FZ8 Fazer: Worth a serious look? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By redline919

post #1 of 9 Old 08-29-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
FZ8 Fazer: Worth a serious look?

Hi everyone, its been a long time since i have been on here. The site looks great. Back when I had a 919 i frequented the site a lot. I sold the 9er and went through a few different bikes, most recently a BMW 700GS, searching for a bike that could do it all for me.

I found that too much is sacrificed on road as well as off road on a bike like that, so went and got a cheap KLR for my back road adventures, and will be looking to sell the GS, moving to a more street oriented bike.

Right now I am just starting to browse, but did find a mint looking 2011 FZ8 Fazer, and I am intrigued.

So here is one of those super vague questions: who has ridden one, what do you like and dislike? I do a lot of long distance touring, have you toured on the bike?

Maybe going with the cheaper FZ6 would be just as fulfilling! I have not done a ton of reading on the bike yet, but will hopefully find some time soon.

Thanks for the input guys and gals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Aquilifer

Cheap is relative now days. You can probably pick up a used fz-07 for less than either of those bikes, but it all depends on what kind of bike you are really looking for too.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #3 of 9 Old 08-31-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
The wife's brother in law just picked up an Fz-07, nice bike and ultra affordable. I am looking for something with the half faring and a little better for longer rides. I have had a few nakeds and liked them, but want to try something different. The 8s look great, but were criticized for being to expensive from what i read, but they seemed to have held there value ok.

The one i am looking at is a 2011 with full Givi luggage. The asking price is 7500. The 6s sell for considerably less, in this area anyway. Has anyone owned both?

post #4 of 9 Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 PM
Princeps Prior

I have my brother's 2012 in the garage. We have done about every bolt on mod to it for performance and comfort. It was very slow and uncomfortable off the showroom floor. After cutting a hole in the air box, filter, pc5, exhaust and gearing we got the torque curve more suitable for street romping. Before it had absolutely no! power until 6500 rpms. As for comfort the seat was terrible and both were replaced with Shad seats. Still not the greatest. Then there's the foot positioning. It just doesn't feel right and it will make you sore on long rides. I even installed fully adjustable Vortex rearsets and a Lsl handlebar kit. It did help but I still don't like it. So all in all, after adding probably 3k in aftermarket parts, it looks awesome, handles well. The brakes aren't that great even with braided lines. The new gearing makes it rev high on the highway. It's still uncomfortable on longer rides. But for romping the back roads and twisties it's great. I have put at least 6500 miles on this bike myself. Ever since I got my 919 fixed after a spill I haven't even rode it. Hope this helps.
Shmoo likes this.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM
Aquilifer

You might want to wait until the next year models hit production, Yami is going to release a FJ-07, like they did on the FJ-09. It's going to be a semi faired bike, DS oriented perhaps, but all the same ergo's as the FZ-07, probably less than 8K at the stealerships if you search around for one that isn't trying to gouge on extra charges.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
I have my brother's 2012 in the garage.
Good review. I always wondered about the FZ8's. Fat as an FZ1, with less power.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
I have my brother's 2012 in the garage. We have done about every bolt on mod to it for performance and comfort. It was very slow and uncomfortable off the showroom floor. After cutting a hole in the air box, filter, pc5, exhaust and gearing we got the torque curve more suitable for street romping. Before it had absolutely no! power until 6500 rpms. As for comfort the seat was terrible and both were replaced with Shad seats. Still not the greatest. Then there's the foot positioning. It just doesn't feel right and it will make you sore on long rides. I even installed fully adjustable Vortex rearsets and a Lsl handlebar kit. It did help but I still don't like it. So all in all, after adding probably 3k in aftermarket parts, it looks awesome, handles well. The brakes aren't that great even with braided lines. The new gearing makes it rev high on the highway. It's still uncomfortable on longer rides. But for romping the back roads and twisties it's great. I have put at least 6500 miles on this bike myself. Ever since I got my 919 fixed after a spill I haven't even rode it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed review. I do not know anybody with the bike, so its great to get some thoughts. How tall are you? noticeably less power down low than the 919? heck i miss that bike, maybe i should just be shopping for one of those! Always nice to try something new though.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
You might want to wait until the next year models hit production, Yami is going to release a FJ-07, like they did on the FJ-09. It's going to be a semi faired bike, DS oriented perhaps, but all the same ergo's as the FZ-07, probably less than 8K at the stealerships if you search around for one that isn't trying to gouge on extra charges.
I have not had a Yami since my very first bike, a 1984 Virago 500. But they have really been impressing me with the recent bikes you listed. I looked long and hard at the FJ-09 and missed the demo day due to family visitors. I bought my GS new and i don't really want to go new again to be honest, so that kind of ruled it out, but we will see, maybe i will change my mind. Its only money right. the 7 is a parallel twin i believe? I have that now, so would like to change it up to a 3 or i4.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Princeps Prior

No problem. I'm only 5' 10 my brother is about 6'. It has considerably less power down low than the 9er. It likes the higher rpms. More mid range power than anything. It's still fun. Just not out of the box. Gotta wake it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode