Ninja 636 owners - tell me about your bike - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Ninja 636 owners - tell me about your bike

I'm considering buying a 2006 Ninja ZX-6R. There is one for sale in my area, in mint condition, with the following spec:

Specifications:

- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636, Green
- Original owner
- NEVER downed or dropped
- 85xx miles
- Dunlop Qualifiers put on towards the end of last summer
- Wheels and rearsets/pegs powder coated gloss black
- Forks and calipers painted gloss black
- DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs high and low beam
- Leo Vince carbon slip on
- New battery
- Flush turn signals
- Integrated tail

He is willing to let it go for $4700, was asking $4,850. Anything to be on the lookout for? Any known failures or recalls on this year Ninja?

I'm torn between this one and the full blown ZX-10R. I like the idea of the smaller, slightly lighter bike, and not sure I'd use the additional power of the 10R very often. Thoughts on the bike, the price, and things to look for when I test ride it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ken

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
The Cripple

he's asking too much. roommate bought a 2007 ninja 650r (i know, different bike, but keep reading!) with 572 miles on the clock back in jan for $3700. get him down to 4200-4500 and you'll do alright.

post #3 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

You could always compare on cycletrader or carsoup and use that as bargaining if his price is too high. I bargained a boat that way. A quick look puts his price right in line for the ZX-6R's around that year.

From personal experience, FWIW, I had a CBR600F4 and I never regretted not having a CBR1000. Plenty of power in the middleweights for about the past 10 years.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

post #4 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've never owned one, but I read BIKE/ "Visor Down" magazine. Every month they do an owners survey on one particular model bike. They did a survey on the Kawie 6s a little while back. I could maybe find it if I looked long enough. From what I read, like all Kawie's they're well built. They have few problems. The 636s had a engine with more midrange than other 600s at the time. Handling wasn't as razor sharp as the R6 and CBR600. But it was supposidly more comfy than other 6s at the time, making it a better street bike. I was kicking around the idea of buying one, for a while. Got a `07 CBR600RR instead.

If it's been garage kept and is minty, I don't think he's too far out of line on price, but I'd haggle to get the best he could do. I have a 929. I've ridden the ZX10. I never thought I'd like a 6 but I really like mine.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

I'm considering buying a 2006 Ninja ZX-6R. There is one for sale in my area, in mint condition, with the following spec:

Specifications:

- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636, Green

He is willing to let it go for $4700, was asking $4,850. Anything to be on the lookout for? Any known failures or recalls on this year Ninja?

Ken
The 636 reminded me more of a CBR600F4I than a CBR600RR...Sporty but still comfortable. I would pay that price for it, but that is just me personally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
he's asking too much. roommate bought a 2007 ninja 650r (i know, different bike, but keep reading!) with 572 miles on the clock back in jan for $3700. get him down to 4200-4500 and you'll do alright.
The 636 and the 650r are two completely different bikes, in two different classes.... 636 is a 4 cylinder sport bike, and 650r is a 2 cylinder standard trying to look sporty (don't take that as an insult, I like them both and its the best way to describe it)

post #6 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I can't give you any personal experience, apart from having a go on one a few years back.
I have only heard good things about the 2005/6 636's

post #7 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
US Army

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Went on a ride a couple weeks ago and a guy had a 650R, not even close to an inline four. I've heard good things about the 636 though. If the price is close to what's listed in books I'd go for it. More comfortable than an all out super sport.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

OK, the plot thickens!

2006 Ninja 636 (Kaw green with black trim), 8K miles, excellent condition, Leo Vince carbon slip on, $4700

OR

2005 Honda CBR f4i (dark red with silver trim), 8K miles, excellent condition, rear blinker delete kit, needs new front tire, $4,400

Which one? Why?

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #9 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

ken... the 636 is a great bike.... i have ridden a few and raced against a few... they are FAST.. handle great... great brakes... really nothing negative to say about them...

one of my buddies scott *(who is a MSF instructor) rides one.... well.......

buy it.. thats not a bad price....

post #10 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

and in this one particular case i would take the kwacker over the honda...

in this one case i personally think the kawi is the better choice...

post #11 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

The plot thickens...

Another PM last night from an older guy with an '02 CBR954RR in mint shape, new tires, and low miles. Asking 4800 OBO. I know these bikes got great reviews right before they went full liter. And I know, properly cared for, they will last forever. Not sure what the life expectancy of the 600-class bikes is (?)

So, here's the contenders right now:

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #12 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Sike

Wow, you need therapy............

The 636's are the best 600's for the street. But, from what you were talking about before, if you buy a 600 you are still going to want a 1000. And, the 954, although a really nice bike, still isn't "like" the currrent crowd of literbikes. Up your budget to $6000 and there will be a huge crop of beautiful literbikes in the running (and, when you sell it you won't lose much if any more money that any of the other bikes). This will give you the best experience, if what you want is the intensity of a literbike.

Good luck you fickle buyer........

post #13 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
If I want input from my wife, I'll ask for it! What can I say? Mid-40's and feeling like my days of being able to enjoy or desire a sport bike are dwindling....

Quote:
The 636's are the best 600's for the street. But, from what you were talking about before, if you buy a 600 you are still going to want a 1000. And, the 954, although a really nice bike, still isn't "like" the currrent crowd of literbikes. Up your budget to $6000 and there will be a huge crop of beautiful literbikes in the running (and, when you sell it you won't lose much if any more money that any of the other bikes). This will give you the best experience, if what you want is the intensity of a literbike.

On paper, my instinct is leaning me to the f4i because of it's more humane ergos, slightly lower seat height, it's adult owned and stock. But geez, that 636 sure is gorgeous! I don't need the latest and greatest. I have many, many years of riding under my belt but also know I'm not enough of a rider to truly tap the potential of any of these bikes, whether they are 3 years old or 8 years old.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #14 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #15 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have a 929, the predecessor to the 954. I can NEVER, EVER remember having the thing wide open near redline and thinking, geez, I wish I had more. At 440 pounds full of fuel, they're still lightweights.

I like F4Is ergos. A set of HeliBars on something like that would be hard to beat comfort wise. They run decent.

I'd still get the Kawie. Maybe put HeliBars on that.

post #16 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:

What he said, but given your choices, I would go the 636. More modern tech than the 954, never heard anything but praise for them. They look bloody gorgeous. I know a mc sales guy that used to run and apparently keep up with the litre boys in the "Litre Club" around a pretty notorious run over here. Few guys over here weren't too impressed when Kawa went back to the 599cc.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Tesserarius

sent you a pm

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #18 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Too bad you are on the other side of the country from me...my brother is thinking about selling his zx10, beautiful bike meticulously maintained.

I rode a 636 and liked it very much, it was weird how high revving it was, but i'm sure after a day you wouldn't notice it anymore.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Just on looks alone, I actually think the 2005/2006 ZX6 & 10's are much better looking than the current models. They are actually very nice looking bikes to put it mildly. Better curves and shapes. The current lot has too angular and sharp looking lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode