I have looked at everything lately. Just wondering what would be 'the bike' for me if I were going to buy and 08.
So... I of course look at Triumph (since I have had incredible luck with mine) and then the japanese imports.
1) sportbikes... I have owned 5, I will soon have more miles on my Tiger than the five combined - so rule it out. Won't ride it much once the novelty wears off
2) Cruisers... Well, some appeal to me, but in the end, I just do not like the ergos of forward controls and standards don't do anything much for me.
3) Naked... totally naked, the S3 is my favorite, but it falls in the sportbike category to me.
4) Sport Tourer... none of them have the right mix for me. Lots are close, but too much sport or Tourer and not enough of the other. So I rule them out.
5) Super Moto... Fun to commute on, but other than that, I see it collecting dust
6) So I am back to Adventure tourers... or Hybrids of you will. They do appeal to me. More so than the 1/2 nakeds. THe long travel suspension makes for an incredible highway ride. Everything smooths out - and fast!
So- being reasonable with a budget, lets say 12K for a bike. I like the new Tiger, but I rank it with the Bandit and FZ1. Where is my long travel suspension? Tiger, out of the running.
Aprilia and BMW both have large Adventure tourers, but too much $$$ IMO and too heavy (my only complaint about the tiger).
1) So there is the small BMW. Hmmm... got my attention. I think I like it.
2) Then there is a Kawasaki Versys... Very interesting. Price is right. Long traven suspension, only down sides... Looks and availablility of baggage.
(the KLR used to be at the top of my list, but after my TIger mishap in the dirt, I am not seeing me off road with anything other than a true dirtbike.)
Anyhow, no real point. Just looking around and came up witht he BMW and Kawi being my favorites right now.
Oddly... in 03 I would have sworn I would never own either brand.