Most embarrassing spill? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Who's Tirone?

Most embarrassing spill?

So I got this idea from another thread. Simply, post up your most embarrassing spill. Everybody has something to share I'm sure. Whether you kicked it over getting gas, or knocked it over in your garage trying to get a beer out of your man fridge. Whatever lets share some red-faced moments.

Mine has to be the only time my niner has ever not been shiny side up thankfully. I had it for about 4-5 months back in '07. I used to go on very long trips and I wanted a way to take my chevy blazer and my bike without the hassle of a trailer. So I created a rack that mounts to my trailer hitch that allows the bike to ride sideways across the back of my blazer for the longer legs and I can easily load and unload the bike for short spirited runs wherever I feel the need.

Well needless to say after one long and very strenuous trip home I was unloading the bike at about 10 pm and lost it. I had the ramp set up and and was unstrapping the bike. For some reason I wasn't supporting the bike as I released the last strap and it tipped right off the rack onto it side down on the ground, maybe about a 16" drop overall. We're talking falling from an upright position 16" off the ground to laying on its side on the pavement! It actually almost dropped on top of me to but I got out of the way.
Now i'm super pissed at myself, embarrassed and tired. I move my truck out of the way, grab the handlebars and lift... its heavy in that position... keep lifting... almost there... its getting lighter.... and then it happens... wham right over onto its other side... WTF, I want to punch myself in the face for this. After the first try I expected the bike to feel lighter the closer it got to upright and got it up on two wheels again with no problems at all.

From this little exploit I still to this day have one shallow dent on the left side of the tank and 2-3 penny sized dents in the right side and a custom shorty brake lever.

Anyway I have not put the bike back on my rack since that night and I have a huge desire to keep the shiny side up haha.

Can anyone beat that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

where to start where to start... hmmmm

the most embarrasing spill...... i had a 1981 kawa kz1300.. that thing had a 6cyl engine on it and a full fairing up front... it had to have weighed.. 800-900 pounds.. anyway i had run to the store and came back home and pulled up into my pea gravel drive way and i grabbed the front brake and it locked and down it went on the left side with my leg under it...

i looked around put my right foot on the handlebar and pushed it up where i could get my left leg out... then i stood up and stood the bike up... looked around to make sure no one had seen me.... then i sheepishly went in the house feeling like a dumba$$... bout 5 mins later my buddy collin who lived across the street knocked on my door and when i answered the door he handed me a beer and grinned "hurt your leg when that thing fell on it?"....

i thought i had gotten away with the perfect crime... lol...

post #3 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I Spilled my hot coffee in my lap one time, it not only singed my nads it looked like I had peed my pants and it made me cry like a girl.
EMM-BARE-ASSING!!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

post #4 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Does today's incident count or do I need to wait a day or two????

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #5 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
Yeah just post the link to your thread. nah yours didn`t seem to embarrassing, more of a could have happened to anybody.

Anybody don`t wanna get killed better clear on out the back.
post #6 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Who's Tirone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
nope you're good man. haha. Like I said I was inspired by another thread. It happens to everyone eventually.

post #7 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
I Spilled my hot coffee in my lap one time, it not only singed my nads it looked like I had peed my pants and it made me cry like a girl.
EMM-BARE-ASSING!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Yeah just post the link to your thread. nah yours didn`t seem to embarrassing, more of a could have happened to anybody.

i notice you 2 didnt put anything..... fess up

post #8 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i notice you 2 didnt put anything..... fess up
Maybe I should read more than the title?? Or maybe I fessed up a long time ago?

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...t=lowsided+954

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #9 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I came to a stop at a stop sign once, and very out of character for me I put my foot down into a pothole just the right size for my foot and my foot kept going down until me and the bike fell over. i stood that bike up like it weighed 10 pounds drove off like I planned that [email protected] and promptly pulled over a mile and out of sight later to check the bike and straighten my mirror up. Very embarrassing because I am always completely tuned in to my enviroment and would have thought that I would never have missed that pothole, there you guys are the first to hear of this.

Anybody don`t wanna get killed better clear on out the back.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have yet to take a spill *knocks on wood*
I will let you know when it happens tho.

post #11 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
I have yet to take a spill *knocks on wood*
I will let you know when it happens tho.
maybe this weekend you will wanna drag race and i can kick your bike over at the start line...

post #12 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Discen

I was leaning up against my last bike, and all of a sudden the kick stand decided that it did not want to support me and the bike anymore and let go, I was talking to some girls as I fell onto my bike. VERY EMBARRASSING. Another. I had just filled up my tank and changed my oil (this is on my 02 919). I was driving through a parking lot. I was turning slowly, some cager decides to cut me off. The bike started falling, I managed to get a foot down before it hit the ground. I straddled the bike for a good thirty seconds (felt like hours.) I struggled and struggled to pick it up and finally managed, no damage, but very embarrassing. Another. I was getting on my bike one night after going to a movie with some friends. a couple was getting out of their car as I was putting my gear on, they said to be careful on that thing, they are dangerous and of course I said I was always careful. I was already sitting on the bike and dropped my glove. I forgot that I had already pulled up the kick stand and leaned over to pick it up and I grabbed the bike before it hit the ground. Mr. Careful struggled to pick it up in front of this couple like a complete moron. No damage, just a couple of rosy cheeks and feeling like a complete tool.

post #13 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
maybe this weekend you will wanna drag race and i can kick your bike over at the start line...
Did I ever say I wanted to drag race? I am really bad on my starts, kinda scared to really open it up... :-(
I believe I said I want to "compare" not race... COMPARE.

I am all about roll-on's tho.

And kicking over my life savings would be the worst thing you could do, I would probably ball up in the fetal position and rock back and forth crying silently to myself.

post #14 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Shoot to stop

My brother was going to teach me how to ride (after days upon days of me begging him to do so) when I was abou 15. Mom was at work so he was safe from her wrath and offered up his Honda dual sport bike that he had bought used a while back. What I didn't know (not that it would have helped at the time) was that the carb wasn't set right so you had to keep a little throttle on to keep it running. He gave me the basics and told me to hop on. Got the bike started, killed it, started it, killed it, started it and kept it going. He showed me how to put the bike in first and we were standing there with the clutch in while he was telling a couple of the finer points of riding (don't hit sh*t or you'll pay for it). My left hand slipped off the clutch, the bike jerked forward, my right had a deathgrip on the throttle and in turn gave the out of control bike full throttle. My first ride lasted all of about 1.2 seconds as I went flying across the road into the neighbors chain link fence. On one wheel. Took about a month before we admitted to my mom that I had been on the bike. Didn't start riding until I was around 32 or so.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #15 of 43 Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Tirone

2 a.m. leaving the watering hole. Me and a chic hop on and go for a ride around the lake. No kind of street lights or anything, pitch black. So, I am gonna pull over and make a "move". You could kinda tell it was that time the way she was "rubbing" me. Take a right to pull off. Stop. Don't think. Put my right foot down......WHOOOPS!!! Nothings there, too late. We both go over, land about 5 feet from the bike. Her purse spilled out, keys, everything. Needless to say, the "Mood" was killed. And I felt like the biggest idiot ever.

P.S. I DON'T CONDONE DRINKING AND DRIVING>

post #16 of 43 Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

A few years ago I was trying to teach my cousin how to ride wheelies on a dirt bike. I was on a CR125R and he had (I think) an XR100. We were in the field next to my house. I ride a few for 100 feet or so on my bike and he keeps trying on his. He said it wouldn't do it, I said, let me try on your bike. Apparently, I had forgotten about the gas line that was recently buried through the field. I got her to wheelie, held it for about 30 feet then all I knew was I was laying on the ground. The back tire dropped into the trench, front came down into the trench, forks dug into the dirt, and there I was laying on the ground with the back tire still spinning against my helmet.

All it did to his bike was bend the bars. I gave him about $45 for some new bars. I, however, had to go to school with two BLACK eyes and a goggle ring around my face. Oh yeah, the tire burn going up my back wasn't too pleasant either. More than anything, it bruised my ego.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #17 of 43 Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

One time I pulled into a gas station, opened the gas cap and filled up my 9er. Nozzle still in my right hand I start to lean the bike to the left to set it on the side stand. It starts leaning a little to far because I forgot to put the stand down. Bike half on me, me half on it and still gas nozzle in my hand, four of my friends looking at me laughing. Never again.

Spoiler:

post #18 of 43 Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Imaginifer

Many years ago I was pulling into work on my 79 Yamaha xs750 when my front wheel hit a spot where a car had been sitting dropping oil. That front end washed out faster than that bike could go.
Oh yea it was only time for shift change so there were probably only 50 people who saw me hit the ground!

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #19 of 43 Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Milites Gregarius

I was about to post that I hadn't dropped one yet when I remembered the first time I tried to ride a dirtbike at around 12. The other kids were telling me "just give it a little gas and let the clutch out". When I did it wheelied out from under me and we both hit the dirt.

post #20 of 43 Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

set an umbrella into the clipon because the sun was hot and there happened to be an umbrella sitting around the pits. I come back to get the bike for my session and it's on it's side. The wind grabbed the umbrella, which grabbed my bike, and pulled it over on it's side.

Also the bike fell over about 2 weeks after I bought it, while I was still on it... foot slipped on sand as I came to a stop.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #21 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Discen

8 or 9 years ago when I was 16 I purchased a brand new KLR250. All of my buds rode CRs, Kxs, RMs, YZs, etc.... I left my KX250 at home...

I thought I'd be cool and take my new dual sport for a spin with my friends and try to keep up with their motocross bikes.

One of my friends lived on 20+ acres of land... and his dad is cool as hell. We built a track on the back of their property. Whoops, a table top, banked turns and all.

I was rolling hard on the track trying like hell to keep up with 2 strokers and doing pretty good at it. I started hitting the doubles and ran the first set flawless... 2nd not so much. I lost momentum and when I hit the 2nd set my front tire hit the 2nd double HARD. I racked myself on the tank, got my foot tangled in the bars and the bike came over ontop of my head.... It hurt.

My pride was hurt most of all...

The bars were bent, forks kind of tweaked to one side, scratched to heck...

The bike was 2 weeks old, and I saved every penny I made over the summer to buy it. I had it looking good as new about 2 weeks later after I got some overtime in at work.

They laughed and pointed... but ultimately came over to make sure I wasn't hurt too bad, and I got back on a friends 'spare' bike and rode the rest of the day.

I still miss that dual sport, it was a great litte scoot.

post #22 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Here's another dumb thing that happened a couple weeks ago. This one wasn't really a spill, but I felt like an idiot.

I finished putting new tires on the 919 at a friends house and was ready to load it in the truck. I for got my loading board so he searched for one. He found a 2x10 but it had a point on one end instead of being blunt. We used a 2x4 to prop up the cut end and since it was a short board, I got all but 5 or 6 inches into the truck and lost my balance, throttled hard, and let out on the clutch. The board shot out the back, the rear tire sat on the bumper then rolled back so the end of the header was resting on the back of the bed. with the rear wheel slowly spinning.

Let's say I'm not going to do that again. I'll grunt and muscle it up next time instead of walking it in gear and running.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #23 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

it could have been when i was about 11 and my fresh barn find XL 250 rear brake decided to not let go at about 60 on the field road... my buddy caught up with me about 45 seconds later as i was picking sod out of my helmet...
or maybe when i nearly looped my niner and found out i CAN run 35 mph, but only until i let go of the bars with one hand...
or when i mouse trapped in the parking lot and hit so hard i broke the gauge mount with my chin-bar on my helmet, simultaniously sliding right foot off peg and STRAIGHT into the ground, breaking a knee, flailing off the back like a ragdoll and hitting the whiskey throttle, launching me toward the CURB at the edge of the lot. This sent me skyward, but having learned to not let go, i flailed some more, dented my tank with my little guy, and coasted over the next 2 curbs and into the ditch... I turned around, rode back into the parking lot, and all my friends were over already, in front of everyone, i tried to get off my bike, but as i tried to pivot on my right leg, my foot didn't turn, the knee did. THEN it decided it wanted to bend, while still 90 degrees out of alignment, which sent me to the ground rather quickly... angered that i had broken her, my niner did some sort of WWF elbow drop onto my other leg... possibly due to the fact it had 2 flat tires, and was not very well balanced on the kickstand...
or 2 weeks later, going around a corner after a stop sign, maybe 5-8 mph, and my new front tire (or the poo spilling out of the truck in front of me) decided to be slippery enough to make my bike mysteriously disappear from under me. Dislocated my left shoulder, separated my a/c joint, smashed my LEFT knee into the ground, and became severly frustrated with myself.
Is that enough to consider myself a semi-pro? Doh...

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #24 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Here's another dumb thing that happened a couple weeks ago. This one wasn't really a spill, but I felt like an idiot.

I finished putting new tires on the 919 at a friends house and was ready to load it in the truck. I for got my loading board so he searched for one. He found a 2x10 but it had a point on one end instead of being blunt. We used a 2x4 to prop up the cut end and since it was a short board, I got all but 5 or 6 inches into the truck and lost my balance, throttled hard, and let out on the clutch. The board shot out the back, the rear tire sat on the bumper then rolled back so the end of the header was resting on the back of the bed. with the rear wheel slowly spinning.

Let's say I'm not going to do that again. I'll grunt and muscle it up next time instead of walking it in gear and running.
I just got a new ramp, and it came with a strap to tie to my reciever hitch it's AMAZING! made me wonder, why didn't i invest in one of those way sooner?

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #25 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I was traveling long distance on my '84 Honda V65 Sabre. I'd put down about 8 hours in the saddle already that day (4 more hours to go) and pulled into a restaurant for the pause that refreshes & a bite to eat.

It was one of those restaurants where half the folks inside are sitting at tables that border windows on the perimeter of the building.

I pull in, forget to put my sidestand down, but do the ingrained lean the bike to the left while cocking the handlebars to the right. Me and the bike do a nice slow mo tip over. I knew I made a good impression, because about 5 or 6tables of diners stopped chewing, pointed out the window, etc. Now that I was the center of attention, they got to watch as I uprighted my fully laden 600lb motorcycle.

Aye carumba!

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
post #26 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

They say confession is good for the soul.
For those of you who missed it the first time around-
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7384
post #27 of 43 Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Discen

pulling into the school parking lot after lunch, pull straight into my parking spot, hold the clutch in, hit the cickstand down killing the bike while it's still moving, since it killed the motor i think the kickstand is down all the way, a few seconds later when i try to lean the bike over onto the kickstand i find out it wasn't all the way down and it was too late, the bike slowly leaned over 'til the stator cover hit the concrete, luckily no one saw me and all i have is a quarter sized scratch on the bottom of the stator cover(which i actually didn't even see until a month later)

I'm here for a good time, not a long time
post #28 of 43 Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
No life like low life

Most embarrassing was when I tried to sit at a stop sign for as long as I could without putting my feet down. Started to lose my balance so I dumped the clutch and tried to go like I had done so many times before, but this time I didnt give it enough gas and stalled the motor. two guys walking down the sidewalk just stared as I did an awkward sort of somersault off the side of the road. Then there was the time I was at the dirtbike track, and we had one of those carriers that slides into the reese hitch and the bike sits parallel with the tailgate. As I'm pulling into the pit, stepdad motions for me to put it away. Stupid 15 year old that I was thought he wanted me to ride it up there. So I evil kanevil right up on there and stop perfectly, all proud as could be till I realized there was nowhere to put my feet. Fell all the way down to the ground bending my bars and breaking my clutch lever. I really felt like a dumb a$$ after that.

Knees in the breeze!
post #29 of 43 Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hoseclamp, yours sounds a bit like mine. Was loading the XS650 onto a trailer. The top of the fenders were at deck height and made a convenient spot to put your foot while loading (then you could walk it up to the front). I rode it up and went past the fender. I too then realized as the bike slowly leaned to the left there was nowhere for my foot. The bike and I fell off the trailer, about 2 feet to the ground. Curlie cued clutch lever, busted rear turn signal and significant bruising were my rewards for that trick. And an ego knocked down a few notches. Heck of a feeling putting your foot out and finding nothing there!

post #30 of 43 Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I also remember trying to be cool and my shoe laces and pants cuff catching on the right side peg and slowly falling over to the parking lot much to the merryment of coworkers

post #31 of 43 Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I also remember trying to be cool and my shoe laces and pants cuff catching on the right side peg and slowly falling over to the parking lot much to the merryment of coworkers
Been there. That sudden feeling of WTF... Oh crap!! as you go over is nasty.

post #32 of 43 Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Coming home one wet rainy afternoon from a particularly crappy day on the Carrier in drydock at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and came up to a BIG intersection about a half mile from my house in VA Beach when while slowly rolling up to the white stripe in front of the stop light my front tire eased over a tar strip on the concrete and whoooooopse, lost the front wheel and the bike landed on top of me in a ditch that ran beside the road.
Embarrased that it happened during rush hour I quickly pushed up with my feet still on the pegs and my hands still on the grips, and flipped the XS650 up off of me and back onto the road, got up out of the ditch, picked the bike up, got back on, fired it up and rode off never looking around just straight ahead until I got home where I nursed my bruised body and ego with tasty Bud.
Never have made that wet tar strip error again and that was in '84- A Life Lesson Learned

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #33 of 43 Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

1) Just got done with an oil change, wash, and chain lube on the 9er and took the her off the rear stand. I leaned it over to the left just until the kickstand touched and thought I was good to let go. I turned around just in time to hear it fall. Guess it rolled forward just a little bit when I was putting it on the kickstand.

2) The wife and I just arrived in Carey, ID on the 9er to visit her family. The beginning 10 ft of the driveway was loose gravel and it was at about a 110* left angle to the street we were on. I was going about 5 mph too fast for it. Grabbed front brake and went down on the left. Tried to support the bike, luggage, and wife with the left leg. No joy. It ended up under the bike and buried in the gravel. The mother and sister in law came out to help pick it up. Had to tell them to give me five minutes before we moved it so the [email protected]@ feeling could sink in. I also remember saying, "Hi nice to make it here in one piece" to my mom.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #34 of 43 Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Bought my 9er in June last year, hadn't ridden regularly since living in Anchorage in '84 EXCEPT for these excruciating 30 seconds about 7 years ago...

One of the cool guys at work (NOT my usual crowd) was outside with his new gixxer 750 and some of the other cycle guys. "Hey Jon, you used to ride, wanna try it here in the parking lot?"
As I indicated, I hadn't ridden in a couple of decades, but didn't want to admit it in front of the crowd...figured it would come back to me like riding a bike...too slow in my U-turn, figured a quarter turn of the throttle...whoops, quarter turn on gixxer 750 was NOT like a quarter turn on an old Yammie XT 500...headed for parked cars, slammed breaks, gas tank slammed my crotch..whole world went pure hazy white, me and my friends bike (less than a day old) went straight to the ground...

Serves my friend right for letting me on that thing in the first place.

Actually, he's trying to sell it now to buy a parachute rig and I almost want to buy it and give it a home just so the guilt will go away.

post #35 of 43 Old 04-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #36 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 AM
bike n00b

My first:

Was the first "real" ride I had taken. (Everything up to this point was at sub-40 mph runs around my little suburb or tooling around in the neighborhood.) I took it out on loop 1604 around San Antonio to my parents' house for Sunday supper. My bro-in-law comes to the house on his little 600 cc honda cruiser, and he, I, my wife, and my sister all get ready to take off from my house. I move my bike forward about a foot so I can get my garage door closed. I think I'm putting it on my side stand, but apparently, it moved back when I rolled the bike forward and down it goes. It took some F-150 with it when it went down. I'm embarrassed to high hell, but no one saw it happen and only my wife is aware that it happened, after the fact.

Then we ride over to my parents' house taking it easy. While there, my father, my bro-in-law and I all take our bikes out and trade off and what not to get an idea for what they all are like. I get my bike back and realize that I need gas. My bro-in-law and I go to get some and take the long way back. As I'm about to make the right-hand turn into my parents' subdivision the @ss-clown in front of me stops. At a green light. In the middle of a protected right turn... I stop, put both feet down. Left foot finds purchase. Right foot (which I'm expecting to bear pretty much all the weight since I was leaned in that direction when I stopped) finds.... nothing. The ground I "thought" my foot was going to be resting on has been washed away by years of rain. So down I go again. To the right this time. So that day I went down twice, one on each side, both at zero mph. I was P****D.

I was in the "have already gone down" portion of the motorcycling public, and for good measure I did it twice. I fumed the whole way home until I got a wave from an oncoming biker... My wife even said I stopped riding like I was PO'd and afraid after that wave.

Who knew?

I didn't get hurt, and my bike only got a couple tiny cosmetic scratches on either side, down low. (I can't see them unless I look for them.) I got lucky. And have kept the rubber side down since.

post #37 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Picture a bruised old 20” bike with long handlebars, and a little 10” tire on the front.

Instead of a crank bearing journal, it's been replaced by a steel plate holding a 5hp engine. The drive train consists of a centrifical clutch with a 12 tooth sprocket, a long chain led to a custom rear sprocket. It was fabricated by welding 2 bicycle crank sprockets, sandwiched together, to normal bicycle rear sprocket.

The 14 year old boy on a beautiful summer afternoon couldn't wait to try out the new speedster chopper. Needing something to control the carburetor, he mounted a paddle type throttle control, from some long forgotten lawnmower, onto the handlebars close to the steering stem. A nice twist throttle grip would be nice, but that would have to wait till later.

Instinctively he knew, trying out his new speed machine would not see it's full potential on the usual dirt trails around the edges of the surrounding fields he spent the last 2 years putting around on his minibike.

Heading out to the road the centrifical clutch quickly swelled with the heat of slowly matching speed with the spinning counterweights. The seemly wisdom of trying out the beast on the childhood equivalent of Bonneville had an evil twin; the occasional CAR that would pass our house typically doing 50mph or more.

At half throttle, the contraption almost miraculously seemed to handle OK. Those big monster handlebars seemed to have plenty of leverage to muscle the tiny front tire down the road a few hundred feet, although powering down to do a U-turn was a little tricky. Holding that little front tire proved to be a little tougher than his over anxious ego was willing to admit.

So on the return trip it was full steam ahead.

In spite of the clutch being glazed like fine china and slipping against the meager wind pressure from the less than break neck speed the beast was producing, powering down for entry into the driveway proved to be the highlight of the short but memorable trip.

As he tensed his arm and clenched his left grip to 'manhandle' the beast,... as he reached down intending to slap the throttle closed,... the unlikely fellow, geometry, (of whom it was said in school “You'll never use it!”) arose like a like a nut shell shard in a pecan pie to proclaim “I'VE GOT YOU NOW!”.

I did a high-side right in the middle of the road. Luckily no cars in sight, probably doing less than 20mph. I limped the contraption into the driveway with a red palm and a bruise.

I was just glad my Mom didn't see me, but definitely my most personally embarrassing spill.
It's a warm summer day, 1970.

post #38 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
speed limits?

i thought i was going to be cool four years ago when there was 10 inches of snow on the ground and slide my dirtbike around the tree in my parents front yard.... started in on the slide to the left and completely dumped the bike which slid into the split rail fence that they have and knocked the rails out.... and to top it off, it was their front yard soall the neighbors saw it.

and my best performance was on a 400ex in my buddy's backyard. we were filming each other riding wheelies across the back yard and it came to my turn. trying to one-up my friend since it was his quad, i stand on the grab bar in the back and pull the quad up into a good wheelie...didn't have a way of hitting the rear brake and the quad came up too far and booted my feet off of the grab bar and i fell off the back of it. then adding insult to injury (more insult than injury...badly bruised ego) the quad continued across the back yard and ran into the Gazebo Swing that they had and knocked if off of its foundation.

post #39 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Moe View Post
Picture a bruised old 20” bike with long handlebars, and a little 10” tire on the front.

I was just glad my Mom didn't see me, but definitely my most personally embarrassing spill.
It's a warm summer day, 1970.
now that was a truly great story... you have the gift of painting pictures with words...lol....

post #40 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Who's Tirone?

Well I got another one for the boards... haha.
A few saturdays ago it was absolutely beautiful here... sunny pushing 60's. I was at the garage puttering around, A couple of the younger guys were working on one of their cars.

One of them asked how fast the Rupp minibike in the corner was... had to show him right? So I fire it up and rip outta the shop with it, up the road once, down the road once. One the second trip past the garage I decide maybe I should pull it in before I get in trouble... oops took to long to think and the shop is coming up quick so I hit the brakes... or brake as it may be (only has rear drum brakes on it). Well needless to say those things don't stop on a dime and there was no such thing as ABS on one haha. Back wheel locked up just as I overshot the garage, and with everyone watching from inside I fishtailed to the left, and then the right, and then before dumping it I somehow got the idea to put my feet down, wound up lifting the rupp (only 100lbs wet) right off the ground as I tried to catch my balance/lope/stumble down the road holding it. Keep in mind I was probably doing 25-30 as I locked up the brakes. You can only imagine the "OH SH#T" look I had on my face as I pulled this little stunt with everyone watching haha.

As I finally was able to slow down and catch my balance the bike wound up stalling and I rolled it inside back to the corner in embarassment haha. At least I managed to not drop myself or the bike...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode