Shopping Assistance Woes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Shopping Assistance Woes

Okay...I know some of you know my father-in-law is trying to get me to help him find a motorcycle. He hasn't had one in almost 30 years and wants a cruiser. I'm not totally sold on helping him get one. I actually have several reservations here...
1) he's not the most coordinated person I know
2) he only had 1 motorcycle and had it for like 3 weeks before his mom and wife talked him into getting rid of it.
3) He wants to go riding with us after he gets on (this is more of a gripe than anything)
4) If/when he hurts himself badly on it, I'm sure I'll be taking part of the fall for helping him and will be pressured to get rid of my 919

So...he asked me (and his other son-in-law motorcyclist, Drew) to go look at bikes Saturday. I know absolutely nothing mechanically about v-twins other than they seem to take a while to warm up. Why? I don't know. Basically, all we told him were, we like the way that one looks, sit on it and see if you like the way it sits. Then, I'd use my phone to look up the values and make a judgment call on a good deal or not. I offered to do test rides since he has no gear or even a permit.

Anyway...after looking ALL DAY last weekend. He found two that he liked. One was a 1999 Virago 535 for $2299 and the other was a 2005 V-Star 650 Custom for $3999. Both had right at 8000 miles on them and both were extremely clean. I recommended the V-Star because I liked the way it looked better, it say more comfortably, it had a larger front end that didn't feel quite as squishy, and figured the technology had to improve over 6 years.

Although I recommended it, neither Drew or I pushed. He didn't get anything that day, but I get the feeling his is just bored and wants something. Maybe a motorcycle, maybe a sports car. Midlife crisis possibly? The comment he made was something to the tune of '$4000 is a lot to spend on something I won't ride very much.' I told him if he wasn't going to ride a bike, he needed to find another toy (hoping he would forget about the motorcycle thing).

Anyway, just thought I'd vent here and at least educate myself enough to give him decent advice.

Any advice on what to recommend to him if he DOES decide to get one? Is the V-Star 650 a good bike for someone to start off on?

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Sheepdog

All I can offer is the advice I tell all older guys who ask me for help with a bike: If you didn't learn to ride before you turned 30, do yourself a favor and don't start now. Older guys don't learn as fast as younger ones, and that longer learning curve will probably get you killed. (It doesn't work to prevent them from doing it, but if you tell them this in front of plenty of witnesses, it at least gets you somewhat off the hook when he hurts/kills himself.)

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Seems like OFG gives good advice.

Here's another angle. Tell him you wont help him until he takes a training course first. Then offer him all the assistance he wants in picking a ride.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
All I can offer is the advice I tell all older guys who ask me for help with a bike: If you didn't learn to ride before you turned 30, do yourself a favor and don't start now. Older guys don't learn as fast as younger ones, and that longer learning curve will probably get you killed. (It doesn't work to prevent them from doing it, but if you tell them this in front of plenty of witnesses, it at least gets you somewhat off the hook when he hurts/kills himself.)
Wow..... I usually dont get insulted on the internet.... and I wont take it totally personal..... but older = 30's?????

I took my MSF at 39.... no issues, I ride my pace.

You should have him take the MSF course, then decide what bike to get.

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

^^^ Good advise

post #6 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

you could always just trip him and make him break his hip or something.....

i'm just saying......

post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Keep your marriage and discourage him. Cruisers are dangerous.
Have him get a MLC sports car.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Legalize it please?

When we were 18 my buddy bought his first bike. 1986? susuki tempter 650. For what it was it was sweet! The bike sat in a garage for 12 years it only had 600 miles on it all he had to do was tires, lube everything, oil, and de funk the carbs. It took us a week end and the bike was showroom. Then his dad came back from vacation, hasn't been on a bike
"since i was your age"
got on it and ran this poor motorcycle up a tree. Thats right folks, 5000 on the tack, dump the clutch, wheelied it up a tree...
talk him into a nice older sports car... or WildWest's avatar

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Any advice on what to recommend to him if he DOES decide to get one? Is the V-Star 650 a good bike for someone to start off on?
A friend of mine bought one of these as his first bike a couple of years ago.
I actually rode it home from the dealership for him as he didn't have his motorcycle endorsement yet at the time.

The only thing I have to offer is that it seems to me like this bike designed for the sole purpose of making the dealership a profit on service plans. He had to take it in for it's first check-up at like 300 miles (or something like that) to change the oil & whatever else they say they're going to check out. I told him, "dude, changing the oil is not that big of a deal, do it yourself". But actually, on his bike it WAS a big deal. Seemed like a person had to tear the whole damned thing apart to get to the oil filter. For a first time rider, I'm guessing most people wouldn't be too mechanically inclined or possibly have the time to tear into such a difficult task - thus, paying the service department loads of cash to do it for them to save the headache. I consider myself fairly able to tear into something & put it back together, but even I wouldn't want to touch that one.

Just my

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode