Trying something new BMW R1200RT - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HondaJim

post #1 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Trying something new BMW R1200RT

I decided to downsize my herd and also wanted to try a different type of bike. Sold my 1996 F3. I'll miss it, but it was time to move on. Sold the 919 to someone in the family, who I think is going to end up giving it back. Long story there. I am going to sell my Superhawk. Same as the F3, I'll miss it but it's time to move on. The Hurricane will always stay with me.

So, the change brought some extra garage space, which will open up even more when the Superhawk goes. (The 919 still has a spot if I need it). I have been wanting to try a bike more suited to travel. Understand I have been in 38 states on a motorcycle, all of them not well suited to long distance touring. I want to continue that, along with some 2 up time, on something more comfortable and better suited.

I borrowed a buddy's FJ and spent a few weeks on it. Nice bike, but more along the lines of sport than two up tourer. I had been thinking about a Beemer. A buddy I tour with has a couple of 1200 RS bikes, and having spent some time on those I was interested. The dual sport portion didn't interest me that much.

In the middle of this process, another buddy says he can't stand it any longer and has to purchase a brand new BMW K1600 Exclusive. The only problem is he needs to get rid of his R1200RT. This bike has a lot of nice factory options, nice mods, is well taken care of, and the price is right. I bought it.

This will give me a chance to see how I like this type of machine. He let me have it for the weekend before I bought it. I ran it with no luggage and just me, me and luggage, and me, the lady and luggage, so I know how it performs in all forms.

Separate front and rear Corbin heated seats with 2 removable backrests, front and rear factory heated seats in a box, heated grips, ABS, cruise control, electric windshield, electronic suspension front and rear, Zumo BMW Mottorad GPS, BMW trunk and side cased with removable liners, battery tender for powerlet, additional lighting mods front and rear, highway pegs, BMW removable R1200RT tankbag, two covers and set of brand new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT 2 front and rear installed and ready to go.

This is not the exact bike. It's the same year, color and lights. The seat is different. I'll try to get a pic up of my bike soon. I have always performed all my own work, so I purchased everything to do my own maintenance on this, and I'll be busy this weekend doing a full service. I even got the GS911 bluetooth service tool.

If I like this thing, then an upgrade could be in the future. I want to put a lot of miles on her so I know exactly what I'm looking for. Or who knows, maybe I'll wear this one out. I added Sena bluetooth headsets to both helmets, so let the riding begin. BTW, the tankbag setup on these bikes rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW at rest.jpg (202.1 KB, 38 views)

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 08:14 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

It's a cop bike.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Pretty sure you'll love it, HondaJim. I sat on a few at the BMW dealership where I bought my Tuono. The thought in my head then, was, that when I got to the stage where I had time and money to tour long distance, these were the bikes I was going to get. They had all the bells and whistles.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Very nice!!! Congrats Jim. Wish you many happy and safe miles.

Starbucks® App for iPhone® and Android? | Starbucks Coffee Company

post #5 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Pretty sure you'll love it, HondaJim. I sat on a few at the BMW dealership where I bought my Tuono. The thought in my head then, was, that when I got to the stage where I had time and money to tour long distance, these were the bikes I was going to get. They had all the bells and whistles.
I think I will. I am at that point where I don't need to work all the time and can take some nice trips. Should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
It's a cop bike.
Nope. That's the P model. I may add the oil cooler fan option from a P bike though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Very nice!!! Congrats Jim. Wish you many happy and safe miles.

Starbucks® App for iPhone® and Android? | Starbucks Coffee Company
Now dammit that was uncalled for. I don't do Starbucks.
marylandmike likes this.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Dear sir.... I approve.

A buddy of mine had one in Virginia and he rode it everywhere in all weather conditions.
I cannot imagine anyone who is looking for that style of bike to be disappointed in it.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 19 Old 03-25-2016, 05:33 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

They are pretty cool and I guess when I get to that point I might look at one. For now, though, I think my opinion on the bike from this video still stands http://youtu.be/vYg94QpldAo

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Nice looking bike Jim, congrats!

post #9 of 19 Old 03-26-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
Dear sir.... I approve.

A buddy of mine had one in Virginia and he rode it everywhere in all weather conditions.
I cannot imagine anyone who is looking for that style of bike to be disappointed in it.
OMG, where the hell have you been? Japan?

post #10 of 19 Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Time to get modding.....

post #11 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Ha. I stumbled on that image on day. There's a vid of some guy playing drums while moving too. I think I'll keep those two hobbies separate.

post #12 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 05:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Ha. I stumbled on that image on day. There's a vid of some guy playing drums while moving too. I think I'll keep those two hobbies separate.
Bad design putting the drums on the throttle side anyway!

post #13 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

nice bike Jim. Heated grips and perhaps cruise are on my list for the next bike.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 06:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Jim, PM the cash price of the Super Hawk to me. I have a friend that is looking for something like that. Does it still look better than new?

post #15 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
OMG, where the hell have you been? Japan?
I have been good.
Hiding in the Japanese woods pedaling my bikes to pass the time.
Add to that a kid and yeah.... not much spare time.

And I go for the occasional climb...

The Japanese say "A wise man climbs Fuji once"
I fall into the category of idiot it seems. But we didn't need Fuji-san to prove that.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #16 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
I have been good.
Hiding in the Japanese woods pedaling my bikes to pass the time.
Add to that a kid and yeah.... not much spare time.

And I go for the occasional climb...

The Japanese say "A wise man climbs Fuji once"
I fall into the category of idiot it seems. But we didn't need Fuji-san to prove that.
Well good for you. Congrats on the kiddo. We need to get the old gang together sometime for another bash.

post #17 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Jim, PM the cash price of the Super Hawk to me. I have a friend that is looking for something like that. Does it still look better than new?
PM sent.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks, Jim. That would be so tempting, if I didn't already have 5 motorcycles.

I've ridden with Jim once or twice. His stuff looks better than brand new. I don't know how he does it.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-05-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Small update. F3 = sold. Superhawk = sold. That leaves me the BMW, Hurricane (which comes out twice a year), and the 919 which I got back (family member bought it, then lost job next day). I think I'll just stay right there with bikes for a while. I'm awaiting the Africa Twin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode