Who has CRASHED & WHY? Tell us your brief story - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Who has CRASHED & WHY? Tell us your brief story

Last week I got hit by a car on my sportbike on the highway doing about 60mph at about midnight. (right lane driving normal) The ********* never stopped so I suspect he may have been drunk. So.......I'm trying to learn something, maybe statistics as if you crashed, was it your fault or not, time of day, and highway or backroads. I get the feeling that nightime riding may be against most of the odds (drunks, deer, re-treads, misc,etc.) but want to hear otherwise. SO TELL US YOUR CRASH STORY CONDITIONS.

~....So we can learn from each other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 AM
919 City Pilot

1st Trying to ride home one handed with lunch in the other....dropped at low speed -mid day perect cond

2nd. Street racing and a caddy pulled in front of me.....Lowside at 25-30 mph.... Night, no street lights (11pm drunk time zone)

3rs trying to make the 919 a duel sport and ride in the mud uphill.....lowside at 10-15 mph Mid day,construction zone wetted down,muddy ruts.

Not listed many years on mopeds and dirt lol.........

post #3 of 30 Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I was driving home from the dealership after picking up a manual for my Bandit on the I-10 during rush hour in Tucson. Started to rain, I was cruising in the right hand lane at about 60 mph. Some guy didn't see me and clipped my front tire causing the wobble of doom. I went down and skid across three lanes of traffic before ending up in the fast lane.

Couple people helped me pick up my bike and walk it to the shoulder on the right (one was an off-duty fire fighter, another was a trucker who mentioned that had I not kept skidding out of his lane, he would have hit me, and his truck was parked about 100 ft from where I had come to a rest). Fire fighter said he called 911, then they left, and I waited 10 min for a fire engine to arrive. They seemed annoyed that I wasn't hurt (a bit of road rash on my hand that they put a bandage on...but didn't clean first so gravel was stuck in there and sore/partially numb on one side) and left shortly after they came. Another 20 for an officer to arrive to write up a report. While waiting for a tow truck and having him tell me about all the dead bikers he'd seen, cop asked if he could leave me on the side of the road because he had a call. Tow truck driver came a half hour after that, and the two of us hoisted the bike onto the bed.

I wrote a bit about it for school because I found it fascinating how emergency services worked in Tucson and how cold everyone who was there to help me was...except the two truck driver. Nice guy, gave me a cheap rate and when he noticed I left my helmet on the side of the road, offered to go pick it up and leave it underneath my bike, and did.

As for the accident, the fault was mostly on my side, too green to be in the situation I was in.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 AM
lusting over something...

two days ago in my parking lot. guy backed out of his spot without checking to see if I was there. not my fault, only a few bruises. Insurance is taking forever to get back to me. oh... 6:50 pm and clear/sunny, with some fine gravel in the parking lot.

post #5 of 30 Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Last month low sided. Perfect cnditions. With the detailed analysis of everyone here at WT and pictures of the crash site, I have learned it was my inexperience that cause the fall. Combination of overthinking, too fast, improper cornering tactics, and target fixation. Still very scary, but a VERY good learning experience.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Last week I got hit by a car on my sportbike on the highway doing about 60mph at about midnight. (right lane driving normal) The ********* never stopped so I suspect he may have been drunk. So.......I'm trying to learn something, maybe statistics as if you crashed, was it your fault or not, time of day, and highway or backroads. I get the feeling that nightime riding may be against most of the odds (drunks, deer, re-treads, misc,etc.) but want to hear otherwise. SO TELL US YOUR CRASH STORY CONDITIONS.

~....So we can learn from each other.
Smitty!!! Very sorry to hear about that! How are you doing?!

You have excellent points why not to night ride. Day or night never entrust a drunk/idiot to pass you safely in the right lanes. I stay in the left lanes and keep looking for them to provide the most reaction time and fewer folks passing is lower risk.

WT Bros/Sis, Please enjoy the ride!

post #7 of 30 Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

evening ride, following a fast buddy back to town on roads i didn't know and he has a bad habit of blowing thru stop signs and turns... got sucked into riding over my head and blew wide in a turn coming up to a stop sign. bike smacked the guard rail hard and i tumbled down the road. a few others on the track tho...

post #8 of 30 Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I lifted my shield at high speed and the turbulence blew me off the bike.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #9 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Milites Gregarius

Too many little tipovers and drops to mention.
Two of significance though.
1) Riding my bike from the back of my store around to the front. I'm crusiing along making a right hand turn when some a**hole decides to pass a stopped car and ends up racing towards me in my own lane. I'm turning right at about 5 mph and hammer the brakes, narrowly missing the car. The problem is that I lose my balance and the bike and I end up falling backwards. I hit my head on the curb HARD! I mean seeing stars hard. Fortunately I had pulled my helmet on, even though it wasn't my usual routine to do so for such a short ride. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, I probably would have taken an ambulance ride.
2) Riding behind a faster friend on country back roads. I'm riding over my head and decide I'm going to take the inside line on a tight right hander. No problem except for the large amount of sand that has washed to the inside of the curve. I lowside at 60 mph and slide across the road into the opposite ditch. Fortunately there were no cars coming. Badly bent, possibly broken left ankle, road rash on right leg (wearing jeans), kevlar burns on right arm (from protective jacket). Nothing two weeks of crutches, scrubbing out my wounds daily, and gulping ibuprofen didn't fix. Seven years later my left ankle still twinges. LOL

post #10 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Glendora Ridge Road, about noon, perfect conditions, fully geared up. Collided head on with another bike WAY over on my side around blind right turn. He had no gear on (pre helmet law).

Me -- compound fracture left Humerus, torn radial nerve, crushed left hand, huge gouge taken out of helmet.

Him -- partial traumatic amputation of left leg above knee, lacerated femoral artery, depressed skull fracture 4.2 CM diameter, subdural haemotoma. Died of exanguation and cerebral hemmorage in transit.

Lessons -- at least wear a helmet. This also caused me to reevaluate my riding style resulting in my "canyon lines" in use to this day. Here's a quick overview:

The most important aspect is to make sure you have a clear view of the exit of a turn before committing to a line through the turn. There may be any number of hazards that would not be visible if you take a racing line, and you would not be able to avoid them at the speed a racing line would put you in the exit. In left handers exiting close to the shoulder can put you in dirt or gravel thrown onto the road by cars swinging wide around the corner. With adequate sight lines and a late apex you will know the condition of the entire road, and can adjust speed and lean to avoid hazards. In right handers the condition of the shoulder at the apex can be determined before you are headed toward it. Remember cars commonly go onto the dirt inside the shoulder and throw it onto the road, so be especially careful to know if this is the case before cutting in. One drawback to late apexing in blind right turns is it may put you in the path of an oncoming car or motorcycle that has cut into your lane whether by accident or on purpose, so always assume that is exactly what is going to happen and take a tight line close to the shoulder as soon as you know the condition of the apex. Once a sight line through the turn is established, you can accelerate out.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Glendora Ridge Road, about noon, perfect conditions, fully geared up. Collided head on with another bike WAY over on my side around blind right turn. He had no gear on (pre helmet law).

Me -- compound fracture left Humerus, torn radial nerve, crushed left hand, huge gouge taken out of helmet.

Him -- partial traumatic amputation of left leg above knee, lacerated femoral artery, depressed skull fracture 4.2 CM diameter, subdural haemotoma. Died of exanguation and cerebral hemmorage in transit.

Lessons -- at least wear a helmet. This also caused me to reevaluate my riding style resulting in my "canyon lines" in use to this day. Here's a quick overview:

The most important aspect is to make sure you have a clear view of the exit of a turn before committing to a line through the turn. There may be any number of hazards that would not be visible if you take a racing line, and you would not be able to avoid them at the speed a racing line would put you in the exit. In left handers exiting close to the shoulder can put you in dirt or gravel thrown onto the road by cars swinging wide around the corner. With adequate sight lines and a late apex you will know the condition of the entire road, and can adjust speed and lean to avoid hazards. In right handers the condition of the shoulder at the apex can be determined before you are headed toward it. Remember cars commonly go onto the dirt inside the shoulder and throw it onto the road, so be especially careful to know if this is the case before cutting in. One drawback to late apexing in blind right turns is it may put you in the path of an oncoming car or motorcycle that has cut into your lane whether by accident or on purpose, so always assume that is exactly what is going to happen and take a tight line close to the shoulder as soon as you know the condition of the apex. Once a sight line through the turn is established, you can accelerate out.

Rob
Wow Rob that was an extremely sobering accident! We are so very glad you survived it and are still riding! Thank you for the excellent advice!

post #12 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Wow Rob that was an extremely sobering accident! We are so very glad you survived it and are still riding! Thank you for the excellent advice!
You're welcome. If it helps prevent just one serious accident it was worth it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Information from coroner's report. All sorts of extra injuries, you just got the highlights.

Rob
Wow, If he was wearing a helmet YOU would have been worse off. Amazing how it worked out.

post #14 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Discen

I low sided my nighthawk 250 at 40 around a turn. Perfect weather, not an experienced road rider. Road rash on right arm and right ankle. Got up and rode the wrecked bike home. Gotta love the Hondas.

post #15 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:

Rob
That is exactly the way I choose my lines. Excellent advice.

post #16 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Tired One

The other week I was out riding over lunch, took a corner a bit too fast and saw there was some gravel there. Luckily I caught the gravel and hit the brakes hard. Kept it upright, but rode into the ditch. Almost positive I would have lowsided it otherwise.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death…
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #17 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Wow, If he was wearing a helmet YOU would have been worse off. Amazing how it worked out.
I'm not sure the helmet would have helped the amputation/femoral artery issue...

post #18 of 30 Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Baddaddy View Post
I'm not sure the helmet would have helped the amputation/femoral artery issue...
I agree, but then Rob's head would have absorbed higher impact from a wider rigid object, and done more damage to him. Very glad Rob survived his horrible over line assault! With optional helmets, the surviving helmetless riders would be very skilled. So after Rob's story I'd support making helmets optional.

post #19 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Power slide coming out of a left hander. Didn't have the brains or balls to stay with it. Chopped throttle. High side.

Lo sided in 7 at Putnam. Never really figured out why.

post #20 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
evening ride, following a fast buddy back to town on roads i didn't know and he has a bad habit of blowing thru stop signs and turns... got sucked into riding over my head and blew wide in a turn coming up to a stop sign. bike smacked the guard rail hard and i tumbled down the road. a few others on the track tho...
I remember another crash.................

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #21 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

we shall not speak of such things... damn ditch

post #22 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

1993 - I totaled my almost totally restored GPZ 750 - I had just gotten my new exhaust so I was going to ride it to work then to the sshop to have it installed, but, istead of taking it to the shop, it went to the junkyard thanks to a unchanied Huskie - Hit the dog doing about 30, slid for a while - Results - Road rach on rt. arm/ rt. hip / rt. Knee, dead dog and totally screwed bike . It bent both forks, bent the frame, but the worst was it ground into the ignition pick up area . Sad,sad, day -

post #23 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
1993 - I totaled my almost totally restored GPZ 750 - I had just gotten my new exhaust so I was going to ride it to work then to the sshop to have it installed, but, istead of taking it to the shop, it went to the junkyard thanks to a unchanied Huskie - Hit the dog doing about 30, slid for a while - Results - Road rach on rt. arm/ rt. hip / rt. Knee, dead dog and totally screwed bike . It bent both forks, bent the frame, but the worst was it ground into the ignition pick up area . Sad,sad, day -
Now with handsfree laws, wildlife/drunks are the biggest threats. Very glad you survived that! Surprised that 30mph did so much damage. LEO should have arrested its owner for allowing it to harm you!

post #24 of 30 Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Tirone

First time I dropped one was last October. I was trying to tow it home (dead battery) 8 blocks away when the guy behind the wheel took off too fast and I went down.

Bike was scratched up on the left side. The only thing hurt on me was my pride.

post #25 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Al

A few moons ago now,,,

Entered a gorge with friends on a ride. It was raining. I got past a truck, they all didn't. I came out the otherside and slowed right down to wait for them. Was doing a slow 40mph (70kph) and I overtook a car, but she decided to turn right across my line just as I went past, no indicators or anything. Dragged me around with her. The bike flipped a few times then came to rest. I went under the car and out the rear. Luckily I went under the rear tyre just as she slammed on the anchors, which must have taken some weight off the wheel. I had a tyre mark across my yellow wet weather suit, right across my belly. Went to hospital and apart from a small chunk of flesh ripped out of my knee area and a huge bruise across my stomach (sh*t that hurt), I was AOK.

There's not a lot of room under a car...

post #26 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Clipped an Accord that couldn't quite make it to the median while crossing the four lane I was riding on. She just decided to stop in my lane instead. Swerved to miss and broke my fibula and tibia by clipping her rear bumper. Would have lost my foot if I hadn't had my boots on. Also cracked my case and damaged the radiator, but didn't fall off. Police report said 9:52 AM, clear and sunny conditions.

post #27 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

1. Foot stuck on the peg when I leant over too far trying to make a tight U-turn.

Dumb mistake.

2. Turned in too quickly on a super slow corner when I wasn't prepared to drive out of it and just slammed the bike down on it's side.

Dumb mistake.

3. I was looking in my mirrors for another rider (it was Sporty though so it's understandable) and target fixated on the edge of the road when I looked up and saw that I was quickly approaching a left hand sweeper I wasn't ready for.

Dumb mistake with good reasons...

post #28 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMulford View Post

3. I was looking in my mirrors for another rider (it was Sporty though so it's understandable) and target fixated on the edge of the road when I looked up and saw that I was quickly approaching a left hand sweeper I wasn't ready for.

Dumb mistake with good reasons...

Admit it, you were trying to keep up with a Goldwing

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
No life like low life

Middle of the day clear and sunny, riding through town and some lady in an SUV turned left in front of me (more like into me, I hit her front bumper). Left me with a shattered ankle, broken arm, broken pinky fingers, and thumbs on both hands (I must have braced for the crash and tried to stop my body with my arms), lots of cuts and bruises, some hardware in my body and some cool X-rays. I spent several months in a wheel chair cause you cant use crutches with a broken arm and hands. Some of the injury's still bother me today, but I recieved an insurance settlement, and invested the money, so hopefully I can retire early someday. Even trade off? Not really, but at least I got something.

Knees in the breeze!
post #30 of 30 Old 07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Al

The very FIRST accident I ever had...

The very first one I ever had. Almost too far back to recall, but...

Lost my license for 6 months. Just got it back. Going for very first ride with a few friends. Hit a corner at moderately fast speed. I'll show them I can still beat them. Run a bit wide and hit loose gravel on edge. Bike lies down and slides off the corner. I follow on my hands and knees. I went under a barbed wire fence and slid side-on into a corner fence strainer post (you know, one of those real thick meaty SOB's). HOSPITAL... Smahed hip/pelvis, broken ribs, ruptured kidney, a bruise that went from my belly button right around to my spine on my lefthand side. Peed blood for a week...

Out of hospital afer 2 weeks,, allowed hone to heal up. Home of one day, when I hobbled out to the garage (can't walk on smashed pelvis yet) to fix bike which is relatively umdamaged as it went down only onto grass. Bike repaired in one day. Next day, I went for a ride, after lots of difficulty mounting it with aching pelvis. Came to traffic lights in centre of town, never thought, put left leg down, normal reaction isn't it. OOOUUCCHH... Legs folds. Lay bike over on side. People come running help to give me a hand to stand bike and me up, give me a hand to remount bike. I ride straight home, lean bike against house and struggle to get off bike. Never thought about this side of it... Pelvis aches like mad now, real bad.. Go to doctor. Admit my stupidity. Get a severe telling off from doctor. Goes gome to rest up for the next month... All better now. Out for another ride...

Ahh,, much better... Normal business resumed...!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode