Can you see me now?! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Can you see me now?!

I got annoyed by tailgaters and found the wonderful enhancement of running lights, and extra modulated brake lights!

I installed the combo of Electrical Connection's turn-signal=>running & brake conversion and Kisan's brake light modulator. The pix show parts and results during braking! Install took 3hr. Let me know if you want more info.

Now if I could just flash sync the LEDs to my subwoofer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
I got annoyed by tailgaters and found the wonderful enhancement of running lights, and extra modulated brake lights!

I installed the combo of Electrical Connection's turn-signal=>running & brake conversion and Kisan's brake light modulator. The pix show parts and results during braking! Install took 3hr. Let me know if you want more info.

A little paranoid about a rear-end incident are we?

post #3 of 19 Old 03-16-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
A little paranoid about a rear-end incident are we?
Not so much rear ending, but must create rear space to allow evasive options. Most moto accidents the rider is fine after the first bounce, it is the tail gating car that does damage. Call it experience.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Tirone

If it works, go for it! I've been tailgated a few times recently. It's uncomfortable and can be slightly distracting to have to watch the cage behind you as well as what's ahead. Nice to have plenty of throttle available though, just zip away!
post #5 of 19 Old 03-16-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Here are the night shots of running lights and with braking.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post

For years, there have been circuits called color organs which can be configured to vary the intensity of a light, or bank of lights, in response to sound input. With the use of a device called a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) you could vary the flash rate to correspond to input from your subwoofer. What music would you play to prevent tailgating?
I want more information on these.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 19 Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
For years, there have been circuits called color organs which can be configured to vary the intensity of a light, or bank of lights, in response to sound input. With the use of a device called a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) you could vary the flash rate to correspond to input from your subwoofer. What music would you play to prevent tailgating?
I want more information on these.

Rob
Those VCOs would be great for home parties!
DISCLAIMER: Do not attempt a wiring install unless you have circuit experience. Doing this install incorrectly could easily short your bike's electrical system while riding and cause your Death! If unsure of your skill level please hire an expert Installer.

Attached are the requested info project pix (please pardon the focus of my lousy camera). #22 shows using steel wire to fish the lines through the turn signal brackets. I didn't use use the sealed housing, since then they wouldn't be sealed. Home wire pull lube was used on the signal's seal plug. #39 shows the wire electrical tape wrapped to the turn signal wire. A VOM determined polarity...we don't need stinking manuals! My 9r's solid green wire was consistently ground. I soldered (didn't use the flaky contact hardware) the wires and modulator close to the SOURCE plug, not to restrict the tail piece's removal line slack. I only cut one wire, the brake wire to circuit insert the modulator. The other contacts I didn't cut, ONLY carefully stripped back 1/4" of insulation #31. I flux soldered with difficult to work with higher silver content rosin core solder that is durable #33, #35. #38 shows the all the lines weather taped, heat shrink tubed and packed up. #36 shows the running light (lower output than during braking). The modulation rate decay works great!

Have fun and ride safe!

post #8 of 19 Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I just returned from a night 70ml ride sharing the road with the shamrock celebrators. We had several potential tailgaters come up behind us on the freeway. I just gave the brakes a brief touch and wallah they immediately changed lanes and went around us. The communication works!

post #9 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Tirone

And better than releasing those little spiked tire jacks like on a James Bond movie!
post #10 of 19 Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Milites Gregarius

I've been rear-ended (last fall) and I looked at this and said.. woohoo thats on a 919.. I could do that on my... oh wait.. my rear turn signals have been removed in favor of an intergrated (into brake light) set... partially so I could mount my givi hard bags... but this is very cool..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #11 of 19 Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseknight View Post
I've been rear-ended (last fall) and I looked at this and said.. woohoo thats on a 919.. I could do that on my... oh wait.. my rear turn signals have been removed in favor of an intergrated (into brake light) set... partially so I could mount my givi hard bags... but this is very cool..
Glad you like it! Thank goodness you are ok and still riding! The integrated lights are fancy, but may be confusing to a tailgater. I prefer simplistic functionality that maximizes safety. You could make some brackets to mount the OEM turn ears behind the hard packs.

Ride Safe!

post #12 of 19 Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

So I wasn't excited about the stock turn signal yellow lenses displaying the running and brake lights orange (instead of red). I found clear alternatives makes clear lenses for 9r and smoked bulbs!

post #13 of 19 Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

I installed the clear lenses. The chrome bulbs were worthless since they are LESS than half the brightness of the packaged bulb. Brakes are now red (not orange). It looks much cleaner than the stock yellow lenses. Before you toss your "lean indicators" for something less visible/safe, check these out.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

While riding through frisco today I glanced at this 35' wide ad board for the new pirates of the caribbean. Then traffic stopped, but I had plenty of room for a quick stop. Then I thought... what about the woman behind me eating her lunch. Fortunately she saw my AC-TL and gave me plenty of room!

Note to self...KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!

post #15 of 19 Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Any suggestions on godd vs. bad brands re: tailight oscillators?

post #16 of 19 Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Any suggestions on godd vs. bad brands re: tailight oscillators?
kisantech's TL modulator is the best. Their modulator is microprocessor controlled (not a simple constant rate RLC circuit like the rest) to create an exponential decay flash (initially a fast flash then it slows) while touching the brakes. When a speeding car is coming up from behind you are very vulnerable and the AC-TL commands attention.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Can't say I've seen a modulator in action, either. How does the "reset" work?
I tend to brake early, brake often.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Can't say I've seen a modulator in action, either. How does the "reset" work?
I tend to brake early, brake often.
The modulator automagically resets instantaneously when you release the brake light. So there is technique not to let it reset by continually lightly touching either lever, then after ~4s it remains lit (while touching the lever). The cycle option is loosely under your control.

post #19 of 19 Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post

Any chance you still have the pics? I'm looking at the same kit from Electrical Connections along with an LED board from Clear Alternatives (if they have one with white LED's so I can keep the OEM lense) and the modulator from Kissan. Do you have the modulator working with the EC kit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode