What bike should i buy? - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

What bike should i buy?

I have never owned or used a street bike before I'm 14 and have areas I could ride. (I live in the middle of nowhere) I know how to ride dirtbikes and stuff like that just never have rode a street bike. I want a 250 but bike should I get? I'm going to buy something used under 2500. And it would have to be something that could go 90. Thanks guys let me know what you think would be best. Oh btw I'm about 6ft and 215lbs if that helps. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-25-2015, 07:13 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrider1 View Post
I have never owned or used a street bike before I'm 14 and have areas I could ride. (I live in the middle of nowhere) I know how to ride dirtbikes and stuff like that just never have rode a street bike. I want a 250 but bike should I get? I'm going to buy something used under 2500. And it would have to be something that could go 90. Thanks guys let me know what you think would be best. Oh btw I'm about 6ft and 215lbs if that helps. Thanks
GSXR1000!...go big or go home

J/K!! Really don't do that^^

Being that ur only 14 you have a few years to go before you're legal on the road, but being you have some dirt bike experience I suggest doing what I did and begin your riding career with something you are already familiar with.....(drum roll).......a dirt bike!....really, my first street bike was a DRZ400S, it was great being very well acquainted with the style of bike so I could focus more on the other aspects of beginning on the road

:buell:
post #3 of 46 Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The first thing I recommend whenever asked that question is to take an MSF beginning rider course or its equivalent in your area. Even if you have years on a dirt bike it's a very good idea in that it will give you the basic knowledge to survive the first year on the street (even if you're not legal while doing it).

As to the bike: a dual sport with more street oriented tires is a good idea. Past that a used 250 Ninja is a good choice despite the fragile plastic bodywork. And, yes it will handle someone your size!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

post #4 of 46 Old 11-25-2015, 08:32 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Is the MSF course actually an option on some states?

Ours has been mandatory for all ages for about 5 years now

post #5 of 46 Old 11-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Tesserarius

It's an option in CA. I still took it though.

post #6 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 06:09 AM
Princeps Prior

Suzuki Sv650. Don't get a ninja 250. I rode one recently and it is way too small of a bike for me and I'm only 5' 10" 170. On top of that I was going 80 on the highway and it was almost tached out. I thought I was going to blow it up! The Sv is a perfect platform to learn on, keep long term and modify if you wish to do so.

post #7 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 08:24 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Well if we are getting serious here and you have the $$ the FZ-07 would be a great learner and better looking than the SV

post #8 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Grom!

post #9 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Brain stolen again?

Stick with the off road bikes for now. You are not old enough to operate street bikes on the road.

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #10 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Well if we are getting serious here and you have the $$ the FZ-07 would be a great learner and better looking than the SV
Not for $2500.

post #11 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Stick with the off road bikes for now. You are not old enough to operate street bikes on the road.
Ok dad. Lol

post #12 of 46 Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Josh

Garage
Hmm, I'm not sure there is a 250 on the planet that will haul a guy your size at 90 without feeling like it is going to explode. The KTM 390 probably would, or the Yamah R3, but those are not going to fall into your budget.

You also didn't mention what "style" you were wanting. For some reason most smaller bikes here in the US are "sporty" style bikes. I would never recommend the tiny cruisers, but there are a lot of decent "small" cruisers that won't make you look like a giant on them.

For $2500, I would recommend a Kawasaki Ninja 500 for a sporty bike. I know, they're ugly as sin and typically in terrible colors, but the engine is great and will give you more years than a 250 will. On the cruiser side of things, I would look for a Honda Shadow 750. They're everywhere, super reliable, and typically well cared for. They definitely don't make too much power for a beginner, and have a lot of aftermarket support if you want to customize it.

post #13 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Brain stolen again?

This whole thread reminds me of the bullshit letters to playboy asking for advice on sex.
14 year old kid want's advice on a streetbike? Everybody jumping in to lend a hand to the "youngster". HA!
I think it's just a scam to generate some action here.
1st post, only post. No intro.
What kid asks for advice these days anyway?
Bah!

Mathew Quigley
post #14 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 10:24 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
This whole thread reminds me of the bullshit letters to playboy asking for advice on sex. 14 year old kid want's advice on a streetbike? Everybody jumping in to lend a hand to the "youngster". HA! I think it's just a scam to generate some action here. 1st post, only post. No intro. What kid asks for advice these days anyway? Bah!

post #15 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure there is a 250 on the planet that will haul a guy your size at 90 without feeling like it is going to explode.
I've got a VTR250 that will do 90 without even breaking a sweat with not just me, but also my wife on the back. I know this because we did it leaving Laguna Seca MotoGP one year when I was using it as a display bike. Top speed is around 125mph and even then it is limited by the gearing choice not the horsepower.

post #16 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
This whole thread reminds me of the bullshit letters to playboy asking for advice on sex. 14 year old kid want's advice on a streetbike? Everybody jumping in to lend a hand to the "youngster". HA! I think it's just a scam to generate some action here. 1st post, only post. No intro. What kid asks for advice these days anyway? Bah!
Actually I am 14 😑 I joined because I love bikes😑 I don't have any family members that ride😑 good enough? Sorry to be rude man but is not a scam....

post #17 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I want a sporty street bike because in 1 1/2 years I can use it and until then my grandma lives out in the country and I regularly ride go karts 4 wheelers and dirt bikes on the road. So the law thing is not much of an issue for me. Yes I realize it's illegal but I still can use a bike in a little more than 1 year. Thanks for all the replies guys! It's been helping a lot! I rethought a 250 and am thinking about a Kawasaki ninja 600. Anyone have anything to say about the ninja 600????

post #18 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM
The Cripple

The ninja 250 is one of the best beginner bikes, hands down. I rode 2-up on it all the time and hit 90 with relative ease. Even rode 13 hours 1 way while loaded down with about 150 lbs of camping gear at 90 for stretches at times, had no issues. It's a great bike, will teach you proper riding skill while being very forgiving and they are easy to maintain.

I can't help but laugh at people who say the ninja 250 is too small or can't do 90 all day without issue. Those little things were meant to rev their tits off and love every second of it.

Do I need to go dig up that video of a ninja 250 blowing past liter bikes on the track again?

Edit: Do NOT get a ninja 600! Not beginner friendly at all! There is more to it than just cc size. A 650r would be a much better, viable choice than a 600. However, 250 is still the best in terms of starting out.

post #19 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
The ninja 250 is one of the best beginner bikes, hands down. I rode 2-up on it all the time and hit 90 with relative ease. Even rode 13 hours 1 way while loaded down with about 150 lbs of camping gear at 90 for stretches at times, had no issues. It's a great bike, will teach you proper riding skill while being very forgiving and they are easy to maintain. I can't help but laugh at people who say the ninja 250 is too small or can't do 90 all day without issue. Those little things were meant to rev their tits off and love every second of it. Do I need to go dig up that video of a ninja 250 blowing past liter bikes on the track again? Edit: Do NOT get a ninja 600! Not beginner friendly at all! There is more to it than just cc size. A 650r would be a much better, viable choice than a 600. However, 250 is still the best in terms of starting out.
what's the difference between a 600 and a 600r? What does the r stand for?

post #20 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
what's the difference between a 600 and a 600r? What does the r stand for?
Rad

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #21 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
The ninja 250 is one of the best beginner bikes, hands down. I rode 2-up on it all the time and hit 90 with relative ease. Even rode 13 hours 1 way while loaded down with about 150 lbs of camping gear at 90 for stretches at times, had no issues. It's a great bike, will teach you proper riding skill while being very forgiving and they are easy to maintain.

I can't help but laugh at people who say the ninja 250 is too small or can't do 90 all day without issue. Those little things were meant to rev their tits off and love every second of it.

Do I need to go dig up that video of a ninja 250 blowing past liter bikes on the track again?

Edit: Do NOT get a ninja 600! Not beginner friendly at all! There is more to it than just cc size. A 650r would be a much better, viable choice than a 600. However, 250 is still the best in terms of starting out.
The Ninja 250 is too small! Why would anyone want to ride a bike that they feel like a giant on, hunched over like Egore and looking like a fool doing so? This kid is 6ft 215 at 14 years old. He's not even done growing yet. He is already too big for the bike. What happens when he's 6'3? I still stand by the Sv650 as being a great starter bike and a keeper for years after for the money. I've known people that have successfully achieved this, sold the bike, only to buy another one later. I have also ridden with people who I can't even keep up with while riding with them and I'm on a faster bike (skill obviously). They make great track bikes for track days, great for commuting and whatever else you throw at it.

post #22 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Josh

Garage
Quote:

If the ninja 250 will do the speed, then that would be my suggestion as well. It is a great platform. The one that I rode wouldn't pull more than 85 without holding it wide open for long periods, and IMO that just isn't good for a motor. But maybe that example was a little sickly.

post #23 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
The Ninja 250 is too small! Why would anyone want to ride a bike that they feel like a giant on, hunched over like Egore and looking like a fool doing so? This kid is 6ft 215 at 14 years old. He's not even done growing yet. He is already too big for the bike. What happens when he's 6'3? I still stand by the Sv650 as being a great starter bike and a keeper for years after for the money. I've known people that have successfully achieved this, sold the bike, only to buy another one later. I have also ridden with people who I can't even keep up with while riding with them and I'm on a faster bike (skill obviously). They make great track bikes for track days, great for commuting and whatever else you throw at it.
My experience has been that an inline 4 is a better starter bike than a twin, for one simple reason. The full power of a twin is much more accessible than on an I4. The sv650 makes more torque at 3k rpm than a cbr600 does at 10k. This makes a twin "faster" at lower rpm, which makes it easier to get out of hand.

I learned on an I4, and was scared to spin it above about 8k for the first year simply because I didn't like the way it felt spinning that fast. I was used to v8's and singles. This kept me out of the power band as I learned, but also let me grow with the bike as I got more comfortable with it.

post #24 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So if I get a 600 should I get a straight 600? Or a 600r? And what is the difference?

post #25 of 46 Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post

My experience has been that an inline 4 is a better starter bike than a twin, for one simple reason. The full power of a twin is much more accessible than on an I4. The sv650 makes more torque at 3k rpm than a cbr600 does at 10k. This makes a twin "faster" at lower rpm, which makes it easier to get out of hand.

I learned on an I4, and was scared to spin it above about 8k for the first year simply because I didn't like the way it felt spinning that fast. I was used to v8's and singles. This kept me out of the power band as I learned, but also let me grow with the bike as I got more comfortable with it.
I started out on a 99 GSXR 600 and rode it like an idiot. I was never scared of revving the piss out of it. Which meant I was always going way...faster than what I should have been going. If you have any type of bike with a good amount of low end torque, that "need for speed" will be achieved much sooner, speed wise. Kinda like the 9er. Which is always a good thing , especially for noobs and hooligans like me. I'm sure he's used to power down low from riding dirt bikes also. I would suggest not getting a sport bike at all for an endless list of reasons. As others have suggested a dual sport bike would also be a great option. That way he can ride where he's going and the trails when he gets there.

post #26 of 46 Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So if I get a 600 should I get a straight 600? Or a 600r? And what is the difference?
I'm not really sure what PV is saying here either....

PV? Ninja vs 600R?

Anyway, let's not forget the FZ6, I've seen plenty of them for around $2500

With the "motorcycle" experience that you have at this point, the lil 250's would be a waste of money, as was said before you are already to big for the bike, if you did try a 250 you would outgrow(experience wise) in a month and be looking for something else, but being that you already blew ur wad on the 250 you'd be stuck with it until it was sold which you'd prolly lose money on it and end up with some heap

Just get a tame 600 such as the SV650, FZ6, ER6N, Ninja600/650(just not the R model), Versys or possibly the CB500......which ever you choose just don't ride it like an idiot, don't push until you get some good saddle time under your belt

Example: a few years ago I helped the neighbor kid(15 years old) build a GSXR600 for when he turned 16...I told him a 1000 times to take it easy until he gets the feel for it, don't let "600" fool you!! It's got power!!

Well I hear him take off one day(it was Fing loud) and he came back about 2hrs later pushing the bike and carrying most of it in pieces!! Luckily he had all his gear on and wasn't hurt but he had only made 1 1/2mi down the road before eating it on a humped up sweeper

Be careful!

post #27 of 46 Old 11-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Brain stolen again?

A 14 year old unlicensed driver wants a 600 and is looking for advice on it from others.

Man!

WTF kind of dad is going to entertain his son that way?

Are you going to ride it around on a farm?

Or are you just kicking tires, kid?

Mathew Quigley
post #28 of 46 Old 11-28-2015, 02:26 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
A 14 year old unlicensed driver wants a 600 and is looking for advice on it from others. Man! WTF kind of dad is going to entertain his son that way? Are you going to ride it around on a farm? Or are you just kicking tires, kid?
I agree to a point but it's hard to judge over the Internet, hell! I have a 17 year that I wouldn't let near a moped let alone a sport bike of any kind/size

That fact that this kid came to WT of all places to ask for advice tells me he may be a bit more responsible than most......and let me tell ya there's way worse shit he could be doing at 14yrs old

To newrider: fuel your love for bikes however you see fit and never let it die! Just use your head...

post #29 of 46 Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Brain stolen again?

Well, you know I have a 15 year old, Whip.
My buddy's son came to me wanting advice. He was 17 going on 18.
He was at least of a licensed age. He was wondering about a 600 as well. My advice was to stay with something practical for what he wanted it to do.
Long story short was I was able to convince him to get a Kawasaki KLX 250 R for his first bike. He's been riding it for 1 1/2 years and learning the ropes.
Call me a cautious dad. I've experienced both ends of the spectrum in 47 years of riding and most things in between.
I'm not the kind of guy who starts a kid off with a .44 magnum over a .22.

Mathew Quigley
post #30 of 46 Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well, you know I have a 15 year old, Whip. My buddy's son came to me wanting advice. He was 17 going on 18. He was at least of a licensed age. He was wondering about a 600 as well. My advice was to stay with something practical for what he wanted it to do. Long story short was I was able to convince him to get a Kawasaki KLX 250 R for his first bike. He's been riding it for 1 1/2 years and learning the ropes. Call me a cautious dad. I've experienced both ends of the spectrum in 47 years of riding and most things in between. I'm not the kind of guy who starts a kid off with a .44 magnum over a .22.

47 YEARS!? didn't know they had motorcycles back then....j/k!

Awe...I guess ur right, kinda makes sense with the .44 Mag vs .22 comparison

post #31 of 46 Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
A 14 year old unlicensed driver wants a 600 and is looking for advice on it from others. Man! WTF kind of dad is going to entertain his son that way? Are you going to ride it around on a farm? Or are you just kicking tires, kid?
back roads no gravel.. And my dad does his job just fine I don't do drugs and I'm not in a gang I just have a love for bikes..
jmdavis984 likes this.

post #32 of 46 Old 11-30-2015, 10:00 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
back roads no gravel.. And my dad does his job just fine I don't do drugs and I'm not in a gang I just have a love for bikes..
Amen buddy! do what it takes to keep the love alive!

post #33 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
back roads.................
That's all you had to say. Roads.
Stay away from the 600.

Mathew Quigley
post #34 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Tirone

Dual sport, perfect bike for you at this point. Considering your size a 400 or 650 would be OK if you're responsible.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

post #35 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 01:24 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

KTM 690.......oops guess that's a 600

post #36 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
KTM 690.......oops guess that's a 600
Hey!

Mathew Quigley
post #37 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 02:20 PM
just send it.

Garage
Since you are 14 and have more balls than brains...
Bigdaa likes this.

[This space for rent]
post #38 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontail View Post
Dual sport, perfect bike for you at this point. Considering your size a 400 or 650 would be OK if you're responsible.

Just reread your original post. You want a bike that has to go 90, at 14, on back roads? Sounds very irresponsible.

post #39 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
The ninja 250 is one of the best beginner bikes, hands down. I rode 2-up on it all the time and hit 90 with relative ease. Even rode 13 hours 1 way while loaded down with about 150 lbs of camping gear at 90 for stretches at times, had no issues. It's a great bike, will teach you proper riding skill while being very forgiving and they are easy to maintain. I can't help but laugh at people who say the ninja 250 is too small or can't do 90 all day without issue. Those little things were meant to rev their tits off and love every second of it. Do I need to go dig up that video of a ninja 250 blowing past liter bikes on the track again? Edit: Do NOT get a ninja 600! Not beginner friendly at all! There is more to it than just cc size. A 650r would be a much better, viable choice than a 600. However, 250 is still the best in terms of starting out.
This x1000. I own two Ninja 250s as well as a Honda CBR1100XX and I'm 5'11 and 185lbs. The ninjas are a freaking hoot! They have just enough power to kill you, and if I'm just bumming around town I'll take one or the other over the blackbird.

I have a 1989 and 2003, so they're the square bodies, and they are one of the easiest bikes to work on. I swapped engines, wiring harnesses, ignition, radiator, etc between the bikes over the course of a three day weekend. And between the two Ninja 250s I have less than $1000 in them.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #40 of 46 Old 12-01-2015, 03:34 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I'm not really sure what PV is saying here either....

PV? Ninja vs 600R?
I think he meant Ninja 650R vs ZX-6R. They look kinda similar, but are entirely different animals out on the road!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode