Coolant addition - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

Coolant addition

Well, for those of you who don't know me(), I ride a 2004 ZX10R Ninja.
I am just slightly concerned here because I just added some coolant(Engine Ice) and if memory serves me correctly, this is the 2nd time since I had the late 16,000 mile tuneup at about 20,000 miles. I just turned 40,000 on the ODO yesterday and am wondering "Whaaaaaaas-sup?"
Now, my bike is not shy of getting cranked to the redline. She is running like a screaming me-me and never dissapoints. Oil is clear. Bike accelerates without hesitation. No spots on the floor. No leaking gaskets of any sort, except perhaps a weep out of the shifter.
I would like responses from members here on your experiences with having to add juice (if any at all)
Granted that the first addition of juice may have made up for some airbubbles when I had the rad, flushed, I wonder about the missing coolant that had to get added day before yesterday.
Please have at it........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

How much did you have to add?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I'm impressed that your "Grizzley Adams" a$$ has put that many miles on that thing?! You are better man than I my friend!

Sorry, no help here. I've never kept a bike long enough or put that many miles on one. The XX is the most with 14k and I still haven't done a major service. Only oil, lines, one radiator flush, brakes and tires.

I'll go check the H-Ds and get back to you.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!

post #4 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

spend much time in stop/go traffic? My 919 frequently pukes coolant out the overflow on hot days while in the city limits...and no mine is not overfilled.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
spend much time in stop/go traffic? My 919 frequently pukes coolant out the overflow on hot days while in the city limits...and no mine is not overfilled.
First of all, sorry to check back so late. I've been busier than a three ball tomcat. Anyway, the addition was about half a quart or so, enough to bring the coolant level in the overflow up from zilch to the upper line.
I do get into hot running now and then, but not that often. I haven't noticed any on the ground ever, buth what the heck, I might be losing it on the ride only. I'm thinking of getting a compression test done first to see if one hole is puking compression into the coolant galley. Damn, the bike runs like a cheetah on crack cocaine. I've never experienced an internal coolant leak so I do not know how it affects power output. I'm stumped right now.
BTW, dave you big gigalo, I've got near 20,000 miles on the 05KLR to boot!
You need to stop flapping gums on those buisness trips and ride more. Life is too short, deeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

FOOKIN' NOBODY HAS A TOOL!

After trememdous consternation and talks with factory tool reps, I decided to get this kit from Astro Pnuematics. 7858 Pressure tester. I had to call the dude and get measurement specs on the adapters included in this kis to decide whether it was going to work on the 10R or KLR for that matter. Works perfect and Amazon had the cheapest price. $163.00 plus $10.00 three day delivery.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...O_CHECK001.jpg

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

AREA OF COOLANT VISIBILITY

This is the pump in action, 20lbs. I dropped 5lbs of pressure overnight(which given that the amount of air in the radiator to compress was about as big as a popcorn fart.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...O_CHECK003.jpg

Mathew Quigley
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

CULPRIT(HOPEFULLY THE ONLY ONE)

This hose is leaking up front, from a loose hoseclamp. I'm hopin that it is the only source. There is a slight possibility some is comming from the pump. I gotta fix this "hoser" first.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...CK_day2003.jpg

Mathew Quigley
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

WHERE'S THE CLAMP?

Ya, where's the fookin' clamp?
It is under all this crappery, and under the rubber damping mat. In other words, buried! I'm going to get the longest screwchaser I got and stab until i hit paydirt.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...CK_day2004.jpg

Mathew Quigley
post #10 of 10 Old 07-26-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Brain stolen again?

See that airbox base plate in the last photo? I stripped out the captured mounting nut in the lower left hand corner. Now it's either engineer another captured nut for it or buy another base plate for 35 bucks and wait for 5-10 buisness days. I'm so pissed right now I think I'm going to take it out on some innocent boxes bottles and unsundry targets up at the shooting spot. I am so damn mad.................

Mathew Quigley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode