Where do you get your tires mounted? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Where do you get your tires mounted?

I understand the local guys have to make money to stay in business. What I don't understand is how one place qouted me $160 for a tire I can get online for $120 shipped and then said it was $47 to mount it (even if I bought it from him and removed the wheel from the bike myself!). He said $60 to mount the tire if I didn't buy it from him! So I called around and everyone is in the $35 - $45 range for mounting and balancing. Where do you guys go to get the tires you bought online mounted?

I used to go to a small motorcycle shop and they only charged $20, but they closed when the owner died. Everyone else around here is trying to hose me on the tire AND the mounting!

Edit - All these prices are with me removing the wheels and bringing just the wheel and new tire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchev
I understand the local guys have to make money to stay in business. What I don't understand is how one place qouted me $160 for a tire I can get online for $120 shipped and then said it was $47 to mount it (even if I bought it from him and removed the wheel from the bike myself!). He said $60 to mount the tire if I didn't buy it from him! So I called around and everyone is in the $35 - $45 range for mounting and balancing. Where do you guys go to get the tires you bought online mounted?

I used to go to a small motorcycle shop and they only charged $20, but they closed when the owner died. Everyone else around here is trying to hose me on the tire AND the mounting!
We go to Awarbles house and borrow the one he just purchased.

post #3 of 28 Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Are the shops quoting you a mounting price based on the tires being off of the bike, or on the bike? Around here, I get the Michelin P/P for $200 a set from the dealer, and they charge $20 per tire off the bike.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Southwest Moto Tires is a good source. Prices are low plus they offer free shipping when you purchase two or more tires.
Mounting is another story. A Warble has a cool new machine but that does not do you any good. Other than shopping around you could do the DIY approach if you know how.

post #5 of 28 Old 05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Princeps Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

when my tires wear out... I just buy a bike with new tires.

post #6 of 28 Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Discen

Once you have some practice and the correct tools, DIY is not that bad.

This is the site that got me started..... http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

post #7 of 28 Old 05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Living the dream

I get mine mounted on my wheels:tt2:

Seriously though. Sometimes you can pay a mechanic on the side for $20 a wheel.

I am talking with a buddy about getting a tire changer.

post #8 of 28 Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Well I found an old school harley mechanic that's been working on bikes for 27 years... his operation looks shade tree from the road but inside he's got the equipment to do things right. Had a lot of customer's bikes in there too. He mounted and balanced my tire for $20

post #9 of 28 Old 05-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Dark8

I bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42927

It makes changing tires much easier, especially getting the beads broke on tubless tires. So far in the 9 months I have had it I have changed 5 tires on my 919 so I figure it has paid for itself.

post #10 of 28 Old 05-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Removed User 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark8
I bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42927

It makes changing tires much easier, especially getting the beads broke on tubless tires. So far in the 9 months I have had it I have changed 5 tires on my 919 so I figure it has paid for itself.
What about balancing??

post #11 of 28 Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyresto
What about balancing??
This should not be a issue. Do what the tire vendors do at the track. Perform a Static balance the old fashioned way with your axle. Should be good for 180 mph!

post #12 of 28 Old 05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda Addict

Take mine to a local small shop and he does it for $20 a wheel. Not bad compared to the reaming a dealership is waiting to give ya.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

I took my two tires to a local "small" shop who had done some work on a dirt bike of mine. I asked if he could mount tubeless tires. Yup, $20 each. I thought I'd found a gold! Then I asked if he had a tire machine (small shop). He said "no, I do it by hand." I asked how he kept from scratching the rims. He said, "Well if you're afraid of a few scratches, you should ask someone else to do them!" I said, "you are exactly right!" I turned and walked out. I don't need any scratches when they are easy enough to prevent.

post #14 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 08:46 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I take my tires to my buds at the Honda Suzuki Yamaha KTM shop. Notice there is no Kawasaki in that name. The Kwak shop charges me 28 bucks. I buy my tires on line. The HSYK shop charges me 10 bucks. But I like the guys at the HSYK shop and they give me a special deal because I bring them a six pack of Coronas, two limes and a sixer of Coke or Pepsi. That way they can kick it right after the doors close and the bikes are all in and down an ice cold barley pop or a soda pop. You would be surprised how a little gift for your pro mechanics can get the special attention that you need

I get my tires at Motorcycle Superstore in Oregon.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #15 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Mama told me not to come™

I take mine to Barney's (Local Honda Dealer) here in St. Pete. They charge $30 per tire on the bike and $15 off the bike, IF you buy the tires from them. Their prices are very good for tires but they have this sales gimmick that bugs me sometimes. They mark up the tires to 2x the normal price and then put up a sign that says "All tires 50% off". I took flicky down there the last time and some new sales guy was giving me the speech on how much he was saving me. I'm just playing along because it's quicker then arguing with the newb but flicky was about to go on this guy.

I've tried several times to beat thier prices with the cheapest online deals I could find. When all is said and done, Barney's was $4 more for a set of tires. Consider the convience of them having the tires in stock, me knowing a lot of the guys, and I can't beat thier deal.

Let's Agree To Respect Each Others Views, No Matter How Wrong Yours Might Be.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I buy em cheap off the internet(spend 20 minutes shopping around for bottom dollar). Ron Ayers always was good because of very low shipping.

I last took them to a Harley shop to get them mounted for cheaper than anywhere else. How did I find them to be cheapest? I spent 20 minutes and called around for lowest price. Get off your butt and research.

Poop

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #17 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

under normal conditions I change my tires myself using a homemade bead breaker & 3 tire spoons and balance them on a homemade balance stand. After you do a couple pair you learn all the tricks and it takes longer to R&R the wheel than to change the tires. PLUS I have the benefit of knowing it was done to my satisfaction.

post #18 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:01 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10
under normal conditions I change my tires myself using a homemade bead breaker & 3 tire spoons and balance them on a homemade balance stand. After you do a couple pair you learn all the tricks and it takes longer to R&R the wheel than to change the tires. PLUS I have the benefit of knowing it was done to my satisfaction.
But what if you went blind or something?

General George S. Patton
post #19 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #20 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
I take mine to Barney's (Local Honda Dealer) here in St. Pete. They charge $30 per tire on the bike and $15 off the bike, IF you buy the tires from them. Their prices are very good for tires but they have this sales gimmick that bugs me sometimes. They mark up the tires to 2x the normal price and then put up a sign that says "All tires 50% off". I took flicky down there the last time and some new sales guy was giving me the speech on how much he was saving me. I'm just playing along because it's quicker then arguing with the newb but flicky was about to go on this guy.

I've tried several times to beat thier prices with the cheapest online deals I could find. When all is said and done, Barney's was $4 more for a set of tires. Consider the convience of them having the tires in stock, me knowing a lot of the guys, and I can't beat thier deal.

I HATE FREAKIN BARNEY'S !!!! They suck total ass! I wish they would all go to hell.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #21 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa
then I probably wouldn't mind it if i scratched them, but I never scratch them.
I can go by feel, yeah, women like that.

post #22 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Mine are changed at the local Kwakazuki dealer. They are a great group of people. They all do track days, and I can get em' changed for $20 a tire off the bike. The guys at the Honduh shop are highway robbery posing as a motorcycle dealer. We just had a new Yammie shop open up here, and they have a spankin' new facility, so I may check out their prices. Once I get the garage finished, I will be following in JetB's footsteps, and changing my own.

post #23 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja
I HATE FREAKIN BARNEY'S !!!! They suck total ass! I wish they would all go to hell.
So what you're saying is you'd consider shopping there again?

post #24 of 28 Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10
So what you're saying is you'd consider shopping there again?
LOL!!! Heck no, even if they gave me stuff for free i'd say no thanks. Those were the some of the dumbest people i have ever dealt with.

I ordered Hector a set of Michellin Pilet powers as a surprise and had him take his bike down there to have them mounted well about an hour later they roll his bike out with a set of Pirelli diablo's on his bike. Freakin retards.

I will never do business with them again. And as for the manager well I don't think i will ever be allowed back in there any way. Trust me he got an earfull.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #25 of 28 Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Love Machine

I go into my Father in law's garage and change them myself. My father & brother in law and I went in and bought the tire changer and balencer from a local motorcycle shop.....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #26 of 28 Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarble
I go into my Father in law's garage and change them myself. My father & brother in law and I went in and bought the tire changer and balencer from a local motorcycle shop.....
Cooooooooolllll

General George S. Patton
post #27 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
flicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider

I remember that day.... Thanks for holding me back NRR...:tt2:
I just think you get good deals because you flirt with the girl at the counter.
You're on a first name basis too...

post #28 of 28 Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

(Tri-Cities, Washington [not DC!], I don't have to say "State" because there is only one Washington and one Washington D.C.!!!!) Local huge HD/Honda/Kawa/Suzuki dealer (where I bought my 919) will only do tires they sell. Yamaha dealer will do them in the fall but too busy with their own tire and service stuff. An independent motorcycle shop (mostly caters to HD stuff) will do it for $40 per, off the bike. ...but just found a little KTM/Polaris/hardware store who was glad to do them for $25 each off the bike! They apologized for not being able to do them while I waited. "Can you pick them up tomorrow?" They're going to get all my other parts business from now on, too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode