Anti-lock brakes are good, whodathunkit? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Anti-lock brakes are good, whodathunkit?

This actually made it on a real news report, the rest of the world now knows we exist.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27313063/

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

No they dont - most folks wont even pay attention to this story !

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #3 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Anybody have actual experience with abs on a bike ?

I'm not a fan of abs on anything.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Tirone

I have spent sometime on a BMW 1150 RT. ABS has the potential of saving a life or at least serious injuries. I am sure nobody here needs to be told of the may hazards that exist while riding. ABS can make up for panicking during emergency braking. It can also help if during braking an unseen road hazard appears, i.e. oil, anti-freeze, etc.

A bike will stop faster if it is at maximum threshold braking and ABS is not used. However, ABS could mean the difference of “Holy ****, that was a close one” to a call to 911.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Ya know, it's a funny thing. I've been driving my '00 GMC Z71 since new and it has four-wheel ABS. I can get it to engage by going over railroad tracks while braking and such, but even though I live in the snow belt, I've never had it engage on the rare panic stop. I use the skills I've built over my thirty years of driving like decent following distance, modulation, brake before turning to keep me out of trouble.
Same with the moto. When I was a newbe, I'd lock the rear, but now that I've trained my brain to react with the right hand, I can get the front to bite hard and stop at will.
Sure, there's always the un-expected like leaves, water, manhole covers, painted lines and whatnot to fowl up my record, but this is part of riding, right?

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Yes I have

A few years back, I had a BMW~K bike with ABS.
I rounded a curve out in the rural outback and there were about 15 goats laying in the middle of the road sunning themselves. I rapped the brakes in a panic and remember hearing a chirp, but, stopped upright right in the middle of said stinky animals. They looked at me and slowly mosied off the road.
I got off and walked back and found a tire mark about
3"-4" long.
On a later ride I topped a hill and there was a woman in a car stopped at her mailbox reading her mail. Again it was a life or death stop and that familar chirp and a very strong stop. I wished all bikes had it.
I don't doubt a good rider knowing he's doing a test may fare well with regular brakes, but, the street is all about anything can happen when it ain't supposed to. If something jumps out real sudden, you squeeze like hell and hope for the best.

[
post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

one thing that skews this test is the fact that most of the bikes equiped with abs are out of the price range of the younger (read that as stupid) kids.. therefore they are getting results from older (read that as calmer) people who arent as likely to get nuts like the kids do... my opinion... i could be wrong... for what its worth i like abs

post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

Damn, I though Brokerecord was fixing to say he had topped a hill and there was a NAKED lady sunning herself and he had to make an emergency stop!
I like ABS, it has kept the rear end of my Dodge truck from passing my front bumper many-a-times on some of these diesel fuel splashed roads around here.
Being a port city, Charleston has many big trucks mucking up our hiways.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

my little gs has them and though I have not had to use them!! I have played a bit especially the rear and its pulses felt from the petal are useful. I have never felt any thing of the sort with the front but I personally think it has more stopping power than my 9'er did, but I never got stainless lines on it like the BMW has stock!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode