My almost new FJR1300! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

My almost new FJR1300!

Well for those of you who were following the saga on the "Craigslist Finds Today" thread, you know that I drove to Saginaw, MI today and bought an '07 FJR. For those of you who weren't, hey, I drove to Saginaw, MI today and bought an '07 FJR!

Found it on Craigslist, had been looking at one locally in Indianapolis but that deal fell through, this one is virtually new, has only 480 miles! Was bought by a retired gentleman who then realized that carpal tunnel syndrome in his left hand wouldn't allow him to enjoy the bike for more than about 20 minutes before pain set in. I bought it for his payoff amount, $9500. Market price in Indy for this bike would be about $11,500-$12,000, I've been looking at '05 models with over 10,000 miles for $9000. This one is even still under factory warranty!

Not a scratch on it, fully loaded, ABS, trunk, bag liners, and a very nice V-Stream windshield that is about 4" taller than stock (stock w/s included). I haven't ridden it much yet, just a test ride and then from his house to the hotel and now it's raining again, have it parked under the canopy with the desk clerk promising to keep an eye on it tonight for me.

Here's some pics, Gin was following and took a couple as I rode ahead, the rest are in the hotel parking lot. I'll post detailed riding impressions when I get home tomorrow, supposed to clear up and I'm hoping for a decent ride home. 325 miles up here, should give me a good chance to get to know the bike. One funny side note, I pulled my riding pants out of the trunk to put on and go for a test ride, realized that I'd brought Ginger's instead, would look like shorts on me! Guess it's jeans for the ride home, at least I have a choice of two jackets depending on the weather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

She's a beaut! I like that color, have a great trip home with your new ride!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #3 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

sweet

Anybody don`t wanna get killed better clear on out the back.

post #4 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Gorgeous! Love the color. Congrats, Scott! You've got a fantastic stable now!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sweet purchase and great find! Congrats! I'm jealous.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #6 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Thanks, I'm still kind of in shock that we're in Michigan at a Fairfield Inn hotel with a new motorcycle parked outside. Just kind of fell into place and felt like the right bike, plus I know if for some reason I don't totally love it I can sell it for more than I paid.

I liked the guy I bought it from, Chuck is a 63yo retired GM worker, has a beautiful '08 Corvette in his garage and a new Cadillac CTS in the driveway. His wife drove a Chevy Aveo, base model with no a/c and crank windows, didn't seem to share his love of nice machines. He was sad to see the bike go but I reassured him it was going to a good home.

We're having all kinds of long distance touring fantasies. We're heading to Iowa to visit my Mom next weekend, thinking if the forecast is decent we could ride out, there is a pickup there we can drive if we need a vehicle. Also will go to Ohio to visit Gin's family, up to northern Michigan to my brother's lake house, and when we're up for a big trip, down to my Pensacola business.

Looking forward to my long ride home tomorrow and hoping for sunshine!

post #7 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

We have at lest one other knowledgeable member who owns a FJR1300.
All the best of luck with the new bike Scott.

post #8 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 07:56 PM
pew pew pew

congrats on that beauty!!

post #9 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

That is a gorgeous color! Nice find!

post #10 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Very glad it worked out! Congrats! Ride it for a year then I'll gladly take it off your hands.

post #11 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

She's a beauty!

post #12 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

wow! congratulations!! Absolutely gorgeous, can't wait to see where it will take you.

post #13 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well it's foggy and wet this morning with a band of storms running lengthwise between here and home. Looks like we'll enjoy the hotel's hot tub and breakfast and take our time hitting the road, let the weather pass.

Dreamed all night about my new motorcycle, guess I'm a bit excited to take that first road trip! Stayed up too late checking out accessories and reading up on it, figuring out what mods come first. Doesn't need much, just some frame sliders to start. I'll buy a bike cover for garage storage, maybe some slip on exhausts eventually but I don't want it to be loud like the 919, will have to research my options.

post #14 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Congrats Scott, Thats one beautiful bike. Although a ways away that's on my short list of next bikes. Looks like you got a great deal too! Nice, very nice!

post #15 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 04:05 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Congrats Scott.
Enjoy your ride home today.
post #16 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Love the color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
That is a gorgeous color!
I was unsure of the color at first, wanted one of the blue ones, but it in person the "Black Cherry" is really beautiful and unique, love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Very glad it worked out! Congrats! Ride it for a year then I'll gladly take it off your hands.
You know this is all your fault!

post #17 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Milites Gregarius

What a find on a gorgeous bike! Talk about high-speed cruising at it's best! Congratulations on having the best of both worlds in your garage!

"The only thing I know, is that I don't know anything". Socrates

2006 919
post #18 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Dang dude,... Nice bike. I'm sure you can make all your touring fantasies come true with that! I'm digging that color, I'll bet it looks really good in the sunlight.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #19 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

congrats man

post #20 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Cool. Nice find. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #21 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Ok, down to a light drizzle, looks like it will clear up by the time we get to southern Michigan, time to hit the road!

More to come.....

post #22 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

What a great deal! Congrats, and enjoy chomping down the miles on that ride.

post #23 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
You know this is all your fault!
I was so excited in anticipation I couldn't sleep Friday. You are very welcome! While you are safely riding that awesome bike all over the States please post many trip reports so I can vicariously enjoy your adventures!

Suggested updates: HL/BL modulators and Stebel airhorn.

post #24 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Ahhhh....home safe with an ice cold Grolsch Amber Ale in hand! Rode in intermittant rain for the first half of the trip, once we crossed into Indiana the sun came out and temps hit 90. Bike did great, I'll post detailed ride impressions later tonight.

Made it to Indy right as a big storm was blowing in, temp dropped 10 degrees, clouds turned ugly, lightning and thunder. Luckily I pulled into our driveway as the first big drops came down, quickly rearranged the bikes in the garage and managed to fit in the FJR. No way to fit both VWs and four bikes in our garage, sacrificed the Beetle to the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
I was so excited in anticipation I couldn't sleep Friday. You are very welcome! While you are safely riding that awesome bike all over the States please post many trip reports so I can vicariously enjoy your adventures!

Suggested updates: HL/BL modulators and Stebel airhorn.
I appreciate your excitement, sounds like we need to take a trip out to see you! I didn't get much sleep last night myself, dreams of big motorcycles dancing in my head and all.

I had plenty of time to think about what I'd change on my way home, the seat wasn't bad but I might consider an update eventually. I need a cruise control or throttle lock of some kind, got cramps in my right hand frequently as the throttle return spring is quite firm. I know I want frame sliders, Motovation makes some very nice "no cut" ones, have put Motovation sliders on the 919 and 599 and have been pleased with their quality and appearance. I thought about the Stebel horn, although the stock horn is quite loud already, still when you're cruising on the Interstate at 80mph, the louder the better. Other than that, the bike is very well set up, will just enjoy it for awhile and see what catches my eye.

post #25 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

One nice piece of machinery. Should be a real road burner.

[
post #26 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

awesome buy! and i LOVE that color! hope you get some major mileage on that beauty!

for a throttle lock, look into Throttlemeisters. had a set on my RR and it was great! they are machined very well and look clean installed.

I'd sell my soul for a trackday and some tires...
post #27 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Scott, congrats on the new bike. I have an FJR1300 as well, and if I could only own one bike it would be the FJR because it does so many things well. As for the heavy throttle, a well known fix is to disengage the center return spring on the throttle bodies by one loop. There is still plenty of spring return, yet it doesn't cause wrist issues. The FJRForum has the procedure with pictures set out in detail (if I was more computer savy I would post it up for you).

The Magnum Blaster horns are also a popular upgrade that I have done as well. The stock horns draw 300 milliamps, the Magnum Blasters draw 10 amps and when I hit the horns cars jump out of the way. With those horns or any other high current loud horns, you're going to need a relay and heavy gauge wire to install them properly. On the FJRForum there is a member that made up a wiring harness for these horns and sells it on the board.

If you have questions or need info about the FJR please feel free to PM me. Good luck and enjoy the new bike! Chris

post #28 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR919 View Post
Scott, congrats on the new bike. I have an FJR1300 as well, and if I could only own one bike it would be the FJR because it does so many things well. As for the heavy throttle, a well known fix is to disengage the center return spring on the throttle bodies by one loop. There is still plenty of spring return, yet it doesn't cause wrist issues. The FJRForum has the procedure with pictures set out in detail (if I was more computer savy I would post it up for you).

The Magnum Blaster horns are also a popular upgrade that I have done as well. The stock horns draw 300 milliamps, the Magnum Blasters draw 10 amps and when I hit the horns cars jump out of the way. With those horns or any other high current loud horns, you're going to need a relay and heavy gauge wire to install them properly. On the FJRForum there is a member that made up a wiring harness for these horns and sells it on the board.

If you have questions or need info about the FJR please feel free to PM me. Good luck and enjoy the new bike! Chris

Awesome Chris, thanks so much! I'm sure I'll have many questions for you as I get to know my bike and start making it my own.

post #29 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Now you guys are going to have me get a FJR!!! Bastages!!!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #30 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Can't believe I missed this thread! Way to go, Scott! Beautiful ride. You're gonna enjoy eating up some serious mileage now. I think a road trip to Winston-Salem is in order. You need me to give it the once-over for a weekend...

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #31 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Can't believe I missed this thread! Way to go, Scott! Beautiful ride. You're gonna enjoy eating up some serious mileage now. I think a road trip to Winston-Salem is in order. You need me to give it the once-over for a weekend...
You shouldn't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep, with all of the NC Wristtwisters it seems that a ride to that beautiful part of the country will be forthcoming!

Gin might get sent to Richmond, VA early next month for her company, Verizon employees are threatening to strike and since she's management she'll have to fill in. Thinking that would be quite the nice ride out to see her for the weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode