CB1100 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 56 Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
CB1100

So, i was looking around the Honda website right, and this pop up came on with a very motorcycle themed image (it had a road on it) and lo and behold, it was about the cost of ABS and bringing the CB1100 to the USA. Y'all should go check it out.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Le So Cal Troll

this is the page he is referring to..... VERY INTERESTING

CB1100 Customer Survey

its clearly labeled CB1100 customer survey.... looks like they r trying to see if it worth it!

EDIT- just did the survey and put in the notes i hope they bring the CB1100 as well as other naked models here to the usa! I know my dad would LOVE to ditch the heavy beast known as the VTX1800 for the CB1100.

post #3 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Pilus Posterior

Thing is if they stuck ABS on most bikes the cost would come down considerably.

Standard fitment for most cars now.

post #4 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 04:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

the CB1100 just doesn't ignite any passion for me..certainly not at the $10,000 price tag they seem to be aiming for...

here is the comment i left them.

"why market a bike that is essentially early 80's technology? I LOVE naked bikes, I currently own a 919 with upgrades, and I would much rather have a sporty naked with high-end components and a performance engine than this cb1100. Bring the CB1000R to the US! or build a new naked sportsbike!!!"

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
I'm pretty sure I'd trade the Shadow off for one. It'd be a nice stablemate for the CB750.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #6 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I would consider this as a second bike... My wife would prefer a cruiser to the Speed Triple and this definitely fits the bill.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #7 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

I did the survey and told them I like the naked-look however it should be more sportier like the 919.

post #8 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Tirone

a-men... only 80 hp? dont get me wrong its cool in a retro way, but honda needs something to compete with the speed triples and yamaha fz1!!!!!!!!!

post #9 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Thanks for the link. I just did the survey too. I also said I liked it but would prefer a more modern naked to come to America in addition to the CB1100.

post #10 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Optio

I also mentioned the low horsepower to weight ratio compared to the 919. I also mentioned the CB1000R. Do we all think alike here?

post #11 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Le So Cal Troll

you guys realize the CB1100 is not ment to compete with the like of a speed triple or even the 919. Its a retro remake, but fuel inject but air cooled.

I personally love the look of the CB1100 in the pics in that survey and would love to have one at around a 9k price tag.

post #12 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I just can't see how anyone who has owned a 919 would have any interest in owning a 500lb+ standard bike with only 87 horsepower. What the heck? Just go out and buy some old standard!

post #13 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The similarity of everyone's comments is hilarious!

Right...the CB1100 is more competitive with say, the Triumph Bonneville than the Speed Triple. The thing is, the Bonnie is an EXCELLENT retro bike with major fonzie-cool factor involved, and the original bonnie was crying out for an update and a new production run. Triumph had a ready made market...but it was a market that was ready for an excellent bike at a decent price. it's not about HP or available torque at all. The CB1100 seems to me to be just another typical Honda re-hash. it has no cool & spiffy components that make my mouth water at all, ....Oooh, it has FUEL INJECTION! Knock my socks off Honda! and I've HAD old Hondas before, and there are reasons I didn't hold onto them! At $10,000 bucks the CB1100 is overpriced by about 3-4 grand imho...If I had a hankering for an old school Honda I'd go with a late 70's CB750 like some others here have done, and either mod the everliving shit out of it or restore it. If I had 10,000-$15,000 to spend and wanted something special I'd probably buy a rebuilt Norton Commando. If Honda seriously wants into the retro market, they need to build a bike like the NEW Norton Commando.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #14 of 56 Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yeah ! Honda should just stick to making cars and lawnmowers. I mean, who the heck do they think they are ? Aprillia ?

post #15 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00p929 View Post
a-men... only 80 hp? dont get me wrong its cool in a retro way, but honda needs something to compete with the speed triples and yamaha fz1!!!!!!!!!
You funny wee fella - they have been building one for 2 years - The CB1000r. Pop over to New Zealand and buy one

Seriously the USA bike market is littered with bikes people said they wanted then never purchased them. So it's cruiser and sport bike city for you guys.

Presumably if enough of you wandered into your Honda dealer and slapped down a $500 dollar deposit they would bloody well bring them in. A shame, as it is a fine bike (just too expensive for my pocket). Just needs a rowdy pipe on it!

post #16 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Optio

Not to get too far off track, but I really dig those retro Ducatis, even though the price is ridiculous. And whatever happened to that retro Kawasaki (which I can't recall the name of)? How long was it even around . . . a year, two years? People seem to love the look of retro bikes, but either the price tag is ridiculous or the performance/weight are out of whack with today's market.

post #17 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
CG

I just took the survey. I told them I would never buy a new air-cooled motorcycle. I like the retro styling but it should have been liquid-cooled and I prefer a cafe style rear fender like mid-70's.

I would consider paying more if it was liquid-cooled. Given that it's air-cooled, I'm not the least bit interested. If they can make the Fury with liquid cooling, they can make a CB1100 with liquid cooling.

post #18 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Tirone

That bike is aimed at those guys who want something retro but really aren't into bikes. If they import it here, in most cases that bike would be nothing more than driveway jewelry in some executive's garage.

Someone who knows bikes would just go out and pay $3k/$4k for a pristine 80's machine -- buy the real thing.

post #19 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
And whatever happened to that retro Kawasaki (which I can't recall the name of)? How long was it even around . . . a year, two years?
Is this the one you're talking about? ZRX1200.

2005 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 R specifications and pictures

Kawasaki ZRX1200R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 21499_0_1_2_zrx%201200%20r_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpeg (33.4 KB, 3 views)

post #20 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM
just ride it...

If honda will bring the cb1100f to the state, and price it about 9k, it will probably sell. It actually appeals to the old, dare I say it, middle aged crowd that wants to get back into riding that is looking for a no frills, basic UJM like the one they had in the 70's. Even my dad has said, if this bike had been out a few years ago, it would be in his garage instead of his Goldwing.

post #21 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
Someone who knows bikes would just go out and pay $3k/$4k for a pristine 80's machine -- buy the real thing.
With all respect - RUBBISH!

Anyone who knows bikes is aware that the early 80's 'naked' bikes of this style are ill handling bits of history compared to a modern bike. Seriously if all you want to do is toodle in a straight line down to the bar and back that bit of history will be fine, but if you want to get around a decent set of corners in a hurry expect to spend a lot of $ on frame and suspension modifications! 1986 - GSXR750 was the start of the 'modern' bikes, everything else is tinted by fuzzy memory.

That new 1100 Honda reminds me a lot of the GSX1400 retro Suzuki we had availoable for about 4 years recently in NZ - only 95 or so HP but it has a load of grunt and is a proven performer. Many a wizz band sport bike rider has had a surprise when passed by one!

post #22 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Discen

I love the looks, but wouldn't pay 10+ for a bike more compatible with a 8k Bonneville; even the new Norton Commando 961 is less than 100 hp... I'm loving my 919 more every minute.

post #23 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 05:37 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I tried to complete the survey, it locked up or something, I never got confirmation...

post #24 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
?Tirone?

i completed the survey, said why would i buy a bike w/ out inverted from forks, dated styling, and no adjustable levers but w/ abs? i mentioned the CB1000r as well.

But if this is true...
"Presumably if enough of you wandered into your Honda dealer and slapped down a $500 dollar deposit they would bloody well bring them in. A shame, as it is a fine bike (just too expensive for my pocket). Just needs a rowdy pipe on it! "

then i will call my local stealership on Monday of this coming week. Do these requests made thru a dealership actually reach the Honda mothership? Anyone really know the answer? I'll go for it on Monday, anyone else can too.

post #25 of 56 Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Sure, it might not have 100+ horsepower like a 919, but that probably isn't why you'd buy one in the first place. I mean my 750 Shadow makes like 40hp and it'll cruise 75, which is about all the faster i think I'd want to go anyway. I think that Honda, and every other manufacturer for that matter, should make their product lines worldwide. We should be able to buy the CB1000R, CB1100F, new Super Cub or any other bike there is. Yamaha FZ8, Super Tenere... anything you want. Maybe in a perfect world.

post #26 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 AM
Pilus Posterior

What - are you not getting the FZ8 either?

About to arrive here next month, naked first.

It so reads like the 919 it is a bit scary: 106 hp, 82 nm torque, 211 kg (WET) etc etc.

Very well reviewed by Alan Cathcart. Looks the biz too.

I was recently told that one of the reasons we get pretty much everything in New Zealand is that our regulations mirror the Japanese ones so if they get it we can too!

Which still makes me wonder - If a maker can sell X bike in little old New Zealand with a total population of 4.4 million, how the heck can it be uneconomical to sell in the USA with a zillion people?

post #27 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
What - are you not getting the FZ8 either?

About to arrive here next month, naked first.

It so reads like the 919 it is a bit scary: 106 hp, 82 nm torque, 211 kg (WET) etc etc.

Very well reviewed by Alan Cathcart. Looks the biz too.

I was recently told that one of the reasons we get pretty much everything in New Zealand is that our regulations mirror the Japanese ones so if they get it we can too!

Which still makes me wonder - If a maker can sell X bike in little old New Zealand with a total population of 4.4 million, how the heck can it be uneconomical to sell in the USA with a zillion people?
you and me both... we have more population in LA county here in southern california... than you do in your entire country! I really think its emission restrictions as well as other restrictions on hp.

post #28 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

What's the deal here? Finish the questionnaire THEN see the bike?

post #29 of 56 Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
With all respect - RUBBISH!

Anyone who knows bikes is aware that the early 80's 'naked' bikes of this style are ill handling bits of history compared to a modern bike. Seriously if all you want to do is toodle in a straight line down to the bar and back that bit of history will be fine, but if you want to get around a decent set of corners in a hurry expect to spend a lot of $ on frame and suspension modifications! 1986 - GSXR750 was the start of the 'modern' bikes, everything else is tinted by fuzzy memory.

That new 1100 Honda reminds me a lot of the GSX1400 retro Suzuki we had available for about 4 years recently in NZ - only 95 or so HP but it has a load of grunt and is a proven performer. Many a wizz band sport bike rider has had a surprise when passed by one!
Allan, I think some of the comments here reflect the fact that maybe some of us are just growing a bit tired of Honda's "Lets see what we can conjure up out the old parts bin and put a ridiculous price tag on it. Again". I never say never, but I struggle to see how my next bike is going to be a (new) Honda due to this and a few other factors.
It will most probably have a frame as rigid as a bowl of jelly and the usual spongy generic suspension and brakes. I can't believe it’s the same mirrors that come out stock with the 919. It could have been soo much more, see the Ducati GT1000.

The difference between the Ducati's, Moto Guzzi's and the Honda (not too sure about the Triumph Bonneville) is that the Honda is sadly not a retro, but a replica, as far as I can see, in looks and technology. Replica's are purely turning the clock back 20, 30 or more years and switching on an old production line producing the same or damn near to now obsolete technology. (Ok, they will be using contemporary generic crap suspension)

Look at the Guzzi's and the Duc, that's retro. A blend of Old School styling with a modern components. So the best of both worlds. You have classy styling and configuration with modern technology, such as good USD suspension, frame, brakes, etc. etc. The Italians know a thing or two about styling and building a BIKE , be it modern or retro. Just look at the Ducati's, Aprilia's, MV's(drool) and Guzzi's. Honda should take a leaf out of their book more often (apparently the CB1000R is Italian styled).

Just on the CB1000R, as its been mentioned here in a few posts. This bike would have been in my garage ages ago, had the price tag been more realistic, like NZ$16K. I refuse to pay the NZ$20K list price for this bike (sure, you can hunt around for dealer specials or demo's, but even this obviously reflects the RRP)
The CB1R is already in its second year, and it's still NZ$1000 (list price) more than the newly released Z1000 and is basically old technology in new packaging. They didn't even bother to throw something as basic as a gear indicator on the bike (same thing on the CBR). The new Z1000 has linked rear suspension, more horses and torque than the CB1R, a brand new engine specifically built for it, being a start. How did a relatively smaller division of Kawasaki manage to do R&D on a brand new engine and frame, etc. etc. and still manage to put it on the showroom floor $1K cheaper than the giant that is Honda?!

Another, although not comparing apples with apples, comparison with the CB1R: I saw a brand new GSXR1000 on special for NZ$19K this weekend (saw the 750’s at about NZ$16K). You can’t even begin to compare technology and performance between the two. Very telling at how ridiculous and out of touch Honda’s pricing has become.

In a nut shell, the Japs (more so Honda) are becoming overpriced, under spec'd (decked out in mass production bits and pieces and skimping on toys or gadgets) and the Euro's are becoming more and more reliable, decked out in top gear and relatively more affordable (closing the gap with the Japs), and Euro styling is the best, IMO.

post #30 of 56 Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Honda is loosing touch with the American market in their motorcycles as well as their cars. I would pay maybe $6K for a brand new one . . . if that. I said $8K when I thought it was liquid cooled and ABS. But then I told them I should never have to pay extra for something that could save my life (ABS). I also told them 87hp is a joke from an 1100, whether it is a retro or not.

I also asked when they were going to bring the CB1000R to the US market. AllanB is right though, we all tend to say we would buy something and when we are faced with the actual prospect of buying it we tend to shy away. The USD is starting to close the gap on the Euro during this recession so it might be profitable for them to bring it over in a year or so, but would you really go down to the dealership and buy one as soon as they had it? I know I probably wouldn’t, and I would LOVE to own one. But I would let someone else buy it first let them take the depreciation hit, make the payments and buy it used with cash when they get tired of it, or in a divorce situation like I did my 919. That’s not to say I would stop by the dealership every day and drool over it. If I wanted to buy brand new I would go $11 - 12K max.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #31 of 56 Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Honda is loosing touch with the American market in their motorcycles as well as their cars.
Not really. I think most people here want either a Cruiser or a sportbike. There's no room in the middle for fanatics like us who are mostly purists. We're not squids who want to pretend (on the street anyway) that we're Valentino Rossi and we're not in our 50's wanting to pretend we're Captain America or Billy. I don't think there's enough of us who think alike to influence product lines or profits to any degree. The cost of importing, making English decals, gauges, passing emissions will be things that keep bikes like the CB1000R out of our dealerships. I guess to me, this little questionnaire is a way that all of us can directly impact what Honda does. Kinda like voting, but a lot more fun.

post #32 of 56 Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Milites Gregarius

I'd buy the cb1000r in a heartbeat if it was in the US. The bike they have in the survey looks way too old. Very dated. Reminds me of an old CB450 or a CM400. Slightly different tank....boring. Also, a single disc in the front isnt going to cut it if they want to be competitive in the US.

I think the CB919 (hornet) was a very good attempt of reviving the standards/UJM style. Almost got it perfect. I know i'm going to get blasted for saying this...but. If the CB919 had better acceleration (faster than a 600cc rocket) it would have been a better improvement. Also, adding a tooth to the front sprocket and removing some from the rear would have helped.

I dont mind the wind, however the vibrations in the bike/handlebars get old fast. I'd LOVE to see more standards in the US. Seems everything is a rocket or a cruiser.

post #33 of 56 Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Milites Gregarius

I am short at 5' 6". Cant fully flat foot the 919, but pretty close. Not sure how the seat would be on a cb1100. Probably would have a wider seat...

CB1000r is tall but appears to narrow enough by the tank. Either way, we need the cb1000r here. The most similar bike in the US is the kawasaki z1000.

post #34 of 56 Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post
I am short at 5' 6". Cant fully flat foot the 919, but pretty close. Not sure how the seat would be on a cb1100. Probably would have a wider seat...

CB1000r is tall but appears to narrow enough by the tank. Either way, we need the cb1000r here. The most similar bike in the US is the kawasaki z1000.
I think the Cb1R is lower from memory. Its a hell of a fun bike, I prefered it by a narrow margin above the SD990 (test rode both back to back a while back). The 2 main complaints from most people that have ridden it (that I have spoken to or read in local forums), is the price tag for what it basically is at the end of the day (after you have removed the rose tinted glasses) and that it could have been a little more gritty or edgy.

post #35 of 56 Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Pilus Posterior

Honda's main issue with their nakeds is they dumb them dow na bit too much - I have no problem with taking a sport engine and 'retuning' it a bit for more grunt but they tend to suck the vvvroom bit out of them. The saving grace on the 919 is a bit of a kick at 6k - but it could have been a bit more ....... the 1000r is similar just more powerful. They need to stick a bit of mongrel into the engines.

Due to the 1000r being 20K in NZ and the last 919's retailing at 11k (or better as mine was) there is a huge $ gap that existing 919 owners who love their bike but want a new one are not going to bridge - there is no point as the new one is not 9k better. Throw a couple of k at the 919 suspenders and a good pilot will frighten the 1000r rider.

A shame as the new one is a darn fine bike. I'll wait until it is later in it's production life and Honda start to discount them heaps! (The 919 started at 15K over here).

post #36 of 56 Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
Not really. I think most people here want either a Cruiser or a sportbike. There's no room in the middle for fanatics like us who are mostly purists. We're not squids who want to pretend (on the street anyway) that we're Valentino Rossi and we're not in our 50's wanting to pretend we're Captain America or Billy. I don't think there's enough of us who think alike to influence product lines or profits to any degree. The cost of importing, making English decals, gauges, passing emissions will be things that keep bikes like the CB1000R out of our dealerships. I guess to me, this little questionnaire is a way that all of us can directly impact what Honda does. Kinda like voting, but a lot more fun.
I do think they have lost touch. It doesn't seem like any one on here likes this CB1100. Not for the price and the options it has. But it really looks like Honda might go ahead with this not matter what we think. They are showing you a finished product and then asking you what you think about it. They already took the time to *ahem* R&D this bike I think they are just trying to find a price point. I don't think they are going to put it up for the $6k or less that most of us said they would pay for it. I think they already know it is going to be priced at $11K or more with the ABS option attached.
I read an interview last year showcasing the CB1000R and the CEO for Honda America basically said he is begging Honda Motor Co to bring the bike to the US Market, but directly quoted the Euro to Dollar exchange rate as a major reason it might be held back. I would have to agree with him. Honda just brought the NT700V (brought over from Italy the home of the CB1000R) to the American market and either Honda thinks highly of themselves or it is just the exchange rate because when the price point is only one thousand dollars off from the BMW F800ST the ST is a better bike (Includes the options that I wanted on both bikes). I know this because when I was on the hunt for a new bike I researched these two very, very closely. Then I bought the 919 because I wanted more sport than touring band keeping the Standard look at the same time.
Your right when you say to most Americans it is all about the cruiser(Hog wannabes) or Sport bike (Rossi wannabes), but then we go to the extreme with the BMW touring crowd guys who put on 120K in one year. There is no medium in America like there is with Europe or other countries that rely on the motorcycle as a MAJOR means of transportation, there for it is harder to market to American buyers, making it harder to turn a profit on bikes that do appeal to either one of the two American rider crowds. Economics at its best. We should really try and get the younger crowds to see the Naked Bike for what it really is, a GREAT class of Motorcycles.

post #37 of 56 Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Just for S&Gs I tried the survey link, it is now closed.

post #38 of 56 Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Allons-y!

Garage
Who knows. Maybe if enough people that filled it out mentioned the CB1000R, they'll take the hint. Me, I'd take either. CB1100 or CB1000R. I love four cylinders!

post #39 of 56 Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Honda's main issue with their nakeds is they dumb them dow na bit too much - I have no problem with taking a sport engine and 'retuning' it a bit for more grunt but they tend to suck the vvvroom bit out of them. The saving grace on the 919 is a bit of a kick at 6k - but it could have been a bit more ....... the 1000r is similar just more powerful. They need to stick a bit of mongrel into the engines.
I mostly agree with what you say, except about the CB1R being more powerfull. It may be on paper, but to my seat-of-my-pants-ometer, it feels very similar riding them back to back. I think the CB1R is about 20 - 30 kg's heavier than the 919.

Quote:
Due to the 1000r being 20K in NZ and the last 919's retailing at 11k (or better as mine was) there is a huge $ gap that existing 919 owners who love their bike but want a new one are not going to bridge - there is no point as the new one is not 9k better. Throw a couple of k at the 919 suspenders and a good pilot will frighten the 1000r rider.

A shame as the new one is a darn fine bike. I'll wait until it is later in it's production life and Honda start to discount them heaps! (The 919 started at 15K over here).
This is exactly what I said in my initial report of the Cb1R in this thread:
https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...et-1000-a.html
They have missed the target audience with pricing on the CB1R. The $$ gap is just too big to justify making the jump from a 919 at this stage. You just don't get that much additional bike for the difference in money, even if you do factor in dealer margins, etc. (I see some dealers are asking very close to the last RRP for 2nd hand 919's, BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I read an interview last year showcasing the CB1000R and the CEO for Honda America basically said he is begging Honda Motor Co to bring the bike to the US Market, but directly quoted the Euro to Dollar exchange rate as a major reason it might be held back. I would have to agree with him.
I stand to be corrected, apart from the strength of the Euro, I thought labour in Italy was actually relatively cheap? (we get some very competitively priced gearboxes, etc., for our plant, that's made in Italy). Or is it simply marketing spin that something that is made in Italy, has to be expensive?

post #40 of 56 Old 06-25-2010, 04:15 AM
smileage

The 599 was also made in Italy - that is why I was told is cost so flippin' much!

The only real problem I have with Honda is they tend to engineer the engines too much - they are built to do what they are built to do. If you bump the power up much, they tend to go ka-boom, at least the older UJM's did.

And I agree with the comment the 919 could of used more power. Not at the expense of the powerband, just more of it everywhere, and if that required it being a 1100cc or larger engine, so be it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode