seat repair - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

seat repair

So, I just bought a spare seat for my 919 which I intend to send in to be improved. it has a small hole punched through the vinyl, smaller than a dime, more of a semi-circular gash really. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or ideas in patching/glueing something like this.

My original seat has developed a couple of cracks in it recently, too, which I would like to fix...but I'd rather not pay to get the whole thing re-covered...unless that turns out to be inexpensive. Duck tape is not really an option, even though the idea is kinda appealing (I'm kidding)

So far, I'm thinking about superglue or something like that, but I don't want to make the situation worse. one of the two seats will end up being re-covered by whoever ends up improving it for me, Sargent etc...but I'd like to maintain the other one in decent condition.

Thanks

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Gain access to the back of that portion of the fabric, cut a patch 3-4 times larger than the damaged portion, glue it from the back with an appropriate flexible adhesive, clamp or pres until set. Use enough glue to cover all the damaged surface but minimize cleanup. Wax paprer will help prevent the clamping setup from sticking to the work.

Glue choice is probably the most difficult issue... as long as you aren't afraid to partially disassemble your seat.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

hmmm...I AM afraid, but I may have to get past that and just do it.

"The Shadow"

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
So, I just bought a spare seat for my 919 which I intend to send in to be improved. it has a small hole punched through the vinyl, smaller than a dime, more of a semi-circular gash really. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or ideas in patching/glueing something like this.

My original seat has developed a couple of cracks in it recently, too, which I would like to fix...but I'd rather not pay to get the whole thing re-covered...unless that turns out to be inexpensive. Duck tape is not really an option, even though the idea is kinda appealing (I'm kidding)

So far, I'm thinking about superglue or something like that, but I don't want to make the situation worse. one of the two seats will end up being re-covered by whoever ends up improving it for me, Sargent etc...but I'd like to maintain the other one in decent condition.

Thanks
Just send it to your seat company of choice,when it comes back I don't think you are going to care what shape the spare(other) is in.

post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:

Thanks
go to your local fabric shop and buy enough of your fabric (vinyl) of choice to cover above said seat... get a air stapler and take your time and use a hair dryer or heat gun (careful) to help heat and stretch the new cover.. and you can redo the cover and do a surprisingly good job...

pay close attention to the old cover as you remove the old staples...

then you'll have something to be proud of...

post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
go to your local fabric shop and buy enough of your fabric (vinyl) of choice to cover above said seat... get a air stapler and take your time and use a hair dryer or heat gun (careful) to help heat and stretch the new cover.. and you can redo the cover and do a surprisingly good job...

pay close attention to the old cover as you remove the old staples...

then you'll have something to be proud of...

I've been thinking about just this all afternoon...If I'm going to the trouble of patching it properly, I might as well give recovering it a go...I'll let you know how it turns out!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I've been thinking about just this all afternoon...If I'm going to the trouble of patching it properly, I might as well give recovering it a go...I'll let you know how it turns out!
patching will be harder and less satisfactory than recovering...

im just saying...

and then you can do it for your friends and pick up a few extra bones...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode