Honda gearing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Honda gearing

I was reading manual from 919 I and I was surprised with recommendation they have for gear switching
20,30,40,50,60 km/h for 2-6th gears correspondingly...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Honda has something against stunting on the streets

post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

IMO, all of their manauls, for all of their bikes, suggest shifting at too low a speed.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
IMO, all of their manauls, for all of their bikes, suggest shifting at too low a speed.
This may be true, and I see why they do it, but shortshifting a CBR 600 past the first tank of gas (if that long) is a sure sign you've absolutely bought the wrong bike. The 919 loves it. Let's be real here -- top end urge is all very well and good, but when you are crawling along at 22 MPH splitting heavy traffic in a drizzle trying to get to work on time the most important things to have are a wide, controllable power band and maneuverability! If you have ever spent time in the saddle of a big single you know what I'm talking about. The 919 posesses these charactistics in spades. It flows through traffic like wind through the trees in the forest -- affected by it, but not stopped by any means. Plonk away from a light at 1500 RPM, give it a quick pinch of throttle to oops yourself past that drifting car and get it into second as soon as possible: it's good from 13 MPH to 80. When riding canyon roads at a fast pace I commonly leave it in third gear. Only. It's good for 100 MPH, and nicely controlls power when exiting hairpins.
-- So in this case pay attention to the manual: for real world use, it is right.
Rob

post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

So the manual is only really listing the lowest speeds possible for shifting, not the optimum shift speed, correct?

-Joe
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
-- So in this case pay attention to the manual: for real world use, it is right.
Rob
Huh? I think you need to reread your post and then look at the manual. 60 kms = about 37 mph. Try that in sixth gear sometime. I haven't looked at the 9er manual, but this is typical for Honda literature. Like I said before, Honda's suggested shift points are always at too low a speed IMO.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Huh? I think you need to reread your post and then look at the manual. 60 kms = about 37 mph. Try that in sixth gear sometime. I haven't looked at the 9er manual, but this is typical for Honda literature. Like I said before, Honda's suggested shift points are always at too low a speed IMO.
I'm with Jim here. Sixth is okay at 45 mph, but anything below that and you might as well get off and push.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

The low shift points in those manuals are simply a function of our litigious society.....

post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I did some more reading on 919, (since my bike is still in the dealership waiting for the front tire ). They write that the main detune from CBR was to bring power down to low gears and 4000-5000 rpm is an optimal range.. That is about rpm I keep up on my 78 cb750f in city driving which tops at 7000..

I just added 919 to my AAA motorcycle insurance and with 78 750f on it already, it got to $220 (only liability) not bad at all. Interestingly, they could not add cb900f 2002 so they quoted 2003. Also does it go as a "Supersport" or not? Insurance guy asked me that and I was not sure. The difference should be in suspension setting is it ? I know my 78' 750f has a Supersport written on it .

post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

I thought that red area on the gauge thingy was to tell you where to shift.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Looks like Nick is right, I checked the gearing spreadsheet and the correct shift points are as follows:
62, 85, 107, 125, and 139mph....j/k

post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Serge, every owners manual for every vehicle with a manual shift will give you rediculously low rpm and mph shift points. Optimal gas mileage is used as the excuse fairly often. My RX-7's manual tells me to shift at 2500 rpms, when the car doesn't even start to make any power until 4k or so. It would take me 30 seconds to hit 60mph if I shifted at 2500 rpms.

The 9'r is solid as a rock. Keep the oil changed and the air filter clean, and shift it whenever the hell you want. It's just like everything Honda.

If you're not sure, take a poll here and see how many of us have had engine failures due to running the hell out of our bikes. Not many, I promise you.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
serge, the insurance people might be looking at the wrong bike. The old CB900 had a SuperSport version, but the 919 should ONLY show up as a CB900F. Some companies manage to bugger this up and then end up giving you a quote that is hugely expensive once they realize you have a 919 and not a 20 something year old CB900.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode