What about no pipes? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

What about no pipes?

I'm not sure if I'm about to start a war with this or no, judging by some of the posts I've seen about different pipes, but heeeeeere goes...

I'm a big fan of the new crotch rockets with thin tail sections and no pipes underneath, instead exiting on the bottom through a much smaller exhaust. Gives them a nice look. Especially the CBR1000RR's. Pretty sexy. So what I'm trying to get at here is, what if you just chopped cans off of the rear completely and put a shorty can on that is somehow, someway hidden or greatly reduced visually? What about straight pipes with no can? Maybe just leave it chopped right behind the engine before it goes up under the seat and splits off. I know it will be loud, but whatever. Any thoughts on how to make this look good or it will adversely affect the engines performance (I honestly don't know enough about the mechanics of cars or bikes to know what will happen)?

Rubber Side Down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Batman

I suspect you'll see fire from burnt valves without the proper back pressure, but what do I know.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Left of Centre

"I suspect you'll see fire from burnt valves..." Depending on where you live, aren't you more likely to see muzzle flashes from your neighbors' weapons as they try and eliminate you and your noise from their lives?

post #4 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Straight pipes with no cans sound like shit. If you want to be obnoxious go buy a Harley...

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Cornicen

There was someone who did a Buell-style low exhaust on a 919/VFR-800 single swinger conversion. Looked good, but it pointed into the rear tire...

post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
"I suspect you'll see fire from burnt valves..." Depending on where you live, aren't you more likely to see muzzle flashes from your neighbors' weapons as they try and eliminate you and your noise from their lives?
Naw. We are a noisy lot here and people expect it.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #7 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
There was someone who did a Buell-style low exhaust on a 919/VFR-800 single swinger conversion. Looked good, but it pointed into the rear tire...

Hahahahahahahaha

General George S. Patton
post #8 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

My 929rr Arata hanger came off on a ride once. I had to ride home with the muff tucked into my jacket. Louder than hell, ran like shat and had to keep the revs up to avoid no back pressure and burnt internals.

BJT, I have personally seen a couple cut downs and they more remind me of the butt plugs hanging out the back of the import boy racers than anything else. I think a pair of slim FMF's may be in order, even cut down. Anything but the big old oval suppository plug effect.

General George S. Patton
post #9 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
You are thinking about this bike:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post138984

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Ginger-prick

When I changed out mufflers on my 9er, I revved it a couple of times without exhaust cans, and it wasn't that loud. Not much louder than after the DanMoto's were put on, actually.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
yzarc mi os

I dopn't know why people bye into the myth of burning valves because you have cut a lot of the exhuast out maybe if you were to have no pipe at all but most vehicles would burn the selves down in that configuration before the valves burnt.

the loss of power from doing this is caused by a decrease in exhaust gas velocity. I ran the 919 open y for a while to see what it would be like to lose the weight of the cans up high and if i wanted to loose the looks of 2 up exhuast. while doing this i had no decernable loss of power. And i had a catless y.

I'd go more in depth but i've been awake going on 30 hours so i really doen't feel like it.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy
I dopn't know why people bye into the myth of burning valves because you have cut a lot of the exhuast out maybe if you were to have no pipe at all...
Isn't that what his thread title says? No pipes? Anyways, I figure you can run a machine and not "notice" any loss of power however you want, doesn't mean your doing anything good to said machine. Like I also said "what do I know"...

And 30 hrs no sleep? Turn off the app and get some rest dude, that shit ain't healthy.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
yzarc mi os

I do it once a week I work nights get off at 730 Friday morning and dont normally go to bed till sometime saturday. Wake up at 3 on thursdays but not yesterday for some reason I fell asleep for an hour or 2 and it was on. Some times I don't get tired for 2 days. It's a night shift thing I think. I'll sleep when I'm dead till then its one foot to the floor and one in the grave.

If i sleep on friday its like havine one day off because I don't wanna be anywere on sunday since igotta head to work that night. It is nappy time though the fjr and me have rise to the challange of a very spirited night ride tonight. No sleep and riding at your limits is a bad combo just ask my crf450r and my left hip.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Batman

I used to be the same way...untill I realised that I like to sleep more than worry about money.

I sold a lot of stuff, paid off debt, and force myself at least 6 hours of sleep a night.

I feel better, I'm less irritable towards family, and gave predictable food schedule.

But, Whatevers clever, we all take checks and balances differently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode