Masterlink Help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
No life like low life

Masterlink Help

OK because of my recent encounter with a sweatshirt I replaced my chain and sprockets yesterday. I decided that I would go with a rivet style masterlink since most people on here recommend it. Ive never had a rivet style masterlink before, and dont really know what I am doing. I ordered a rivet link tool, but couldnt wait for it, so I made one at work last night. Brought it home and it worked..... a little to well. It seems I got a little zealous when tightening the bolt and broke some of the rivet off. My first question is will it be OK the way it is or should I take it off and try to install another one. My second question is the one that didnt break, is that compressed to far. Do I need to try to flatten the end to put pressure on the face of the link, or just mush it out enough that the face plate cant come off. The more I smash it the thinner and weaker it becomes, but if I just mush the end a little that allows the plate room to potentially move in and out.
Sooooo... should I put another masterlink on, and if so how far do I peen it over
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Masterlink first.jpg (104.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg second.jpg (141.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Masterlink third.jpg (114.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Masterlink fourth.jpg (98.2 KB, 7 views)

Knees in the breeze!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

If nothing else - for piece of mind I would replace that link. With the wheel all the way forward check the master link, it should not bind when pushed up and down with your fingers.

Just curious, how did you make the rivet tool? Any pics?

post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

yeah, i didn't look at the pics...replace it, no worries

you can get close enough w/ a ballpeen hammer but the tool makes it easier

binding comes from over compression which is why i would stay away from some of the chain tools(motion pro), i think it's rk's or did's that has a stop in it...forget now

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
No life like low life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Just curious, how did you make the rivet tool? Any pics?
Just a block of mild steel with 1 1/8" slot through it 7/8 deep. Then a tapped hole. The tips of the bolts were flame hardened so that they would not mush. One bolt has a tapered end to start the spreading, the other is just barley rounded to help keep it centered. I used that one second to finish the smashing process.
So on the next one you think I should not smash it as much? The masterlink is not bound, but I am concerned about the 'structural integrity' of the peened ends being smashed to much and spread to thin. Anybody have pics of their masterlink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Masterlink tool 001.jpg (117.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Masterlink tool 002.jpg (147.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Masterlink tool 003.jpg (110.3 KB, 6 views)

Knees in the breeze!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I would replace that thing. It takes very little spread to hold the thing together. Yours is certainly beyond the limit and has pieces missing.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Replace

A little peace of mind goes a long way, towards doing
100s of blissful miles.

[
post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
No life like low life

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
A little peace of mind goes a long way, towards doing
100s of blissful miles.
Thats what I want. I put a lot of miles on every year. I was more than happy with my clip style but you guy got me worrying. I just want to be sure that when I put the rivet style on it is just right. Since Ive never done it and never really looked at anyone elses I'm not sure what the end result should look like. I dont want to peen it over to much, but I also want to make sure it wont work itself off. Almost everyone I know has a belt drive, shaft drive, or a clip style so I have nothing to gauge it off of. When I go to the bike shop to pick up my ordered chain tool I will ask/look how others are. On certain things I am a perfectionist (others things I just dont care) and I want to make sure my chain is solid and not have to think about it until it needs replaced. Im weird about some things.

Knees in the breeze!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The 919's Service manual includes specs on how large a diameter the rivet should mushroom. Take your time and measure the diameter with a vernier caliper as you go. If you cannot find the spec for the chain you purchased, try the manufacturer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode