Is the radiator required??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Question Is the radiator required???

I am doing the CBR 900RR exhaust swap on my 919. Can I run it without the radiator all hooked up just to make sure it doesn't have any leaks coming from the head/headers? Right now there are exhaust leaks all over the place so I went and bought new gaskets today, and have the pipe to can gasket coming in the mail. I don't wanna have to keep taking the radiator off and on.

And for some reason there was a ticking sound coming from the left side of the motor. Did I break something? Maybe just valve noise from one of the incompletely sealed header pipes.

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

The ticking sound is generally a sign of an exhaust leak. It will sound similar like a bad valve.
Post some pictures!

post #3 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Simpson is right, Exhaust leak sounds like that. Running it for a short time wont overheat it, you just run the risk of damaging the water pump more than anything.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

post #4 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Thanks for the input. So could I just disable the water pump somehow? Fuse, wire, or something else to unplug?

2 > 4
post #5 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Boy I would not run it very long at all. I would be afraid of hot spots in the heads. If you can disable the water pump, and maybe cap off the radiator hoses, or attach them to each other and leave the pump alone,and fill the system, maybe. Anyway, I personally would not want to run more than a few seconds without water in the jacket.

post #6 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

So then I will just fill it up with water, seeing that it needs to be flushed anyways. Then when I finish, I'll clean it with distilled water, then finally the ProHonda ethylene glycol coolant I bought today. It's just really a pain removing the radiator, and disconnecting the hoses.

2 > 4
post #7 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I was able to get to the bolts without completely removing the radiator. I took the mounting bolts out, unhooked it from the left side and kind of shifted it over a little. Its kind of a pain using diff extensions & socket joint thingies but doable.

if you do take the radiator off
you only need to run it for a matter of seconds (3-5) to hear a leak. the engine will not even get hot in that amount of time. I had to remove my cbr pipe recently to repair a cracked mount tab underneath, didn't quite have the headpipes seated fully on reinstall, heard the leak with just a 3 sec engine run, loostened em, retightened em, good to go.
don't sweat it.

post #8 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ok, header is not leaking. Got it all put together minus the gasket for the header to pipe joint. Took it for a ride. I put some coolant in it, but it would only take just under a pint. Supposed to take 3.8 quarts. It's overheating so I'm letting the fan run. How do I get it to take the fluid into the system?

2 > 4
post #9 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 PM

The fill is under the tank, not under the seat. I didn't realize this until after some checking on the forum. I filled the reservoir, not the radiator...DOH!

I'm assuming you did the same thing?

post #10 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Sixty-9er

From the service manual:

Fill radiator through filler neck

Remove radiator reserve tank cap and fill to upper line.

Bleed air as follows:
1. Shift into neutral and start, let idle for 2-3mins
2. Snap throttle 3-4 times to bleed air from system
3. Stop engine and fill to upper level and reinstall radiator cap
4. Fill reserve and replace cap

Sounds like you leave the Rad cap off and the air escapes the Rad when cycled through. I'd preform this a few times till you don't have to add any coolant.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #11 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
So then I will just fill it up with water, seeing that it needs to be flushed anyways. Then when I finish, I'll clean it with distilled water, then finally the ProHonda ethylene glycol coolant I bought today. It's just really a pain removing the radiator, and disconnecting the hoses.
Just think about the pains involved with major engine repairs - Better safe than sorry - PLus every time you take it on and off, you will get faster !

post #12 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Thanks for all the advice. I have it all fixed up and everything minus the gasket to the Scorpion pipe. It is leaking exhaust all around it, but at least the header isn't leaking at the cylinder head anymore. It is not nearly as loud as the bafflectomized stockers, and it has a wayyy better tone now. It does feel like there is more back pressure though, comparitively to the virgin stock exhaust (without the bafflectomy). The power band seems to start somewhere above 6k instead of the 4700. Not as torquey, but when I ream it out in first the front tire gets light at around 7500-8k, and I have the 17t front and 43t rear. It used to come up earlier. When I do my wheelies it takes a little more, but when the RPM's are higher it feels like it has a little more power, so the gas is touchy, and almost wants to flip me over if I'm not careful. Gonna take some getting used to. Hopefully the trade off for torque gives a little more hp.

When I get the gasket in the mail later this week or next I'm hoping to feel a little more power out of it. Will it hurt to ride it? Felt fine on my test rides. Is it normal to smell a little bit of a burning from the new aftermarket pipes? My guess is that it's just the packing getting broken in. After time I know it should get a little louder. I looked inside the can and I saw a few fibers sticking out a little. I'm assuming that's normal though.

Got a few more things to do to her, and a LOT of cleaning. Then the pictures will come!

2 > 4
post #13 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Did you get a used 900rr exhaust then add a Scorpion can?

post #14 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Did you get a used 900rr exhaust then add a Scorpion can?
Yeah, I got the headers from a 96 CBR 900RR on ebay for 60 plus 30 for shipping, then the brand new Scorpion can on ebay for 170 with shipping. I built a bracket to keep it from hitting the right rear set. No vibrations at all. Seems to be pretty solid. I was just kinda worried about bending the headers downward, and possibly damaging the engine case. I have been being my hooligan self and doing wheelies, endos, and stoppies. No trouble yet. I'm about to ride it 80 miles to my girlfriends parent's house. Held up on the trial runs, now time to see if I actually did a good job.

Oh yeah. A LOT LESS STINK!!! I smelled my clothes and was amazed!

2 > 4
post #15 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Between the awesome sound, lack of stink, and oldschool looks it was all win-win for me. After pic, post up a sound clip too. I'll try to get one of mine this wknd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode