Valve Adjustment on high mileage FZ1? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Kyle

Valve Adjustment on high mileage FZ1?

Just bought an 01 FZ1 and it has been meticulously maintained. The bike has 40k on the clock, but most of that is just commuter miles. Anyway, I was wondering about the valves. I'm not looking to put a lot of money in this bike and I know valve adjustments on these can be expensive. I've heard of people not worrying about valves on their Fz's because of Yamaha's valves rarely get out of spec until around 100k. I've also heard of people leaving them alone until they either chatter or the bike starts to run hot because of them tightening up. What do you guys recommend I should do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 05:37 AM
Tesserarius

post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 06:21 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I think the FZ's adjustment interval is something like 25K miles. Pretty good chance that they don't need adjustment but I would probably check for peace of mind.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Kyle

He said he hasn't checked them and one his friends also has an FZ1 who keeps up with maintenance. He said he has about 70k on his FZ and has never dealt with the valves. Whats in order to check them? Does that require the removal of the cams once the cover is off?

post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Tesserarius

I think it's time to check them.
Cams stay in for the check.
Cams come out for an adjust.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
I think it's time to check them.
Cams stay in for the check.
Cams come out for an adjust.
Yep, I have checked mine 5 times on the 919 and they needed minor adjustment twice. Actually if you have the shims on hand the adjustment is pretty easy. The hardest part is removing all the stuff to be able to get the cover off. Below is a thread I did for one the checks that needed an adjustment.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml?highlight=

post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Yep, I have checked mine 5 times on the 919 and they needed minor adjustment twice. Actually if you have the shims on hand the adjustment is pretty easy. The hardest part is removing all the stuff to be able to get the cover off. Below is a thread I did for one the checks that needed an adjustment.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml?highlight=
Thats an absolutely great sticky! I love it when people post alot of pictures. Thought about a 919 because my buddies dad had a matte black one with red accents forever. By far his favorite bike of all time but hes content with his KLR. Coming from a sled of a bandit 1200, I'm hoping this FZ is as great as everyone talks it up to be!

post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I bought the Super Duke with about 4000 miles on it. I finally had the valves checked April of '15 at 19,000 miles. They were right on. I can't remember exactly what it cost to have done, but I remember thinking that it was cheap. The peace of mind was worth it to me.

I know a guy with a Yamaha WR250R, the Dual sport version. He has over 75,000 miles on that bike, and I think the valves have been checked a few times, but they were always in spec.

I don't know what to tell you.

The Gen 1 FZs were/are great bikes. If you're running an aftermarket can, the carbs should be rejetted. The Suspention could use a little attention, also. SS brake lines are necessary on a bike that old. Pretty much typical jap bike modes that they all need.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-17-2016, 11:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Regardless of the claimed history with an unknown bike I'm swapping coolant, brake fluid, oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, checking valves, inspecting bearings, inspecting tires etc.. Why? Because the one bike I expected to be in prime shape needed just about everything done to it. That reminds me, I still need to service the forks :/

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode