Opinion: Which Bagger old v. new? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Opinion: Which Bagger old v. new?

Say what you want about Harleys but I've been riding one for the past few months and LOVING it. They are wonderful touring bikes and I have developed a deep man-love for the genre. I'd love to plunk down on a new one but it's not financially realistic for me. But I could probably swing something between $4-7K with a little creativeness/inventory blowout.

So I've realized I love the OLD HD's....Old shovel-head FLH's and FLT's make my blood boil. In the meantime I also have a soft-spot for the lesser known, but much more sensible Honda Shadow ACE tourer. It's a real byoot made in 98-99, that subsequently disappeared.

Here's how I see it

HD FLH/T

-Has the Harley "mystique" and styling that no Jap bike will ever have ever ever, and styling that, to my eye, is in a word, "gorgeous".... A clean sweet 70's FLH is a conversation piece the likes of which no Jap bagger can ever be. If you don't understand this, you simply don't understand this.

-Has the Harley tempermentalness. Shovels had their issues. Anyone that that you buy will likely have some issue. It's part of the deal.

-Price $7-9K mileage varies from 30K on up

Honda ACE tourer

-It's a Honda, for crissakes. It will run forever.

-It's actually well presented, with the dual pipes, and rounder bags. But it doesn't tickle my pee-pee like the HD

-It lacks all the mystique and heritage discussed above.

-It's cheaper. $3.5 to 5.5K low mileage units exist.

Please Opine!. What would you guys do? Help me see the light.

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD1.jpg (24.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 77HD2.jpg (30.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg ACE1.jpg (41.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ACE3.jpg (31.0 KB, 27 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 06:27 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Obviously you want an old HD, go for it!

post #3 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

Yep I do but I'm not the most mechanically proficient guy. I know we got some crusty old HD riders on here and some Shadow owners too. I'd love to hear from them there guys............and anyone else.

I respect alot of the opinions on here and they will help shape my decision.

post #4 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think there's something to be said for a motorcycle that requires more hands on. I think it makes for a more well rounded 'cyclist. I think that's important. I'm sure I will get there with my niner but if I had my druthers, I'd go through a kz1000-p and make a nice touring machine out of it. If you have a chance to get something that will bring out the wrench in you, I gotta give that a thumbs up.

post #5 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Discen

well i can't say to much about the Harley, I've never had one.

As for the Shadow, I have a 2000 750 ACE with 112,000kms on it and I've never had a problem, had to replace the clutch that was all. Very reliable bike and a nice fit and finish to boot.

post #6 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 AM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

My shovel is a 79 . Just shy of 80k miles. I'm the original owner. $5164 + a H-D helmet.I'm no "A" mechanic, but i've done 80% of the work myself. Your right about the whole H-D if I have to explain...you won't understand thing. I feel it's more than a machine , it's got the ability to turn heads and make you grin from ear to ear. The 79 had issues that I worked out. After that it was general maintenance, and RIDE !! Keep looking . There are still some good deals out there on Shovel heads. Unless you have a set of cracked engine cases, everything can be re-furbished. As far as Metric cruiser vs H-D......No one ever looked at my bike and said OOOOh ... look....a Honda. How many people look at a metric cruiser and say OOOOh .. look..a Harley ? They have the look that everyone has emulated at one time or another.

P.S. In the late 90's I was offered 12K for my bike. Loony $ob (me) turned it down. And HEY.....Who you calling Crusty ???

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #7 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

What FXS said is true. Shovels got a bad rap, and passed it on to HD in general because the quality control during the 70's was atrocious. They can be reliable, especially with all the new parts available for them, factory and aftermarket. Build a solid one and As long as you arent trying to push as much power out of em as you can get out of a twinkie or evo they can run for thousands of miles.

You can find Evo's in the same price range, but no they wont have quite the same character or mystique as a shovel.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #8 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 02:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

GDJAM, if you haven't already done so, take a hop to the H/D plant up in the keystone. Take the tour. Short, but neato bandito anyway.

post #9 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXS View Post
My shovel is a 79 . Just shy of 80k miles. I'm the original owner. $5164 + a H-D helmet.I'm no "A" mechanic, but i've done 80% of the work myself. The 79 had issues that I worked out. After that it was general maintenance, and RIDE !!
What issues did you have to deal with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
What FXS said is true. Shovels got a bad rap, and passed it on to HD in general because the quality control during the 70's was atrocious. They can be reliable, especially with all the new parts available for them, factory and aftermarket. Build a solid one and As long as you arent trying to push as much power out of em as you can get out of a twinkie or evo they can run for thousands of miles.
I don't think I'd be trying to squeeze a lotta HP outta a 30 yr. old bike. To me it's just not that kind of bike. If it makes a little noise and carry my fat ass and my wife, that's all I really ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
GDJAM, if you haven't already done so, take a hop to the H/D plant up in the keystone. Take the tour. Short, but neato bandito anyway.
A friend of mine tells me the same, It's on my bucket list for sure.

post #10 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I actually like the looks of the ACE better...but yeah, you got to go with the bike that makes you smile whenever you see it or sit on it.

post #11 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Legalize it please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post

I don't think I'd be trying to squeeze a lotta HP outta a 30 yr. old bike. To me it's just not that kind of bike. If it makes a little noise and carry my fat ass and my wife, that's all I really ask.
I wouldn't tell him that! When he redid the motor he had an S&S stroker kit put in... that ol war horse moves!

Get the one you want! Don't "settle" for one. I had a Harley and a Honda cruiser and loved them both for different reasons... If you are seriosly considering Honda, look at the Aero. Mine was a 2000 1100, I think i paid 4,500 and it had 4,000 miles on it.

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #12 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I don't think I'd be trying to squeeze a lotta HP outta a 30 yr. old bike. To me it's just not that kind of bike.
Its not nor will it every be a high HP bike !

Ive got a buddy who bought an FLH new back in 78 - and Ive gotta tell ya, after all the years , he has got a really nice ride . It runs well, stopps pretty good, handles well and is reliable. Seems he rebuilt the crank and had it balanced ( its actually almost smooth ! ), replaced the carb with a Mikuni and replaced the ignition with some sort of new upgrade - Cool bike -

Ive always entertained the idea of finding a 84 FLHT , my budget and other demands have never allowed for susch a bike - With the 84 stuff , you get the Evo top end with the Shovel bottom and in some cases a 5 speed evo tranny in the shovel cases , or some such non-sence - still with a kick starter ! As if !

If you want a HD , get the HD - nothing will be exactly that and if you get the Honda, youll wish you had gotten the other -

Good luck and keep us updated !

post #13 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Some of the early issues were in the heads construction. The design was solid , but the Einsteins put a hardened steel valve with a hardened steel valve guide. Would get hung up if they got a little carbon on the stem and you got them hot. Replaced the guides with the 1981 bronze guide and a set of Manley Stainless valves.The bronze guide was longer so the valve didn't rock in the guide so much.Had to have the head drilled to accept the longer guide.Also had the "newer" oil seal on the valve stems. While it was appart we replaced the valve seats so it could run UN-leaded fuel!! Three angle valve grind.and bolted it back together.Put 60 K mi on it before putting in a S&S 93" Stroker Kit. Tore it down by choice.It always ran strong.
Aside from a speedo drive , a speeodometer , and a headlight bucket , anything tht broke was something I put on........M

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
post #14 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

post #15 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

You're getting warm but I think it's gotta have hard luggage like this one......

post #16 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

How many miles ? If the motors dry ( head and cylnder base gaskets) and the front fork seals are dry, i'd offer him 5500. With a $7k budgit , it leaves you $1500 to get her roadworthy. IF THATS WHAT LIFTS YOUR SKIRT !!

post #17 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

My "man love" reached a fever pitch with this beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80FLH.jpg (81.0 KB, 21 views)

post #18 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I was just going to suggest looking for a copcycle turn-in. Ukes here gets 3 or 4 a year and usually priced around 15 grand with decent miles.

post #19 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Tirone

Quote:
I was just going to suggest looking for a copcycle turn-in. Ukes here gets 3 or 4 a year and usually priced around 15 grand with decent miles.
Did someone say cop cycle? How about a 99 Kawasaki 1000 cop cycle, complete with saddle bags, lights, persuit functions and low mileage for $3999.00 Interested? Danville Virginia Durham North Carolina Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki KTM Motorcycles ATV Dealer Used Parts ask for Bob

Now back to the subject. From experience I have learned.
1- Don't buy to small, you always wish you had a bigger bike.
2- Do you ride with a certain group of people? (peer pressure) if you do not stay with a bike kinda like their's then you will feel out of place.
3- Or you may be the kinda of guy that don't give a S##t, and gonna ride what you like no matter what the other dudes say. (my kinda guy)

Just my 2 cents, (since the election may only be 1cent now)

post #20 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

+1 what ^ he said about the bike "Just my 2 cents,(since the election may be 1cent now) LMAO !! You said it.

post #21 of 37 Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDVMAX View Post
Did someone say cop cycle? How about a 99 Kawasaki 1000 cop cycle, complete with saddle bags, lights, persuit functions and low mileage for $3999.00 Interested? Danville Virginia Durham North Carolina Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki KTM Motorcycles ATV Dealer Used Parts ask for Bob

Now back to the subject. From experience I have learned.
1- Don't buy to small, you always wish you had a bigger bike.
2- Do you ride with a certain group of people? (peer pressure) if you do not stay with a bike kinda like their's then you will feel out of place.
3- Or you may be the kinda of guy that don't give a S##t, and gonna ride what you like no matter what the other dudes say. (my kinda guy)

Just my 2 cents, (since the election may only be 1cent now)
I used to check out the old kawi-p's on e-bay. they were calling 2-3 grand and 30-60 thousand miles. That would be my choice for a rebuilder.

post #22 of 37 Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Legalize it please?

Quote:
I used to check out the old kawi-p's on e-bay. they were calling 2-3 grand and 30-60 thousand miles. That would be my choice for a rebuilder.
The Kawi's were never as stable at speed as the Harley's though. They accually never tested them loaded with all of the Fuzz Gear and it caused quite a few accidents...... Buy the HD...Granted the Kawi's only had the prob with the Po stuff, as long as you werent runnin to heavy a siren you sould be fine!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #23 of 37 Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

They look the same to me... Go with the one that tickles your fancy and you won't mind learning to work on it.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #24 of 37 Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

post #25 of 37 Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase

I like it man but a chrome tank?.........and 9500 is too much

post #26 of 37 Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
I like it man but a chrome tank?
But da chrome's where it's at yo !

Your search is over ! And its within your price range !
http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/convert%20RH%20side.JPG
http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/classbbikes.htm

post #27 of 37 Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

He said it's all stock, I thought the chrome tank and white bags were a bit unusual too.

post #28 of 37 Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Tirone

Right now I ride a 2006 Roadking and am very happy with it but cannot do all the work on it I would like to due to the advance electronics Harley's now have. The older bikes are good for the backyard mechanics as you can work on everything yourself which is great, also most of the old problems ie: oil leaks, have been solved and you can find the repairs and fixes on line. I have nothing against any make of bike and I never bash any other make but there is just something great about cruising on a Harley.

post #29 of 37 Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Nice grave dig! (That's my job...) Many years ago I owned a '66 sporty stroked to 90 cid in a rigid frame and before that I had a '68 mostly stock sporty. They were alot of fun back then but I LOVE my 919 now.

post #30 of 37 Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Milites Gregarius

If I may add. I started back riding on an 06 1100 v-star bought at then end of 06. Great bike. Ran great,started every time,all it ever needed was oil changes. The aftermarket was pretty big too but I never did anything to that bike but put gas in it.
Then I came across my street bob. Love at first sight. Buying the bike was just the down payment. All the little stuff soon adds up to a big bill,but I wouldn't have it any other way.
The Harley has a soul to the best I can explain,the v-star was just a bike.
Harley marketing sure has done it's job well. And the new bikes are as durable as any competitor.
Now if I was going to buy a new bike the yamaha raider is a nice piece but the victory judge is an animal.
But none of them are my street bob. Many were built like it but this one is mine.

post #31 of 37 Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
no max no more

my first harley was a 77 flh,,black with white bags and fairing .....after a year stripped it down to a naked.....great fun bike...friend was a mechanic so i didnt have a lot of down time..........depend if your looking for dependable riding season.....or something to tinker and ride...its all good

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #32 of 37 Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
my first harley was a 77 flh,,black with white bags and fairing .....after a year stripped it down to a naked.....great fun bike...friend was a mechanic so i didnt have a lot of down time..........depend if your looking for dependable riding season.....or something to tinker and ride...its all good
So what you're saying is, because I don't really have any friend mechanics, I should not get a Harley. Got it.

Kidding, kidding.....

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #33 of 37 Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 AM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
So what you're saying is, because I don't really have any friend mechanics, I should not get a Harley. Got it.

Kidding, kidding.....
pretty much. it...yes

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #34 of 37 Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

How about real brand new and with better reliablity. Like this beauty.....

2012 Victory Hard-Ball Picture 1 of 6 - Motorcycle USA

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #35 of 37 Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Victorys [sp. Victories...?] are sexy bikes. I'd love me a Kingpin, Vegas or Hammer. And they're from Spirit Lake, Iowa, which, since I'm in state, is even more American to me than HD. Wisconsin cheese eaters anyway.... jk.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #36 of 37 Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Tesserarius

While we're on Victory, the bagger that has my eye is the Victory Cross Country and non can match it. That being said get the Harley. If it is what you truly want but you settle for the ACE. You will still always want the Harley.

MotoUSA 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour video - YouTube

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #37 of 37 Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave
How about real brand new and with better reliablity. Like this beauty.....

2012 Victory Hard-Ball Picture 1 of 6 - Motorcycle USA
Well they do build a better engineered product. The pushrod days have come and gone. Harley needs to spend some money being cutting edge tech. Jmo.
And the red victory judge is a bad ass bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode