check engine light - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

check engine light

I've finally decided to spend some of my overtime money on some new parts for the bike. I put a PCIII in and a slip on muffler on today, header pipe was back ordered. PCIII went well, bike started right up and everything seemed fine. Then I did the exhaust, my bike comes with this EXUP system, basically a servo controls a valve in the exhaust pipe that opens and constricts to match whats happening on the intake side as the throttle adjusts. This is no longer used with the after market exhaust so I unplugged it and removed everything completely since it all weighed a good pound or so. Fired up the bike and the check engine light is on because a circuit is broken that moniters the engine or something like according to the manual. Plugged the servo back in and the light is off, even though it no longer actually does anything. I hate having the extra uneeded parts/weight, does anyone know of a way to remove that servo unit without the check engine light coming on? Is there a way to trick the computer into thinking the circuit is complete?

I don't know much about electronics so thanks for any help you can provide.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Hi
I ran into this on my R6. For now, I have removed the cables from the servo motor and left it in place just so they are not dangling useless. Different companies sell exup bypass harnesses (including Kyle) but imo they are too expensive for what they do. It's most likely some type of resistor or resistance to ground/voltage but I haven't had time to meter it. Is this on your WR?

post #3 of 4 Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Removing the motor without setting a code may be simple or complex depending on how the control unit monitors the signal it sends to control it, and what if any feedback it receives back.

If it's strictly current draw all you need is an appropriate resistor.

If it has a position switch of some sort you need to emulate the on / off signal slightly delayed from the actuation signal -- more complex but doable.

If, however, it has a potentiometer feedback --
Quote:
gpzTurbo
Hi
I ran into this on my R6. For now, I have removed the cables from the servo motor and left it in place just so they are not dangling useless.
-- you would be well advised to chuck the cables and find an out of the way for the motor as electronically it would be dificult to duplicate. Not impossible, but difficult.

How many wires does the motor have going to it, and are there heavy and light gauge or all the same? These will give you clues to the proper way to fool the computer.

Rob

post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

there is a bypass plug available that typically sells for $65-100 depending on vendor. I'd bet a bologna sandwich it's something very simple. Since removing the cables, I kind of forgot about it until this thread popped up. My bike is so badass it won't let somthing as silly as a 15oz servo motor hold it back anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode