What do I do if my bike has sat for months? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

What do I do if my bike has sat for months?

So I wrecked my bike a couple of months ago and it sat with no oil or gas in it. I've noticed surface rust in a few "sensitive" places such as the starter clutch assembly. I'm wondering if there is anything I should do before completing final reassembly of the alternator/cover assembly to address the rust. What I can see doesn't concern me (what I can see is in a non-wear area.) I am more concerned with rust in places like the cylinder/valve area(s) Any thoughts? Temperatures have ranged from just below freezing to near 80f. Humidity has ranged from bone-dry to near sweaty armpit conditions. None of the rust I see has yet to flake or scale, its just on the surface.

Thanks for any info you can share!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

My thought would be unless the engine has been sitting open and exposed you don't have much to worry about internally. If it were mine, I would clean off everything that's exposed and showing corrosion, fill it with oil and run briefly for a few minutes, drain that oil and fill with a fresh batch, then maybe do another oil and filter change after putting a 100 miles on it or so.

You might look inside the gas tank though, possible for rust to grow in an empty tank over time and that would probably involve having the tank professionally cleaned. I've seen that in older bikes anyway, probably not in a couple month's time though.

There are certainly guys on here that know far more about the inner workings of the 919 engine, so hopefully you'll hear from them as well. I assume this is your 919 we're talking about, right?

One question I just thought of for one of our mechanic members, is there a danger in firing up an engine that's been sitting awhile without any oil? Should some type of pre-lube be attempted? Can you squirt oil in the plug holes like an old car and turn the engine over by hand somehow?

post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 AM
919 City Pilot

if an engine has been sitting out in the backyard for a few years then the oil has left the head and now the rings may have rusted in place.

Said that it is always a good idea to pre oil anything that has been sitting.

Pull the plugs and a squirt a lil oil in there and turn it with the crank bolt. Or tust turn it over normaly without the plugs in....

Marvel works as well.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

It is the 919, and it's been in the garage either with a hole in the alternator cover, or the alternator cover off. Thanks for the info!

post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

oil
gas
go
change oil
gas
go
go
go
go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode