Scala Rider - Ping Shaughnessy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Scala Rider - Ping Shaughnessy

I saw a couple guys had Scala Rider bluetooth headsets on their helmets and I've been thinking about getting at least 2.

I did a quick search on eBay and came up with a set of 2 for $150. Are there different model? How far can you talk? Basically, if a second rider had one on his bike, how far apart could we be and still hear?

New Scala Rider Bluetooth Teamset Motorcycle Intercom:eBay Motors (item 110381478118 end time May-24-09 10:17:56 PDT)

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I've been strongly considering a pair myself, Jared says he really likes his. My only concern is that we always wear earplugs when we ride, don't know if I could hear it very well without taking out the earplug.

post #3 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Do you know if Jared was wearing ear plugs? Maybe he will see this thread and chime in.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 05:07 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Not sure if he had earplugs. I did some research last year on bluetooth communication systems, Interphone also gets good reviews: Interphone Bluetooth Intercom - webBikeWorld

post #5 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Not sure if he had earplugs. I did some research last year on bluetooth communication systems, Interphone also gets good reviews: Interphone Bluetooth Intercom - webBikeWorld
That one looks good as well. From what I've found the Interphone looks to be about the same price on eBay. I like that the Interphone advertises a 3-way range of 1600 feet. I'm going to do a little more checking on each and see what comes up.

post #6 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Talk to me... Im all EARS

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I would say this, do your homework and check what the difference (if any) between the "TeamSet" and the "Q2" re before you pull the pin because I have sold quiet few of the Q2s and my customers are extremely happy with them.

Now, if you want to go with the Teamset, hurry up, that price is Dealer Cost... even shipping charges are cheap

--------------- 0 ------------------- 0 -----------

http://www.motolube.net/images/WT-MLI%20Banner%20468x60.gif

You know Spies... buncha Biitchy little girls!
post #7 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I have a Scala Rider Q2...not the teamset, but I use it with my GPS and phone. The unit works great. Only downside is I wish it were a little louder at highway speeds. I would imagine you would need to remove your earplugs.

post #8 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
I would say this, do your homework and check what the difference (if any) between the "TeamSet" and the "Q2" re before you pull the pin because I have sold quiet few of the Q2s and my customers are extremely happy with them.

Now, if you want to go with the Teamset, hurry up, that price is Dealer Cost... even shipping charges are cheap
I'd go with a teamset if my wife decides to start riding with me. If not, I'll go in 50/50 on a 2x set of the Q2s. It would be nice on the longer rides to be able to chat with the person you are riding with.

I wouldn't want to talk much, but pointing something out (*EDIT: Debris, Sharp Turn, Stop Riding My Butt!, Police!, etc.) would be made easier.

EDIT: I do commute a lot on my bike so the ability to answer calls on the road would be a plus while commuting. I probably would leave the bluetooth disconnected when on a weekend ride.

post #9 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
EDIT: I do commute a lot on my bike so the ability to answer calls on the road would be a plus while commuting. I probably would leave the bluetooth disconnected when on a weekend ride.
I would say Bluetooth on a group ride on the weekend is one of the best features. I had a ride with another forum where the group got split up. The bluetooth ability helped get the group back togther again with a call to the lead of what became the second part of the group. If it wasn't for the BT, I don't know if we would have linked back up because the ride leader had briefed the ride, but not everyone was familiar with the roads.

I have been looking at getting one for music and GPS, more than anything else, but the phone link is certainly an advantage that I have now seen firsthand! Would also be good, when pushing curfew times like Shaugnese this weekend (or me on more than 1 occasion), to call the better half and let them know where you are and you are safe without having to stop and de-gear for a call.

Shawn

2004 Triumph Speed Triple SE (Speedy - Street Bike)
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Shamu - Track Bike)
post #10 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Here's the deal... The one you want to go with is the multi-set not the teamset. A couple of reasons for this is with the multi-set, each person has their own connection to a bluetooth phone, a hook up for an mp3 player, and can sync up to two other bluetooth headsets. The Team Set only allows the "primary" to be synced to a phone and neither comes with the mp3 hook up. I do not wear ear plugs. My father-in-law does. My helmet (a Scorpion EXO 400) is extremely good a eliminating wind noise up to 80mph. I can hear clearly up to 90mph. My father-in-law has a much noiser helmet and wears earplugs. He has a hard time hearing me past 70mph. Lower speeds than 70 he has no problems discerning what I am saying and he has poor hearing...

There is a price difference on the multi vs the team sets. I bought the multi set (comes with two Q2 sets) for $250 shipped on ebay brand new. I went to a dealer and they wanted $400. They come with a one year manufacturer's warrenty. It really came in handy this weekend when I wasn't completely sure where I was going and mark could let me know, cops, gravel, and ect. Mark broke down on the way back and I didn't have to pull over, take off the helmet, and so on to figure out where he was as he just called me.

The range is really line of sight. They say 1/4 mile but I have found on flat ground it can be as much as 3/4 mile while in the hills it can be as little as 300 feet. Battery life is amazing! I listened to my music and talked with Mark all 8.5 hours yesterday and still have battery power today.

Did I get everything?

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #11 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I had considered many options but for the price/options, I thought the Scala Rider was the way to go... Oh, and instilation was a 5 min ordeal with the Scorpion helmet whereas Mark's $700 helmet took close to 30 min because his foam liners were glued in instead of velcro like mine...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #12 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Thanks guys. When a little extra side work comes in, I know what I'm buying...A new helmet and the Scala Rider Q2 setup.

post #13 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Tirone??

Me and my father use the Scala Rider Q2. I love the unit. The distance advertised is up to 1600 feet, which is plenty for normal riding. I like it very much because it is more like talking on a cell phone, rather than talking on a radio. You do not have to wait for the other person to finish talking to speak. This is very nice. Only downside that I have had was how loud it was at highway speeds. Needs to be louder when going down the highway.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #14 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

One thing I forgot, my wife can't tell I'm riding when I talk to her on the scala rider... Really works well.

post #15 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

about all these noise issues. I wonder if that could be fixed with some sort of neck curtain that goes around the bottom of the helmet. I can't think what they are actually called right now but I always see them in the front 10% of the Dennis Kirk catalog.

post #16 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
about all these noise issues. I wonder if that could be fixed with some sort of neck curtain that goes around the bottom of the helmet. I can't think what they are actually called right now but I always see them in the front 10% of the Dennis Kirk catalog.
On our way home headed north we were bucking a decent wind. It made both our necks sore fighting against our helmets lifting up, some wind barrier attached to the bottom of the helmet would have been helpful in that situation.

post #17 of 23 Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
On our way home headed north we were bucking a decent wind. It made both our necks sore fighting against our helmets lifting up, some wind barrier attached to the bottom of the helmet would have been helpful in that situation.
We were heading into the wind on our way up. The ride home was much better.

post #18 of 23 Old 05-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

Thanks fellas, I was looking into a couple of helmet mounted radios and was favoring the Scala because of it's FM radio. The Chatterbox has more range but I'd have to connect up an FM.
I wish someone would build a CB radio that would mount on your helmet like the aforementioned units and have decent range with a shortened antenna. Channel 19 is the only way to know real time traffic conditions and especially where the bears are hiding.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #19 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
Thanks fellas, I was looking into a couple of helmet mounted radios and was favoring the Scala because of it's FM radio. The Chatterbox has more range but I'd have to connect up an FM.
I wish someone would build a CB radio that would mount on your helmet like the aforementioned units and have decent range with a shortened antenna. Channel 19 is the only way to know real time traffic conditions and especially where the bears are hiding.
I know this is a thread resurrection, but I found it while looking up previous info on the Scala Rider Q2 before I placed an order on eBay (well...put in a Best Offer anyway)

Naked/SS. A guy I ride with often just bought a hand-held CB setup for his bikes. It is a J&M unit that allows bike to bike communication, BC, and cell phone hook up. It sounds a little cumbersome since all the parts had to be 'adapted' to the CB system, but there is such an item out there. He clips the CB on his side, then the headset/microphone is mounted inside his helmet.

post #20 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Hope & I both bought a Q2 setup before our jaunt out to Virginia from Colorado this fall...the bluetooth worked fantastic! everybody is suprised to find out I'm riding when I use it... as for bike-to-bike, Hope & I were able to chat if we wanted to, or not...but more importantly, we were able to tell each other if we needed to pull off, or point out interesting sights, and give warnings of various kinds. it worked really well.

The speakers are not the best for listening to music...this set doesn't have the dual-channel A2DP, and they sound tinny. If you are only buying it for music, get a nice set of earbuds instead.

The FM radio function sucks, it's almost worthless. there is no search/seek function, so you have to continually push the stiff little damn buttons with your gloved fingers to scan up & down the dial since FM range is roughly 100 miles or less for the average station, and the range of the dial is very limited...from about 87-95.5 (there aren't many decent stations in that range!) I would actually get better use from the radio function if it was AM.

Overall, I like the Q2 and I'm pleased I bought it!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #21 of 23 Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I just bought a brand new Scala Rider Q2 from a seller on eBay. He has them listed for Buy It Now (or best offer) at $99.99 + $9.99 shipping. I offered him $91 and he sent me an email saying he would do $95 + $9.99 shipping.

I ordered one! $104.99. Better deal than even splitting a Multi-Set with someone.

post #22 of 23 Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I would be looking at the Q4 set, they say the distance is now at a mile.

Translation is a little more than line of site.
Jared and I have had issues with the darn things syncing back up after getting out of range.

post #23 of 23 Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I looked at the new G4s but that's just more than I want to spend. The Q2 is less than half the price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode