Battery died for good? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Battery died for good?

Has anyone every drained their bike's battery and then wasn't able to charge it?

I left my key on for a few moments today to let the fans run(Bike read 230degrees) but of course I forgot to turn off the key until a few hours later. Dead as a doornail... being that I've never had this issue before, I went and bought a new battery charger.

So I threw the charger on the battery, check the charger, "charging", and left. Came back 30 minutes later and the charger said "Trouble". Bike was still dead. So I reseated the terminals and left it again. Came out a bit later "Trouble"

So, has anyone ever had the experience of having a battery crap out permenantly after draining it down once? I'm finding this hard to believe.

Thanks

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

A lot of automatic chargers will not charge if it has dropped to a really low voltage something to do with safty and pos>neg accidents.If it has a manual setting try that till it comes up a bit then switch it back to the auto cycle.

I only know this cause I got a new charger for my testing rigg at work and the book says so...

post #3 of 28 Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Mine doesn't have that feature. The only adjustment on the charger is between 6V and 12V. It's on 12V of course. I might just jump it with my car in a minute.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #4 of 28 Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Mine doesn't have that feature. The only adjustment on the charger is between 6V and 12V. It's on 12V of course. I might just jump it with my car in a minute.
Is it dry now? Then put some (not too much) *distilled* water in each hole before charging it. Rinse/clean off all the battery crud on the top before filling it. I've removed the caps on half dry/dead "sealed" batteries and had success charging them.

But just in case only park on top of hills from now on...

post #5 of 28 Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

if a cell is shot you will need a new battery. Try some AAA's...

post #6 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

When was said battery's birthday?

Jump it and ride it around for awhile. See if it charges via the bike. If so, your new charger may be a warranty case.

If it doesn't, you're the new owner of a dead battery. (assuming the charging system is working on the bike, which it sounds like it was before "key on/head up ass" syndrome).

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

After my last post I went out to the garage and it said "Trouble" again. But this time I noticed that I could get the lights to turn on and the fuel pump to prime.

Reset the charger and left it. This morning I went out and it was fully charged. Fired right up.

I think this charger didn't like the completely dead battery. After charging it for a half hour it would just say Trouble but still gave it a little charge. After that it charged. Stupid charger... stupid rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
When was said battery's birthday?
5 years... factory battery.

Never charged before, never taken out of the bike during winter(or ever), drained down once before, still going strong(again). Good battery.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #8 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I am glad you did not jump the battery off of your car. A motorcycle does not create nearly the amperage that a car does and can often burn up regulators, rectifiers. Glad it worked for you.

post #9 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco919 View Post
I am glad you did not jump the battery off of your car. A motorcycle does not create nearly the amperage that a car does and can often burn up regulators, rectifiers. Glad it worked for you.
I hear this from some and then hear the exact opposite from others. I read all over that you can jump it as long as you don't start the car while it's charging. Anyone?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #10 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Ewwww... I NEVER jumped a bike from a car... and I wouldnt advise it.

Niether would I add any fluids to a "sealed" battery and attempt charging it!

For the cost of that new battery... I'd just buy one. Peace of mind and my eyesight in tack!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #11 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

5 years old.........you are ready to go forth and spend my son.

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton
post #12 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The amperage of the battery is irrelevant when used to jump a dead battery. It is the voltage rating difference that would be a problem, and since both are nominally rated at 12 volts, it would not cause a problem. In fact, if the failure of the battery to charge because the voltage is too low for the charger to recognize it, an old trick is to wire a charged battery of the same voltage parallel to the dead battery (+ to +, - to -) to get the charging started. And by the way, trying to let the bike's charging system recharge a heavily discharged or dead battery is not a good idea (as any good motorcycle electric tech will tell you) because motorcycle electrical systems are very undersized in relation to their automobile counterparts and you can overheat and cook stators doing that.

post #13 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
5 years old.........you are ready to go forth and spend my son.
Psh, forget that idea... this one will be fine for another 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR919 View Post
The amperage of the battery is irrelevant when used to jump a dead battery. It is the voltage rating difference that would be a problem, and since both are nominally rated at 12 volts, it would not cause a problem.
That's what I've been told. Makes sense. A caution to starting the car though because the charging system of the car can cause damange to the bike that is hooked up to it's battery, I read.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #14 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Tirone

I see no reason you wouldn't be able to jump a bike from a car whether it's running or not. You will only pull as much current as needed, and extra current won't hurt the battery if it's for a short period of time (if at all).

One thing you shouldn't do is jump a car with another car that's running, because the load of the starter is too high for the alternator to handle and after a while it will kill it.

You might as well replace the battery. Alot of automotive batteries will no longer hold a charge after discharging completely.

03 919 (most of it anyway)
post #15 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Absolutely do not start or run the car if jumping from a car battery! That is when amperage becomes an issue and the higher amperage charge rate from the car system can cook the motorcycle battery and other components on the bike.

post #16 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I've jumped every bike I've ever owned with a car. This is because I've been too lazy or forgot to put a trickle charger on the bike and too impatient to wait for the charger to charge the battery. Never had a problem.

Only had to replace one battery after 4-yrs. Again, I'm horrible at removing or trickle charging my batteries during storage. Let the battery drain completely too many times.

post #17 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I've jumped every bike I've ever owned with a car. This is because I've been too lazy or forgot to put a trickle charger on the bike and too impatient to wait for the charger to charge the battery. Never had a problem.
We were talking about Non-Stationary bikes here, something you know nothing about!

It is said that 90% of the motorcycles today won't charge your battery (there are a few that do though) but it will only maintain the charge that is holding when you started it and went for a ride. It is not recommended to start the bike, drive it around the block and turn if off again thinking that, that is all that needs to give it some charge again as all you did was lower the charge on it even more.

Spending the 30 or 40 bucks on a good trickle charger is the best investment you can do, unless of course, you own like 5 bikes and you don't ride either of them but... nobody is that much of an idiot, right?

post #18 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

I'v heard all the above,But will add to it a little.If jumping a bike from a car(not running)Place the neg cable clamp for the bike on the center/side stand.

Also...Once a many years ago I was riding home from work and ran into some bad traffic.When I finally got to the light there was a car that had died while waiting for the green.As I had to wait for the light I asked what might be wrong the little lady tell me She is on the way to the shop to have the car looked at.Seem it likes to die at stop lights.**** I say I'll give you a jump.She starts laughing,I'm on a bike after All(CB1000C) after a short bit I've got the cables on rev to 3500ish hold for 30 sec and the car starts right up and no more traffic Jam.

post #19 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Psh, forget that idea... this one will be fine for another 5 years.

That's what I've been told. Makes sense. A caution to starting the car though because the charging system of the car can cause damange to the bike that is hooked up to it's battery, I read.
Just buy a new battery. You can't run the battery out like you did your sprocket.

And don't give me that "I'll just use my Jedi levitation trick & float it home when the battery dies"... crap.

post #20 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Never!

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #21 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Never!
Fine...Then put a steel plate on top. That always seems to help.

post #22 of 28 Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Fine...Then put a steel plate on top. That always seems to help.
Ohhhh mang, that was just WAY below the belt... funny as shiot though!!!

post #23 of 28 Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Bike Battery

I use regular motorcycle jumpers. They are miniture cables that fit in your tank bag. Only so much juice will go thru small wires. I've jumped 4-wheelers, jet skies, and my BMW off cars with them. If they're dangerous, then the Cycle Shops should quit selling them because of liability.
I also know for a fact that a battery can appear to be excellent, you get on the Super Slab at 75 and that constant whop, whop, whop on expansion joints will hammer your plates till you have a battery box full of grey grit. Where the old grids just fell apart,and you have a stone dead battery that's useless. It was gone you just didn't know till the middle of your ride.
I see nothing but good from the gell batteries.

[
post #24 of 28 Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

if you only have heavy guage jumper cables tie a couple knots in the line this acts as a surge protector and also helps reduce excess amperage, if getting jumped by something with a big V-8 use 2 or 3 knots.

post #25 of 28 Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
if you only have heavy guage jumper cables tie a couple knots in the line this acts as a surge protector and also helps reduce excess amperage, if getting jumped by something with a big V-8 use 2 or 3 knots.
If I'm getting jumped by someone with a V8, I'm using a 38!

post #26 of 28 Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
If I'm getting jumped by someone with a V8, I'm using a 38!
so literal man,I bet you use a forklift for lifting pallets of forks, I stold that one off Mitch Hedburg.

post #27 of 28 Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

What else do you lift forks with......A spooner?

post #28 of 28 Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

seriously

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode