Help me pick; bandit, vfr, or strom - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Help me pick; bandit, vfr, or strom

Hi all

I am a former 9ner owner who went to a cruiser a while back. Kind of regreting that decision and looking to go back to a more of a sport bike. I really only ride for commuting purposes now with the occasional weekend ride. Anyway I am looking at 3 bikes and plan on test riding all three in the next couple of days. Wanted to see if anyone here has had experience with any and if so do you have any good or bad feedback. All have low miles (under 7k)

I am looking at
2005 Honda Interceptor (red) $5900
2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200s $5500
2003 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom ($5400)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

bandit but that price is too high on all of them... you can get a new bandit for 7k....

post #3 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

If you were looking at a WeeStrom, I'd say jump on it, but I'm not a fan of the 1000cc version.

Of those three, I think the Strom will get the best mileage, the VFR is the sportiest and a very fun ride when you want it to be. I have no experience with the Bandit, but Ken loves his and f4iguy liked his as well. Best of luck on your decision.

post #4 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd say Bandit - I had a baby Bandit and was quite fond - heard nothing but good about the larger size, but once again, actual owners can opine.

post #5 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess i really need to ride each of them. One thing I don't like about the bandit is that it has a carb. I prefer FI but it is not a deal breaker. Anyone have any experience with a interceptor (02 or up). Curious on how it compares to the ride of the 919.

post #6 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

nothing wrong w/ bandit carbs

vfr reminded me of the 9r w/ Z-bars (s.machinery)

post #7 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

If you can, ride the VFR. From what I remember your upper legs will roast from the engine heat. I'm' sure Texas can be unbearably hot in the summer.

post #8 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

ok........ (i am gonna piss people off right here)... the vfr is a great handling bike.. very very good manners in the straights and the curves... the 02 and up have been dummied down like no tomorrow... it has no power in 1st gear but in 2nd and above it moves ok... it is a heavy pig.. it needs to loose about 70-100 pounds then it would improve greatly...

for the type of riding you say you are going to do it will probably be close to perfect for you..

i considered buying one when i got the 919... the ONLY reason i don't have one is that it does not have the cojones to lift the front wheel under acceleration in 1st gear.. that and when the vtec kicks in it sounds like its gonna shiiiit its pants... but it only moves slightly faster with a lot more noise...

post #9 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Of those choices it's too easy...

9er!

post #10 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

i had a 9ner and it was a great bike but looking for something w/ a little more comfort and wind protection. i am a big dude, 6'4" 225lbs, and i felt a little cramped on the 9ner.

post #11 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

interceptor

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #12 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnHornet View Post
i had a 9ner and it was a great bike but looking for something w/ a little more comfort and wind protection. i am a big dude, 6'4" 225lbs, and i felt a little cramped on the 9ner.
Those are good points. Then my next choice is the used Bandit but could also be too cramp for you, then that leaves the vstrom. The VFR ergos are too stretched for me, but maybe ok for you.

post #13 of 38 Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnHornet View Post
Hi all

2005 Honda Interceptor (red) $5900
2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200s $5500
2003 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom ($5400)

Thanks
Sometimes cost is a factor. It's not like you are going to go drastically wrong with the Honda, but you will pick up 2-3 model years for only $400-500 dollars. When I was scoping out 9ers, the difference in price, whether it was Kelley Blue Book, eBay, etc. was anywhere from $300-500 PER YEAR.

Please factor in the mileage when considering the above observation.

post #14 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 04:53 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Pricing on all those bikes is high.

You need to ride them. For you size and riding needs, I would say V-Strom.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #15 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Ride all of them. Consider horsepower versus torque and which you prefer because there is a pretty decent swing amongst these bikes. If you're so inclined, shoot the VIN's to your insurance agent to make sure there are no red flags. Also, you don't mention if any of these bikes are modified or have been down.

I like all of these bikes but lean toward the Bandit. The big V-Strom is pretty top heavy, and the VFR is heavy and lacks power in the lower powerband.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #16 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Milites Gregarius

Not to throw another bike onto your list but I was always fond of the Sprint St from Triumph. A quick scan on E-Bay brought up this bike right in your area. I would go check this out immediately. Another note, if this does interest you, make sure you see the bike and talk to the seller. He is brand new on E-Bay with no feedback. Just a side note to beware of - everything could be perfectly fine just a word of warning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...1%7C240%3A1318

(don't know if this will paste as a link or not, if not just copy and paste in the address bar)

post #17 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 AM

I owned a vfr 750 and liked it a lot, a little under powered but good all around bike. I loved the motor on my 03 bandit 1200. After re-jet and pipe it adds about 15 hp that you can really feel. More comfortable than the vfr and better 2-up and comuter. Was my 2nd fav bike. .... I would get another 9er because it handles much better and is good as a comuter with a big wind screen.

post #18 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

At 6'4" 225lbs you might want to consider a Yamaha FZ! Decent wind protection and a strong motor. Just a suggestion.

post #19 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I like all of these bikes but lean toward the Bandit. The big V-Strom is pretty top heavy, and the VFR is heavy and lacks power in the lower powerband.
I strongly agree with Ken, the only 9er replacement contender for me is the Bandit. Save up a little and find a used 1250 with FI.

post #20 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Before i bought the 9er, i was ready to plunk my loot down on the vfr when my dealer(good guy) said "ya know what, i have an 07 919 in a crate out back, give me a half hour and you can take a look at it". Now i had done a LOT of research cuz this was going to be my 2nd bike and pretty much my daily rider. The Road King to me is just not a good daily driver but great for the wife and I for longer trips. Any how i did look at a 9er but was not sure if it was for me. Needless to say about 15 minutes later i saw her and fell in love. i told my dealer i would call him after a day or so. He told me to come back the next day to ride it which i did. I parked it and signed the papers and rode it home. Forgive me for all my ranting but there just seemed to be too much negativity regarding the vfr when compared to the 9er. i also researched the bandit 1250 and the only problem i saw with that was that there is not a dealer close. if there was i very easily could be riding that instead of the 9er. But i'll tell you guys(and girls) one thing I couldn't be happier with my choice.

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #21 of 38 Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well It has been a long day but 2 dealers and 3 test rides later I am leaning heavily toward the VFR. I test rode the bandit and it was a solid bike but I wasnt all that excited about it. At the same dealer I ended up test riding a Triumph Sprint 955i (funny that you mentioned that mk919) it had a lot of power in the higher RPM ranges but felt it was lacking a little in the lower and mid, could have been because it was still pretty chilly this morning and they said the bike hasnt' been ridden in a while. The Triumph wasn't all that comfortable either but I thought it had a lot of potential.

The second dealer had the VFR. Got to tell you it seems like the best fit for me. It was defiantly the most fun I have had on a bike in a while. I didn't think it was underpowered at all. It had real good pull in all power bands, kind of reminded me of the 9ner in that way. I really liked the wind protection w/ the VFR. I was cruising a little over a hundred and it felt solid as a rock. I poped it up to 135 and it was stable but I could tell I was getting up there so I backed off. The best way to describe it is just smooth, kind of felt like a lexus on 2 wheels. Maybe I am just used to riding a cruiser but I was really impressed with the Interceptor. Haven't worked out any numbers yet but the dealer let me keep it over the weekend so I will be testing her out a little more over the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the input.

post #22 of 38 Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM

You got my vote for the viffer. I don't know what Barton is talking about but my 04 VFR wheelies very easily!! I guess you have to know what you are doing. As for the VFR being underpowered well let's go riding we'll see how "underpowered" it really is. I've ridden a 919 and my VFR back to back and the power is very similar. The VFR is hands down way more comfortable for long distance, especially in the rain. And did I mention smooth and vibration free with a wicked V4 growl. In my opinion Honda's fit and finish is way better than the other 3 OEMs.

post #23 of 38 Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 

you will have to excuse my buddy here he comes from the vfred forum and they tend to be cranky he only thinks his bike has the same power as mine. i mean hell he thinks this is a manly bike

post #24 of 38 Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnossirb View Post
You got my vote for the viffer. I don't know what Barton is talking about but my 04 VFR wheelies very easily!! I guess you have to know what you are doing. As for the VFR being underpowered well let's go riding we'll see how "underpowered" it really is. I've ridden a 919 and my VFR back to back and the power is very similar. The VFR is hands down way more comfortable for long distance, especially in the rain. And did I mention smooth and vibration free with a wicked V4 growl. In my opinion Honda's fit and finish is way better than the other 3 OEMs.
well.... i sold and rode several vfr's.... they handle great... but if you put a full grown person on the back they won't lift the front wheel in a power wheelie... not saying you can't clutch it up... hell i have a couple of buddies that win lots of beer money wheelying goldwings........ as far as a race... i'm your huckleberry.... come on down...i enjoy a good race...

the vfr is a great bike as is the 919... but the ones i have ridden were too heavy for the power...

post #25 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 

well see barton, you must come up here to race, anybody can race a straight line in 80 degree wheather.whole different story with corners 10 below zero 0 while its snowing.

post #26 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

as if people really live in vermont.... pfft.

We all know I am a Triumph fan... and I think I would look at the new Tiger as well. (Not the same as mine)
Triples are a different beast. I am surprised you thought it was sluggish low to mid range but was OK with the VFR.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #27 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i went to vermont once.............. ya'll got like what 10-15 people living there now?? lol

i don't like the cold... thats why i moved here...
i will never live anywhere "cold" again.... when i retire we are either going to
a. dominican replublic
b. panama..

and thats a long way for a race... but for the record i know how to go around a curve also..

even in flat a$$ed florida i have no chicken strips and the feelers are ground down.. ask nesty he has followed me a couple times...lol...

post #28 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

+1 on the Triumph - Cool bike, but , Ive not ridden a 995, the 1050 is a rocket !

But, the VFR's are Ok as well -

post #29 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Iron Buffalo

Interceptor.

"Show up, shut up, and keep up." - My Grandpa
post #30 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

yes but have you done that with snow on the road. little different

post #31 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
(we don't get snow here)but I did see where someone tossed a cup of ice out their windowthe other day

post #32 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
You need to spell that out for him... being a floridian he's not to sure what this frozen white rain we speak of truly is!

post #33 of 38 Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'll be riding in VT tomorrow morning. I wonder if there is still snow?

So, did he buy any of those bikes?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #34 of 38 Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

theres still snow just dont go to far north. i rode to work yesterday and today. yesterday was 28 when i left. today was 22 all i have to say is DAMN

post #35 of 38 Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
theres still snow just dont go to far north. i rode to work yesterday and today. yesterday was 28 when i left. today was 22 all i have to say is DAMN
Ya,don't go this far north...

post #36 of 38 Old 04-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

hey that the app gap? ya wouldnt go there yet bet its full of sand

post #37 of 38 Old 04-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

nevermind i can tell that it is

post #38 of 38 Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Bandit, but there are way better deals out there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode