Keep your saddlebags closed! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
No life like low life

Keep your saddlebags closed!

So yesterday me and a guy from work took off riding, and ended up around the lake. We stopped on the old bay bridge that has been shut down and is now just a fishing pier. It was warming up so I took my sweatshirt off and put it in my saddlebag. We had a smoke and talked a little then took off again. About a mile down the road I heard a loud thumping noise and felt the back end of the bike hopping around. In an instant I looked back and saw pieces of debris flying off my bike onto the road. I thought I had blown a rear tire, so I was hard on the front brakes and pulled over. Climbed off the bike and to my surprise the tire was just fine, but there was my gray hooded sweatshirt wrapped up on the wheel, chain, and sprocket! I put the bike on the center stand and tried to unwrap it, but it was way to tight, so I took my pocket knife and just started cutting little pieces off until it finally loosened up enough to unwind. After I got it out everything seemed OK so I was able to ride home no problem. It did stretch my chain out a lot, as I had just adjusted it about a week ago and it was really loose. I think the chain is shot, I think the O-rings were damaged, but I cant really tell by looking at them. Last night I gave the chain the old Kerosene bath and lubed it up but the links are still kinked. I am going to order a new chain and sprockets today, but the old ones will work for now at least. I guess I am pretty fortunate because it could have been a lot worse. At 60 mph if that back tire had locked up I would have been in a world of s***. The lesson here is to make sure your saddlebags are closed up before taking off! I am really pissed that I let this happen, but at least it wasnt worse than it was. Now Im off to order a new chain and sprockets. This will give me a good excuse to try some different gearing anyway.

Knees in the breeze!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Gots to be careful about stuff like that, a buddy of mine woke up in an ambulance after his rain suit got tangled up in his chain on the 580 freeway.
He had the pleasure of spending the next year and a half in a halo with screws in his skull.
He was MUCH easier to sneak up on for that year and a half.
Glad to hear you suffered no ill effects.

Dan

post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks for posting this hoseclamp and glad you came out of it OK.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I help a guy untangle his work clothes from his Chain and sprocket.He had it rolled and strapped to his rear fender(cruiser).One of the sleeves come out of the roll after the chain got it and the rest of the roll it locked up his tire He was doing 70ish.I seen the skid marks before I saw Him (such is 65S at this point).

When we got done I gave him a Bungee net to get home with.He said He was going straight to the shop and getting saddle bags(I use them) He said their ugly but Now he doesn't care

post #5 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Glad your good.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 11:50 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Don't forget to replace your hoodie. Glad you were able to stop yourself and not the bike for you.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #7 of 10 Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

You dodged a bullet and lived to tell the tale.

Whew!

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Wow, that could have been really bad, glad it was only a wasted hoodie and loose chain!

post #9 of 10 Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

You were really lucky. I have a friend that had his bungied backpack come loose and caught up in the rear wheel. He wasn't so lucky. Thanks for the heads-up.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2008, 02:32 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

The crew at Rider Magazine was roadtesting sport bags a few years ago. They strapped one set down wrong and it flopped over in the wheel. I believe they skint up a new bike in the process.

[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode