The end of the dream? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The end of the dream?

So the missus took the MSF class and went on a few rides with me. After watching her ride, I can see some honest to goodness natural talent. She has a great feel for the bike and I know she's got the skill set for it.

She's about ready to hang up her helmet, though...she gets anxiety before rides and freaks out when it comes to making turns at intersections and all it in-tales. She can see the appeal of riding, mind you, but she's not sure it's worth it to her.

Soooo, she's thinking maybe if some of the stress were reduced by means of an automatic where it's a simple brake/gas situation, she might like it more and eventually graduate up to shifting again. Before we sell her current bike (the mighty Zook Savage) and purchase a scooter, I'm thinking she should get some seat time to see if it makes a difference to her. How does one go about that? Anyone have experience with trading 'down' to automatics? I had forgotten that I learned to ride on a Honda Passport with a 2 speed auto...probably was a good way to learn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

post #3 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

if i may offer a suggestion...

let her ride without you anywhere in a 10 mile circle... get her to take a 20 minute ride... by herself.. you stay at home... and i guarantee she will have a different opinion when she gets home....

post #4 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Imaginifer

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_V7_DsFz-zRw/SI...f8/ca105t1.jpg

This is what I learned on...an old auto!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #5 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Hope you have a good line on shipping.

edit: oops.... so, it's not in South America.

post #6 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Hope you have a good line on shipping.

edit: oops.... so, it's not in South America.
LOL! Brazil, Indiana. We also have Peru and Lebanon, take a tour around the world and never leave your state!

post #7 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_V7_DsFz-zRw/SI...f8/ca105t1.jpg

This is what I learned on...an old auto!
Yep, I learned on the Yamaha version of that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha50Moped.jpg (36.0 KB, 5 views)

post #8 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post

let her ride without you anywhere in a 10 mile circle... get her to take a 20 minute ride... by herself.. you stay at home... and i guarantee she will have a different opinion when she gets home....
i think thats a good idea before totally dumping a bike cause scooters are lame.

but honestly, if she gets anxiety like that (and i know what you mean cause my girlfriend gets it over everything) she probably wont get over it even if its on an automatic. either way, good luck with whatever you guys choose

post #9 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:

+1

post #10 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
That's a pretty cool bike - much better looking than a scooter.

Quote:

I think you're touching on a truth here...she did make a solo journey when she first started out and was pretty exhilirated. I might just suggest that. So it's not all that uncommon to learn on an auto, eh?

Edit: Real time response to suggestion

"WHAT???? I've ridden by myself ONCE and it was TERRIFYING"

Ah, we'll figure it out.

I joke with her it's either ride you own bike or stare at the back of my helmet!

post #11 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Quote:

That's so brilliant I should have thought of it, but I didn't...

If that doesn't work then might just wanna give up the whole idea. In order to be safe and become more proficient at riding you have to be confident in your ability. A little anxiety before a ride especially amongst peers is actually normal for most people. If it is affecting her actions or judgment then it could easily end up bad for not just her, but others as well.

post #12 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Interceptor!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

FJR automatic, the new 2010 VFR automatic...

Up for a ride?

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill
post #13 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Riding with out you good.
Her riding with several other ladies Great.
Let her have a girls day out, and try to point away from the city.
Once she gets some miles under her belt she will feel better.
I don't know if she has good leather pants and coat but knowing IF she would go down she is well protected will also not hurt her frame of mind.

Just a thought.

post #14 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1050 View Post
Riding with out you good.
Her riding with several other ladies Great.
Let her have a girls day out, and try to point away from the city.
Once she gets some miles under her belt she will feel better.
I don't know if she has good leather pants and coat but knowing IF she would go down she is well protected will also not hurt her frame of mind.

Just a thought.
Good advice Mark. Gin has been riding with her friend Di who just got her first bike. They've really enjoyed riding together, I think maybe it's easier to learn and gain experience riding with another woman, less pressure perhaps.

post #15 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Not a bad idea. My sister-in-law got her license with the missus...but to be honest, she doesn't look like she's got knack for it. Sigh. I mentioned Hope's wonder as a possible choice - I think she may get part of the fix from riding from her convertible. I'll circle back and let the world know.

Don't be too surprised to see a Baby Blue '06 Suzuki S40 up for grabs in the near future - I'll take offers in the order received, just to be fair, but please realize it will take a while to process the volume.

post #16 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Put bike and her into truck drive 100 miles away from home.

Put bike on ground. Toss her helmet jacket gloves. Kiss her tell her how much you love her and drive off.

First one home gets to make the other one slave for a week.

Lotsa fun and let her win.

post #17 of 39 Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

barton, that's so awesome...

I have a GF who's learning, too. She's made great strides, and is now having fun riding on her own...but on her own timeline. Her advice is to support her in her learning curve, whatever that may be.

Sometimes, for women especially, taking skills classes sort of gives us permission to become proficient and gain confidence, too. And a big +3 on riding with others or alone--it's a lot of pressure to ride with your lover/spouse at first.

post #18 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
--it's a lot of pressure to ride with your lover/spouse at first.
And never, ever ride with both

post #19 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
And never, ever ride with both
So true, so true...

post #20 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
.....cause scooters are lame......

Scooter rock.

There is no other way that my family could of been riding together for the past few years.

My kids started riding on the streets with us years ago, without scooters, they never would of been able too.

I do not think my youngest was even 10 when he started riding on the streets with us, but, whatever, I catch crap for that, I catch crap for anything and everything, there is always a jerk or three out there waiting to rain on the parade......

Anyway -

And the first time I was able to tweek a Met to hit 45, well, hitting 45 on the Met was as much fun as hitting a buck fifty on the 919.

Just a different kind of fun.

Scooters rock, they are a blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqlqK-9r1xA

Yes, scooters are fun - whatever happens, try to not forget what fun really is.

This was really really fun -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQfSmicE-gU

Not even related to this thread, but whatever......

Fun, nothing fun is lame IMO.

But, that is just me

post #21 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 AM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
LOL! Brazil, Indiana. We also have Peru and Lebanon, take a tour around the world and never leave your state!
You forgot Mexico, we have mexico too east of 31. Get her a Ridley..they are cooool!

Ridley : America's Automatic Motorcycle : Home

If you have a Ten Dollar Head, get a $10.00 Helmet.
post #22 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 02:01 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
it's a lot of pressure to ride with your lover/spouse at first.
At first hell... I've constantly got to be on my toes or my wife will go all Aaron Yates on me squeezing right up in the inside and run me wide without so much as a wave.

post #23 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
At first hell... I've constantly got to be on my toes or my wife will go all Aaron Yates on me squeezing right up in the inside and run me wide without so much as a wave.
A good toe hold on the sheets will keep her from runnin' ya wide

post #24 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher
Soooo, she's thinking maybe if some of the stress were reduced by means of an automatic where it's a simple brake/gas situation, she might like it more and eventually graduate up to shifting again. Before we sell her current bike (the mighty Zook Savage) and purchase a scooter, I'm thinking she should get some seat time to see if it makes a difference to her. How does one go about that? Anyone have experience with trading 'down' to automatics?
I recently bought a Honda SH150i scooter and it is so much fun I gave my 919 away(to a family member). Seriously it's a blast, there is nothing wrong with automatics. and many of them are capable of high speeds so she could still ride with you no problem.

Honda, Yamaha, Vespa, Piaggio, Suzuki, Aprilia and others all make an assortment of scooters that come in different sizes (from 49cc to 650cc) for different purposes and if she is interested in any there is probably a dealer who would let her test ride one.

post #25 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 03:56 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Suede-
I'm not sure what to tell you here. If she doesn't want to make that step to get more comfortable with her own riding abilities, it's not worth pushing it. She needs to be the one to make the call. Would it be worth it to take the MSF class again? Are there some quiet neighborhoods around where she can practice without much traffic?

Best of luck to you both. It sounds like you are putting no pressure on her, which is the best thing that you can do. In the end, it doesn't really matter if she is on her own bike or on the back of yours, whatever she chooses is the right choice.
post #26 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Mine wants to learn too but she is wicked scared in the dirt so far so I'm not sure it's gonna be for her. I think I'm gonna go the 4 wheeler route with the wifey for a bit so she can still have some fun riding a bike by her self.

We will see.

Good luck to you regardless and like Kristen said, don't push her. She's got to want to do it and enjoy it.

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #27 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 06:08 PM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The Spyder may be a good alturnative. I road two wheels before I got the spyder, I liked the look and feel of it.

For someone new to riding could have great advantage that she could still go with you. Not have to worry about tipping the bike, they are made with an Automatic if you want one. And she can keep up with you.

Disadvantage could be that she gets used to three and never gets over the possiblity of going over on two, when she'd thinking about going back.

I love it, I think it is fun, I can get up and go. I would recomend it for your case. However not ment for everyone. Those on two for a long time, it does take some getting used to.

Hope
post #28 of 39 Old 09-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
So the missus took the MSF class and went on a few rides with me. After watching her ride, I can see some honest to goodness natural talent. She has a great feel for the bike and I know she's got the skill set for it.

She's about ready to hang up her helmet, though...she gets anxiety before rides and freaks out when it comes to making turns at intersections and all it in-tales. She can see the appeal of riding, mind you, but she's not sure it's worth it to her.

Soooo, she's thinking maybe if some of the stress were reduced by means of an automatic where it's a simple brake/gas situation, she might like it more and eventually graduate up to shifting again. Before we sell her current bike (the mighty Zook Savage) and purchase a scooter, I'm thinking she should get some seat time to see if it makes a difference to her. How does one go about that? Anyone have experience with trading 'down' to automatics? I had forgotten that I learned to ride on a Honda Passport with a 2 speed auto...probably was a good way to learn.
My wife went through similar issues at times. We did a lot of short rides in which she followed me and slowly built up her confidence. Also, we picked times of day. days of the week, in which there would be less traffic. Also, the local MSF folks had a follow-up class that she took to increase her confidence. Then, once her confidence was a little greater, we trailered the bikes to a remote area in which she would be able to ride hours without much traffic. Over time, she has built her confidence slowly and now has done two track/school days (she was terrified before the first session and babbling like a little kid with the coolest present ever after coming in after that session). By the way, I have ridden since I was six-years-old and I sometimes get anxious before or during a normal ride and almost always before the first session of a trackday.

post #29 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
i think thats a good idea before totally dumping a bike cause scooters are lame.

but honestly, if she gets anxiety like that (and i know what you mean cause my girlfriend gets it over everything) she probably wont get over it even if its on an automatic. either way, good luck with whatever you guys choose
Quote:

Kinda agree with this, but Aprilia's seems to be making a automatic or 2 lately:

Aprilia

post #30 of 39 Old 09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

If there is too much doubt...buy a convertible cage!
Two-wheeling isn't for most so don't force it.
Scooters are much more dangerous than a Kawi-250R.

post #31 of 39 Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
If there is too much doubt...buy a convertible cage!
I think the arrival of the convertible MINI did spell doom for her motorcycle days. It's over...bike will be listed soon. My next best hope is to find a bike that accomodates 2-up VERY well, i.e. lets her see the world, too.

post #32 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I think the arrival of the convertible MINI did spell doom for her motorcycle days. It's over...bike will be listed soon. My next best hope is to find a bike that accomodates 2-up VERY well, i.e. lets her see the world, too.
fjr

post #33 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Either that of the Connie Silver lining?

Was going to ride that Baby Blue Bomb into work today...didn't start! Just replaced the battery, too...maybe a month ago. Annoying.

post #34 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
vfr

post #35 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

I'll be selling my '98 VFR soon, if you want a good 2-upper...

post #36 of 39 Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Either that of the Connie Silver lining?

Was going to ride that Baby Blue Bomb into work today...didn't start! Just replaced the battery, too...maybe a month ago. Annoying.
Sorry to hear! I have also wondered what would make an excellent 2 up bike. (just theoretically at this stage)
We easily cover 500km's a day, which is a lot of saddle time due to NZ roads.
Overtaking space can be limited, so power is definately a must. I have often wondered about the suitability of a Hayabusa, ZX14, B-king or even a http://www.hondacb1300.net/ to fit the bill.
Do you have the CB1300 in the US?

post #37 of 39 Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Sorry to hear! I have also wondered what would make an excellent 2 up bike. (just theoretically at this stage)
We easily cover 500km's a day, which is a lot of saddle time due to NZ roads.
Overtaking space can be limited, so power is definately a must. I have often wondered about the suitability of a Hayabusa, ZX14, B-king or even a Honda CB1300 | Honda CB1300S | Honda CB1300SA | Honda Forum to fit the bill.
Do you have the CB1300 in the US?
Trust me, with close to 150hp the FJR has plenty of power for passing, it's also the lightest and most sporting of the sport tourers.

post #38 of 39 Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Tirone

She will miss riding her own bike when you start to ride 2-up. Give her time! She will come around. Riding is way more freedom than a convertible! Meet her some where for ice cream. Leave from different locations and ride there. Eat ice cream and ride home together. Give her nothing but praise. Do not critisize her at all. She just took the class and probably has the better attention to everything around her than you!

post #39 of 39 Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

When I was out looking for a replacement for my totaled 919, the dealer threw me a set of keys to an Aprilia 850 Mana and it was kinda cool. Yeah, I'd have to say that anyone who was shakey about the shifting thing would appreciate the light weight automatic(CVT) Mana. Plus it's got that Italian coolness to it.
But get her a scooter and let it build up her confidence, she'll let you know when she's ready to move on up OR NOT before you spend good money on an automatic.
Some folks love their scooters, with Aprilia building a 50cc bike that will do 50 off the showroom floor I know I find that interesting. I have heard tell of a few mods that'll make the SR50 run in the 80 mph range.
It's all good

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode