by grounding the gray wire as if it was a switch.

post #32 of 223 Old 12-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Should still be up.
TWSS

post #33 of 223 Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

If you feel like swinging up to Hoffman Estates (Ela and Palatine is the major intersection) you can borrow my stand. You can easily hang the back from it. Front too. I have straps you can use too. Shoot me a PM if you want it and Iíll give you my address.

That would in fact be awesome! PM coming

Al
post #34 of 223 Old 12-23-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Hung, you can change the CUSTOM LED programming by grounding the gray wire as if it was a switch.
Yes Jon from Custom LED mentioned that as well. He's been amazingly helpful, great customer service. He did mention that the signal might "bounce" a bit using this method though.

Made a short video I guess for anyone that is interested in this light. https://youtu.be/SfR_7tr2QnY

Al
post #35 of 223 Old 12-24-2017, 05:09 AM
Tesserarius

Hey Hung, make the curb feelers, and the swingarm stickers go away.

Where are you on the battery? Shorai equals massive reduction.

A few guys went so far as to cut off the passenger peg extension. I didn't go that far.

Go nuts. Buy a lathe and start drilling bolts.

A small GIVI windscreen will actually add a little weight, but that may be more than offset by an aerodynamic advantage......something to think about.

post #36 of 223 Old 12-24-2017, 12:32 PM
919 Rider

You could swap out your stock tank cap, heavy, for an aftermarket alloy cap, light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170608_101506-1-1_1514147429624.jpg (121.6 KB, 12 views)
ewmin3m likes this.

post #37 of 223 Old 12-28-2017, 09:37 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Took a stab at the exhaust today (which requires removal of the stock y-pipe) but gave up. Googleit has a video showing how he used a piece of 1/2" rebar through the center-stand mounts to support the rear on two jack stands. I tried this with a socket extension and ran into this problem.
Do you have a painters ladder? Take the ladder and extend it so it straddles your bike. Then take some strap and tie one end to the ladder and the other to the grab handle.

I stole this from @voodooridr... I had to pull it from Google's way back machine so the quality is terrible, but should give you an idea what I'm talking about. voodooridr is using plumbing parts, and is holding up the front of the bike, but you can apply the same idea to holding up the rear.

[This space for rent]
post #38 of 223 Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I've used it on the rear of the XRL

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #39 of 223 Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Grrr, the damn stickers on the swingarm do not want to come off without a fight. Tried warming then up first, no dice.

No ladder available unfortunately but it sounds like Bartsitarski may have a solution for me! Since our local weather calls for snot-freezing conditions for the foreseeable future, we're gonna meet up and at least TALK about riding!

Al
post #40 of 223 Old 12-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Tesserarius

I remember, a few years back, I remember seeing a really nice old Honda Sabre. It had the stupid "Wear your Helmet" on the gas tank. The sticker eventually dried up, and took the paint off the tank. Then the tank rusted where the sticker used to be. Those old stickers are nasty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode