Older better than newer!? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Twisted Wrister

Older better than newer!?

So you want to buy a new bike. Your thought would be that the latest and greatest 2006 model would be lighter, faster and more refined. It seems that in the last few years, smaller changes have occurred on many of the mainstream models. Infact, some of the newer bikes may be less desirable because of these changes. Has industry tapped the performance curve? What's left to refine. A tweak here and a twist there should not justfy a new model. Are sportbikes to fast as it is? Share with us some of the bikes you have owned and wish you had kept its predeseccor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

If I could single out one bike that I owned and wish I still had. It would absolutely be my 1993 VFR750F in Pearl White. That machine was nearly perfect in every way. The only thing I would have changed on it, would have been to put it on a strict diet. For all it's glory, it was a heavy bike. I think the present line-up of sportbikes has nearly peaked, but there will be minimal improvements in design over the next few generations. It would seem that the bikes have increased their performance beyond the limits of the tracks they were designed to be ridden upon. Future improvements in aesthetic quality and ergos would be welcome from my P.O.V.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600RidgeRunner
If I could single out one bike that I owned and wish I still had. It would absolutely be my 1993 VFR750F in Pearl White. That machine was nearly perfect in every way.
That was one sweet bike, loved those gear driven cams. My friend recently sold one exactly like yours Pearl White with about 10k on the clock and mint.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 PM
get use to the view...

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Older does have it's benefits. Although a little heavier than a new one, you know what you're getting & they're fun to ride. But most have miles on 'em & been ridden hard. With a new one you get something that's fresh, lean and full of spunk, & you get to break it in the way you want. But it may not live up to your expectations.

ummm... we are talking about bikes, right?

Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

The weight is a sign of reliablity.

There's an example of one of my old bikes in a local museum. Whenever I start feeling nostalgic about the old days I start to think about tires that'd slide when you looked at them, a batter that would last 9 months like clockwork, valves that'd knock themselves out of spec so you could set your watch to the day you'd be pulling rocker covers, non existant speed and pogo stick suspepension,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then I think about the fun of jetting carbs and call it day.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
That was one sweet bike, loved those gear driven cams. My friend recently sold one exactly like yours Pearl White with about 10k on the clock and mint.
Mine ended its life by burying itself into the nose of a Saturn. The insurance adjuster said it was the most pristine motorcycle he had ever scrapped. He then politely handed me a check for $5,000. This was in 2001, 8 years after it rolled off the showroom floor. That machine was in better than showroom condition. Saturn driver!

post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
MidTN9er

I thought Saturns all had that "bounce-back" exterior??

My first bike was a '79 Honda CB350 that I bought from a guy who tore it down but couldn't get it running. Put it back together from pieces in the box. Most fun bike (besides my 9er) was a 84' Honda Custom 400 with a passenger seat back support and Corbin seat. Had my son riding with me on that one when he was just 2-3 years old. He cried like crazy when I sold that one!

Now he's got the bug and is saving for his own bike. He rides Dad's 919 from time to time, but that one belongs to ME!

post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Princeps Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Older better than newer?

Nah... i once rode Sporty but then went back to a newer model...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode