Bike for the wife. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Bike for the wife.

To start off with would like to get her a 9er or a 599, but the problem is she is only 5 ft tall. After going around and letting her try out different bikes the list is down to this: Honda Rebel, Buell Blast, Suzuki GS500F, and a Kawasaki Ninja 250. The bikes that fit her perfectly were the Rebel and Blast (with the low profile seat 25.5"). the GS500 and Ninja would both have to be lowered about 2-3 inches for her feet to flatly touch the ground. The rebel isn't bad she just want a sportier look for it than stock. Can;t really find anything though. I am worried about her wanting more power after a short while.

Anybody have any experience with any of these bikes? Thanks.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

get a 599 and lower it.Lowering Kits
Metisse
Lowering Kit
Hornet 600 PC34/ 36 98-0635 mmHornet 600 PC41 07-30 mmUS$175.00

post #3 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i am not sure how it works really as the shock is not a linkage shock. just like the 919 but should do something.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Gin is 5'2" tall with a short inseam. We started her off on a Suzuki GZ250, great little beginner bike, lightweight and easy to ride. Actually was the same bike they used in the MSF course.

She quickly mastered it and wanted more power, got her a Kawasaki Vulcan 500, which she still has and loves. Very low seat height, even a five footer could flat foot it, good power (same engine as the 500 Ninja) and six speeds. Actually a decent bike for a little cruiser, nice looking and I like the upright twin instead of a V-twin.

I eventually got her a 599 as well, lowered the front forks, set the rear shock to its lowest preset and had the seat lowered 1.5" by Spencer's Seat Mods. She can't flat foot it but with thick soled riding boots she can toe it effectively.

She still enjoys the Vulcan for a peaceful ride in city traffic, feels very secure and safe on it. The 599 is for riding the twisties and keeping up with me on my 919, she enjoys it less in city riding and has a hard time backing it up into or out of a parking spot.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #5 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

at 5' even it will be hard for her to flat foot pretty much anything... but with a careful combo of lower bike and lower seat she can be comfortable on quite a large number of bikes...

if i am not mistaken mystical is around her height... she rides a 919...

post #6 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Centurion

No direct experience but I think the GS-F looks like a good bike, would not mind one myself.

post #7 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I am about the same height as her. I've only owned two bikes that I could completely flat foot. One was a Honda Shadow VLX 600 and the other a Sportster 883 Low. Both have decent power for puttering around town and short highway trips but for long highway travel, I found they both feel a little strained at sustained high speeds. Not the say they aren't capable because both are, it just sounds like the bike is at its limits and doesn't leave much for passing and such.

I have a 919 and although I can't flat foot, I can reach the ground on the balls of my feet pretty good and if I wear my Ladystar Daytona boots with the built in risers I gain a good 2 inches in height. Not being able to flat foot doesn't really cause any issue except the ability to back into a parking spot if its on an incline. It just takes a little extra planning before parking. When coming to a stop the 919 is nicely balanced and light enough that with a slight shift of my rear I flat foot with one foot only, the other stays on the brake.

I tried the 599 and IMHO there wasn't much difference in the seats to me.

post #8 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I would ride the bus before I would ride a Buell Blast!

Professional
post #9 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 12:00 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'd throw the Savage into a bike to look at - enough power to no be disposable and easy to drive/learn on.

post #10 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
get a 599 and lower it.Lowering Kits
Metisse
Lowering Kit
Hornet 600 PC34/ 36 98-0635 mmHornet 600 PC41 07-30 mmUS$175.00
We were looking into this option, but she wants something she could flatfoot on both sides at least for her first bike without having to pay too much to get it lowered. I am definitely thinking about this option when she says she is ready for it. Hopefully they will have a new 599 out or some equivalent there of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Gin is 5'2" tall with a short inseam. We started her off on a Suzuki GZ250, great little beginner bike, lightweight and easy to ride. Actually was the same bike they used in the MSF course.

She quickly mastered it and wanted more power, got her a Kawasaki Vulcan 500, which she still has and loves. Very low seat height, even a five footer could flat foot it, good power (same engine as the 500 Ninja) and six speeds. Actually a decent bike for a little cruiser, nice looking and I like the upright twin instead of a V-twin.

I eventually got her a 599 as well, lowered the front forks, set the rear shock to its lowest preset and had the seat lowered 1.5" by Spencer's Seat Mods. She can't flat foot it but with thick soled riding boots she can toe it effectively.

She still enjoys the Vulcan for a peaceful ride in city traffic, feels very secure and safe on it. The 599 is for riding the twisties and keeping up with me on my 919, she enjoys it less in city riding and has a hard time backing it up into or out of a parking spot.
The Vulcan 500 doesn't look bad at all. Have to look at seat and lowering options for it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
No direct experience but I think the GS-F looks like a good bike, would not mind one myself.
Doesn't look bad at all. A few guys have them here on base. Gonna have to send the seat out to Spencers for her though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I am about the same height as her. I've only owned two bikes that I could completely flat foot. One was a Honda Shadow VLX 600 and the other a Sportster 883 Low. Both have decent power for puttering around town and short highway trips but for long highway travel, I found they both feel a little strained at sustained high speeds. Not the say they aren't capable because both are, it just sounds like the bike is at its limits and doesn't leave much for passing and such.

I have a 919 and although I can't flat foot, I can reach the ground on the balls of my feet pretty good and if I wear my Ladystar Daytona boots with the built in risers I gain a good 2 inches in height. Not being able to flat foot doesn't really cause any issue except the ability to back into a parking spot if its on an incline. It just takes a little extra planning before parking. When coming to a stop the 919 is nicely balanced and light enough that with a slight shift of my rear I flat foot with one foot only, the other stays on the brake.

I tried the 599 and IMHO there wasn't much difference in the seats to me.
Yeah, the 599 and the 9er are the exact same seat height if I remember correctly. She loves the look of the bikes, but she wants to have about a year or so experience before she gets one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
A guy in Lemoore had one and he let me take it for a spin. 2000 was the year. It sucked, but I have heard they have fixed the 08s and 09s quite a bit. I am trying to find one of the new ones to test ride still. Wish it were chain drive too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
I'd throw the Savage into a bike to look at - enough power to no be disposable and easy to drive/learn on.
Looks like the Rebel a bit. Would have to look around for one. Thanks.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

post #11 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
+1

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #12 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
yep... at least on the bus you can hide below view...

post #13 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 AM

IIRC Honda's F4i has a 31" seat. Grab a lowering kit and drop it a few more inches and she should be good to go.

There's a pink one for sale here in St. Louis...

post #14 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
The Vulcan 500 doesn't look bad at all. Have to look at seat and lowering options for it. Thanks.

Honestly unless her inseam is very short I don't think you'd have to lower the Vulcan 500, at 5'2" Gin sits on it comfortably flat footed with room to spare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vulcan.jpg (395.0 KB, 17 views)

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #15 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Sheepdog

I knew a guy who got a bike for his wife, he thought it was a great trade!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #16 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Check this link out.

This is the short bike list for beginners. It lists bikes, by rider height, that it suggests for beginners. Might be a good place to get ideas, then find the pictures online for her.

Shawn

post #17 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
I knew a guy who got a bike for his wife, he thought it was a great trade!

I can definitely say that about my ex-wife for sure

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #18 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

this discussion has me thinking. My father-in-law is looking at getting a bike. It started when we all went on vacation together. I was seriously looking and his other son-in-law already had one.

He like the cruisers, and wants something he can easily hit the highway with, but doesn't want a monster of a bike. He likes the Suzuki S40, but I don't know how well you could scoot on the highway on a single cylinder. He's not real tall and has short legs.

How well do the v-twin 500s and 750s hold up on the highway and in some twisty stuff (obviously not railing it like a sportbike)?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

One day I'll post pics of the missus' S40 (Barton's been begging for them, he thinks it's a real man's bike)

But I will say that it does surprisingly well at freeway speeds. With a shield, it could do 70-75 all day long if you wanted it to, though it's much happier driving around town (and surprisingly fun) around the 60 mile an hour and less mark. The nicest thing about em - cheap, simple, and you can have some fun with mods/dip your toe in the cruiser world (mine has been rejetted and is surprisingly responsive, though not necessarily fast...also has a sportster exhaust - sounds like 'gopher farts') CRAZY fanatics for the thing here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

I'm surprised by how much I like it. Too small for me to ride around daily, but it makes me wonder if I wouldn't mind having a larger cruiser in the stable...Valkyrie????

post #20 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
...it makes me wonder if I wouldn't mind having a larger cruiser in the stable...Valkyrie????
How about a Rune?!?!?

post #21 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Those Valkyries are music to my ears.

post #22 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Have to tie this threadjack in somehow...

So while on my PCH adventure, at a stop we saw a BEAUTIFUL Valkyrie that the motorcycle shop owner said was ridden by a lady. My mind instantly assumed (given the lack of background) some rough and tumble yet gorgeous woman capable of handling such a machine!

We were at that shop for a while (long story, still working on it) and the woman came to pick up the bike.

60 yrs plus, 5' nothin, big smile. She had brought it in for maintenance as she was driving it down from San Luis Obisbo to Tucson KA.

So, in my attempt to de-thread-jack (at least temporarily), apparently a little old lady can handle a Valkyrie, if you can find one.

And back to the thread jacking - HOLY *#*$, the Rune! Thanks for clueing me in!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/1075508921.html

post #23 of 33 Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Those Runes do look nice. That is surprising to hear about the old lady. Thanks for the short bike list. I have been searching around for something like that. Thanks for the help.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #24 of 33 Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Has she done well in all the MSF classes? Some folks are naturals, but most aren't. Getting a hers cycle is a hot topic at home, but after the SO fell off her pedal-bike three times inside a year. it isn't a confidence builder she will graduate to motor. If yours is a rare motion-master, get something very light, small and maneuverable.

post #25 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Okay...my father-in-law is still looking for a good bike to start on. Saturday, he stopped at the Honda dealer and saw a bike he liked in the parking lot, but didn't think it was for sale. I rode through on the way to meet the guys at Moonlite and saw that it was an 80s model Magna 750. Yesterday's paper confirmed that it IS for sale...1986 Honda Magna 750 for $1,950.

What do you guys think about the bike as a starter and what about the price. It looks just like this with a little backrest for the passenger.

post #26 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Okay...my father-in-law is still looking for a good bike to start on. Saturday, he stopped at the Honda dealer and saw a bike he liked in the parking lot, but didn't think it was for sale. I rode through on the way to meet the guys at Moonlite and saw that it was an 80s model Magna 750. Yesterday's paper confirmed that it IS for sale...1986 Honda Magna 750 for $1,950.

What do you guys think about the bike as a starter and what about the price. It looks just like this with a little backrest for the passenger.
My vote is no. Get a light ride that handles and brakes much better. I'd prefer a modern Kawi-500cc (bench seat). You have to be very careful with FIL, chances are he won't listen to ATGATT, and if he ever falls it will make holidays very painful for YOU!

post #27 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

I'd go with a more modern bike for a starter, lots of things changed between 1986 and the mid to late 90's in motorcycle technology.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #28 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
My vote is no. Get a light ride that handles and brakes much better. I'd prefer a modern Kawi-500cc (bench seat). You have to be very careful with FIL, chances are he won't listen to ATGATT, and if he ever falls it will make holidays very painful for YOU!
I'm fairly certain he will not wear anything but a helmet. He's had a heart attack, several stints, and thinks he's a goner anyway. I'm not offering any encouragement to him at all, but he keeps asking questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I'd go with a more modern bike for a starter, lots of things changed between 1986 and the mid to late 90's in motorcycle technology.
I recommended something newer. He wants to spend less than $4,000.

post #29 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm fairly certain he will not wear anything but a helmet. He's had a heart attack, several stints, and thinks he's a goner anyway. I'm not offering any encouragement to him at all, but he keeps asking questions.
Not good. If you enjoy your marriage then ignore his questions and discourage him from riding.

post #30 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I recommended something newer. He wants to spend less than $4,000.
Tons of almost new bikes available for under $4000, anything from cruisers to sport bikes to naked bikes to adventure bikes, my daily review of CL proves as much.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #31 of 33 Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Get her a 919!

Upgraded parts are transferable. (You get points for buying her stuff) & then when yours mysteriously breaks, you get the same thing.

Then put her in 6" stiletto's so she can touch the ground.

A nice Race "G" string would be a nice addition as well!

I will be happy to ride pick up, If anything were to... um... fall off.

post #32 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Has she done well in all the MSF classes? Some folks are naturals, but most aren't. Getting a hers cycle is a hot topic at home, but after the SO fell off her pedal-bike three times inside a year. it isn't a confidence builder she will graduate to motor. If yours is a rare motion-master, get something very light, small and maneuverable.
Haven't seen her on a bicycle yet, but she has no major problems being a passenger in the twisties as long as I warn her about tight turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Get her a 919!

Upgraded parts are transferable. (You get points for buying her stuff) & then when yours mysteriously breaks, you get the same thing.

Then put her in 6" stiletto's so she can touch the ground.

A nice Race "G" string would be a nice addition as well!

I will be happy to ride pick up, If anything were to... um... fall off.

I can't think straight I'm laughing so hard. My wife can barely walk in short heels as it is. You would have to beat me to the punch at riding pick up, but thinking about it it should read "You would beat me to the punch".

One question though, what color for the G-string?

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #33 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

How about a 1998 GS500 with 6500 miles on it for $2,100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode