Sport Touring Options.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Sport Touring Options....

I personally split sport tourers into 2 classes.

Ones like the VFR - more sport oriented.

Ones like the FJR - more touring oriented.

Both work very well, but it depends on your desire.

So in order to help sort out ST madness...

Please post up a picture or two of a ST machine and your accounts/experiences.

I am personally looking forward to hearing about some machines I have maybe never thought about.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I will start!

2000 Triumph Trophy.
This is just a random picture, but my father has an identicle one.
This bike falls into the Touring part of sport touring. It is just the rider ergos that keep it from being a true touring bike.

Pros -
comfy bike and room for the passenger.
tons of power from the i4 1200cc engine.
looks nice and relatively cheap to find them used.

Cons -
ergos are a little more sporty than I want.
belly pan rubs when owners son takes it out and hot dogs.

Spoiler:
post #3 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Ok, from my recent test ride of a 2003 Honda ST1300...please forgive the plagerism of my previous post.

Riding impressions...

Very comfortable seat and good seating position.

Brakes were ok, front grabbed hard, even without ABS.

V-4 engine sure sounds different than an inline 4, kind of whistles, then growls a bit under acceleration. Decent power, not great, wish it had more.

Nice instruments, very complete.

Windscreen hit me right in the middle of my line of vision on upper setting, could look over it on lower setting.

Saddlebags were great, very nice design, easily removeable.

Handled well in my short ride, once underway it didn't feel heavy at all.

All in all I would say it was a nice motorcycle but not really sporty enough for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03ST1300.jpg (120.0 KB, 13 views)

post #4 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

After some soul searching I'm starting to wonder if this my next sports touring bike.

post #5 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I had a chance to test ride one of these a few years back and was quite impressed.

I would actually it over a Gold Wing if I were in the market for a pure touring bike to eat highway mileage fast and comfy.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #6 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I would actually it over a Gold Wing if I were in the market for a pure touring bike to eat highway mileage fast and comfy.
+1 and it's cheaper and lighter!!

post #7 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I had a chance to test ride one of these a few years back and was quite impressed. I would actually it over a Gold Wing if I were in the market for a pure touring bike to eat highway mileage fast and comfy.

...comparing whales. I talked with guy that owned the bmw boat and hated its lumbering ride so much he traded it at a huge loss towards a K1200GT, and is now VERY happy both 2up and solo.

post #8 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
...comparing whales. I talked with guy that owned one and hated its lumbering ride so much he dumped it the next year at a huge loss for a K1200GT, and is now very happy.

What if you already have a Speed Triple and CL360 in your garage and you are looking for something to tour 2up in comfort. Its hard to step up to a sports touring ride because it will never compare to the thrill of the speed triple. The CL360 geared up for the back roads. therefore seems like I should be getting the far extremes for bikes.

I've been thinking about it for months now.... Sports touring or touring...
The touring bike might be a flat out whale too boring or the sports touring might not be comfortable enough.

Advise help appreciated...

post #9 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
What if you already have a Speed Triple and CL360 in your garage and you are looking for something to tour 2up in comfort. Its hard to step up to a sports touring ride because it will never compare to the thrill of the speed triple. The CL360 geared up for the back roads. therefore seems like I should be getting the far extremes for bikes.

I've been thinking about it for months now.... Sports touring or touring...
The touring bike might be a flat out whale too boring or the sports touring might not be comfortable enough.

Advise help appreciated...
Since much of my riding is 2up, I fully appreciate your dilema. Raybobb has a K1200GT and loves it! I've dodged too many panic stops on the medium weight 9er where if we were riding a whale F=ma would have won. If you want a cozy ride with tons of storage...convertible cars are fun.

post #10 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I've put a few miles on a FJR1300. Fine bike for sport touring. Lighter than the ST and more ponies. Handled itself really well and the finish was better than I expected from Yamaha.

I've put a lot of miles on a R1200GS. Another nice bike that sport tours well.
Feels like a big dirtbike.

I would like to try a Norge out for awhile.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Oh the Norge!

Such a disappointment for me.

Spoiler:
post #12 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

I was going to bring up the GS, but it feels like I preach it constantly. I love that bike.

post #13 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I have ridden the 1800 Goldwing quite a bit and it actually handles really well for a whale. I have been thinking quite a bit about getting one for my second bike. I know that the wife is comfy riding on it.

post #14 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I've put a lot of miles on a R1200GS. Another nice bike that sport tours well.
Feels like a big dirtbike.
How capable is this particular model in the Adventure Sport category? The model in this pic looks more street oriented. Would I have to get (dreaming, of course) the Adventure version to do more off road?

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #15 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Of course Kevin's answer will be more directed at the model specifies, but let me tell you, the tall and heavy adventure tourer bikes are a handful off road. One wrong step and the 500+ lbs start coming down.

Spoiler:
post #16 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Oh the Norge!

Such a disappointment for me.

What didnt you like about it ? Or, what did you like about it ?

Me, myself - If I were in the market for a St bike, the Norge would be right on the top of my list - Comfy, good wind protection and you wont be seeing yourself at every over view on the parkway -
But, then again ,there is the Buell Ulysis ---

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #17 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I went to the MG test ride be hosted by some guy..... lol

Anyhow, I was expecting smooth and sporty.
I got unstable and "blah"...

If any revs slipped in while shifting, the bike "felt" as is it was twisting. Not kicking over to one side due to the engine, but actually twisting. It almost felt as is the swing arm needs an additional brace. Now I was mid pack in the ride, so there was absolutely no hotdogging going on, this was just at a less than spirited pace.

Looks wise, I love it!
I read up about it prior to riding it and every write up was good.
Simpson wanted to go just to check this bike out, but couldn't so i did.

When I put my leg over it, everything was perfect for me to like it.
When I fired it up everything was perfect for me to ride it.
When we pulled out of the parking lot, it was a little akward, but I do not buy bike to ride in a parking lot, so I paid it little mind.
When we got out on the road, the "twist" became apperant. This is unacceptable of any bike.

I have ridden the 2300cc Rocket and I can feel the bike torque over (gently) to one side if revved at a light. However once the bike starts to move, it is solid. -- This is far more rotating mass and the bike feels solid, so I am not thinking it is the engine on the Norge.

Somewhere in the linkage/swingarm, something is amiss.

Spoiler:
post #18 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

^ Hmm - Thats strange , wonder if you got on a bad one ? Bikes are like anything though - dont buy the first year, let some other poor shmuck deal with the teething issues and get one a year or two later ! Ive heard tell that they have fixed the oil/dip stick issue and what not now.I stil lthing Id rather have a Norge over one of the BWM RTs -

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #19 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
How capable is this particular model in the Adventure Sport category? The model in this pic looks more street oriented. Would I have to get (dreaming, of course) the Adventure version to do more off road?
Quote:
Of course Kevin's answer will be more directed at the model specifies, but let me tell you, the tall and heavy adventure tourer bikes are a handful off road. One wrong step and the 500+ lbs start coming down.
It went through mud, through brush and over small logs, up and down dirty muddy inclines, over gravel and through tall grass on stock tires and never came close to falling over.
It went through 3" deep sugar sand and fell right over on my leg.

So what does that tell us? The GS is capable of doing lots of things and going many many offroad places and with aggressive knobbies it can probably go further & deeper than I ever took it. As long as the rider is on his game most everything will go fine, one lapse in concentration and you're waiting for your buddy to lift it off you.

For me personally a 100hp 600lb dirtbike is not going to go the places I want to go. But it will take you across country in relative comfort and if you want to do some light-medium offroad exploring it's definitely up to the challenge if you bring the skill.

post #20 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
No, there are other options to the models that are more off road orinented than this one and still not the Adventure version. (i thought) Their website does not reflect it and maybe I'm seeing old stock on the floor like 07's there are several trades at the local store right now, mostly fully decked out with every option known to man!

post #21 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

So I email a friend with a ST for advise and this is what he writes:

" Goldwings are slow in the corners but VERY comfortable.
ST is comfortable enough to tour on with a Custom Seat and handles better in my opinion.
No Radio or cup holders on the ST though ???
Really it depends on what you want.
Someday I may own a goldwing... But not for a few decades I hope.

You can buy my ST1100 for 7500 if you want. I am Buying a Bandit 1250 and selling the ST.
You might be able to find a better deal then that and not have to travel real far to get it. Look around or just spend the bucks for the newer better ST1300.
"

Hey, isn't this the path our member Ken followed?

What worries me is the fact he is ready to drop the ST in a moments notice??? No warm fuzzies there.

What about the R 1200 RT for 16-17K?

post #22 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
It went through mud, through brush and over small logs, up and down dirty muddy inclines, over gravel and through tall grass on stock tires and never came close to falling over.
It went through 3" deep sugar sand and fell right over on my leg.

So what does that tell us? The GS is capable of doing lots of things and going many many offroad places and with aggressive knobbies it can probably go further & deeper than I ever took it. As long as the rider is on his game most everything will go fine, one lapse in concentration and you're waiting for your buddy to lift it off you.

For me personally a 100hp 600lb dirtbike is not going to go the places I want to go. But it will take you across country in relative comfort and if you want to do some light-medium offroad exploring it's definitely up to the challenge if you bring the skill.
Great exposition. Thanks! That bike (in any state of dress) would not be kind to me in the dirt since my dirt skills are pre-pubescent at best. That is allot of weight to jockey around in the woods, where 100hp seems to me to be dramatic overkill. Not that I could buy one now, but your insight certainly points me in a better (for me) direction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
No, there are other options to the models that are more off road orinented than this one and still not the Adventure version. (i thought) Their website does not reflect it and maybe I'm seeing old stock on the floor like 07's there are several trades at the local store right now, mostly fully decked out with every option known to man!
Which leads me to like your bike even more, AJ. I need to ride to a local Beemer shop and scope it out. There's one in GSO--used to be one 2 miles from my house, but they left and took the Ducs with them. It's a flight of fancy, though, for me to even consider a Beemer at this point. I believe a DR or KLR is right up my alley. Anybody interested in a 9er? I don't think I can wait til bonus time in October to get back in the woods...

Sorry for jacking your thread, Mike. Should have asked this in another one...

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #23 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So I email a friend with a ST for advise and this is what he writes:

" Goldwings are slow in the corners but VERY comfortable.
ST is comfortable enough to tour on with a Custom Seat and handles better in my opinion.
No Radio or cup holders on the ST though ???
Really it depends on what you want.
Someday I may own a goldwing... But not for a few decades I hope.

You can buy my ST1100 for 7500 if you want. I am Buying a Bandit 1250 and selling the ST.
You might be able to find a better deal then that and not have to travel real far to get it. Look around or just spend the bucks for the newer better ST1300.
"

Hey, isn't this the path our member Ken followed?

What worries me is the fact he is ready to drop the ST in a moments notice??? No warm fuzzies there.

I too find that very telling that your friend (following Ken) is dumping the piggy ST for a smaller bike! For that much money don't settle for a 50yr old design, when for a couple more bucks enjoy recent advancements (liquid cooled, wet clutch...) of K1200RT.

post #24 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
My buddy has the one with spoke wheels, which is a must to do offroad stuff. I haven't been on the Adventure version. I can tell you I've seen him put the thing places offroad I didn't think it would go. One nice bike.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #25 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I believe a DR or KLR is right up my alley.
I do enjoy my KLR, it's not as refined as a BMW but I don't cry every time it hits the ground either. Aside from it's lower power which is only evident on the freeway at 75+mph, for the $$ I think it's excellent for its mission.

post #26 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I am personally looking forward to hearing about some machines I have maybe never thought about.
What about this handsome Sport touring ride?

post #27 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
I hear their vanilla

jk

I bet that thing wheelies like crazy when you put some weight in that rear box ??

post #28 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Quote:
I hear their vanilla

jk

I bet that thing wheelies like crazy when you put some weight in that rear box ??

Spoiler:
post #29 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:

I had actually forgot that i rode one of these along time ago before they had progressed past 1100cc it was a 97 but had similar suspension. I got to say it was the hardest bike to get used to but man you could put it in some curves harder than most people felt comfy because of the awkward suspension set up. Lot of magazine articles when compared to other similar machines would score it low cause the para and tele lever suspension was hard to get used to, all i remember was once accustom to it I loved it and so did the misses! Plenty of power, rode softer than any bike i'd ever riden but felt stuck in the corner like no other as well. Oh and he upgraded to ohlins on it as well. I had a chance to buy once but the funds were not available.... Wished i had. I'd suggest many long rides on this bike to get the feel for it.

post #30 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
czesc

anything intended to go off road is not sport touring me thinks...

also goldwings are pure tourers and not part of the sport touring scene

i've heard good things about teh ducati bikes - multistrada and st3 or something like that... can anyone confirm/deny?

also from the other thread, the sprint looks awesome

Spoiler:

2004 Yamaha FJR1300
-Mostly stock

2004 Honda 919 Silver - sold
-Pirelli Diablo Strada
-Honda Windscreen
-AFAM 17t front sprocket
-Painted rear hugger
-Garmin Zumo
-HVMP bar end weights (13.5oz)
-Spencer's Seat Mod
-Aftermarket Mirrors with LED indicators built in
-PAIR removed
-Flapper mod
-Stomp tank grip

2007 Honda 919 Red
-Dunlop Roadsmart Tire
-AFAM 17t front sprocket
post #31 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

i think someones siginature says there are more unpaved sections of the world how do you suppose you plan to be touring it if not off road??

Just bustin your ballz

post #32 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Dunno what your budget is but have you thought about some of the older bikes? Luggage can still be had and since I prefer an ST with a sportier slant, I thought I'd bring up some old school stuff like CBR1000's, Blackbirds, ZX-11's.......

My 1990 CBR1000F had the best factory seat I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. She was comfy. She was fast. I could pound out a several hundred mile day, if need be.

Yes, I'm stuck in the past. Yet some of those 90's bikes are fantastic. And at least I didn't bring up my old FJ.......

post #33 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
czesc

Quote:
how do you suppose you plan to be touring it if not off road??
i like paved roads a lot
i've never had a chance to try dirt roads... maybe someday

Spoiler:

2004 Yamaha FJR1300
-Mostly stock

-Pirelli Diablo Strada
-Honda Windscreen
-AFAM 17t front sprocket
-Painted rear hugger
-Garmin Zumo
-Spencer's Seat Mod
-PAIR removed
-Flapper mod
-Stomp tank grip

2007 Honda 919 Red
-Dunlop Roadsmart Tire
-AFAM 17t front sprocket
post #34 of 35 Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

K1200RS

So anyone have experience with a 2000 BMW K1200RS? One popped up locally on craigslist, 25k miles, only $6300. I've sent the guy an email, hope to go check it out tomorrow. Have read great things about that bike, extremely fast and powerful, the RS is more sporting than the GT, bulletproof engine and typical BMW overengineering throughout. Just curious if anybody has first hand experience?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/756833527.html

post #35 of 35 Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
czesc

@ sb - so what happened?

Spoiler:

2004 Yamaha FJR1300
-Mostly stock

-Pirelli Diablo Strada
-Honda Windscreen
-AFAM 17t front sprocket
-Painted rear hugger
-Garmin Zumo
-Spencer's Seat Mod
-PAIR removed
-Flapper mod
-Stomp tank grip

2007 Honda 919 Red
-Dunlop Roadsmart Tire
-AFAM 17t front sprocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode