2005 Honda ST1300 Review - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 1 Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
2005 Honda ST1300 Review

Hello everyone!

I recently traded my 2001 Harley FXDL straight across for a 2005 Honda ST1300. As much as I priced out accessories to make the Harley a better interstate bike, I decided it was time to simply get a better interstate bike. It's similar to when I had a Shadow 750 ACE and instead of rejetting/modding/accessorizing I simply traded it for a 919. The guy I traded with said that now that he's in his mid-50s, the ST is too fast for him. The FXDL ended up being his 10th Harley and was happy to find that it was a carbureted "REAL HARLEY"

First off, the bike has 48k miles. Nothing for a Honda right? Seems to be OK on maintenance (but all too often people have the mentality of it needs nothing so it gets nothing), and only mods are bar risers, heated grips, and a Corbin seat. I've had a 2004 FJR1300 and a 1991 ST1100 so I'm no stranger to couch-missiles.

PROS
-Compared to the FJR, build quality is better. My FJR fell apart every time I rode it. After a trip from Arkansas to Pennsylvania the bike blew out a fork seal and started drinking oil at 25k miles. I hope others have better luck than I did and supposedly the later models fixed all the issues the 2004s had.
-Compared to the ST1100, the fuel injection is nice even though the carburetors never gave me any issues on the 1100. And luggage security is far superior and more ergonomic. The bags are easier to get on and off, and there's only one lock per bag. The ST1100 had keyholes EVERYWHERE. The ST1300 has a nice layout and both are honestly top notch in quality. The 1100 also had an awful electrical system and a timing belt to replace which I remedied early on in ownership.
-It's addicting (and really really dumb), but whacking the throttle in first makes the front wheel jump off the ground.

CONS
-She thicc. And tall. And did I mention heavy?? My 32" inseam is unable to flatfoot the bike with the corbin seat.
-Compared to the FJR, it's the fat and ugly cousin. The FJR looked better, performed better, and was overall a better sport touring bike. I enjoyed riding the FJR but working on the FJR was one of the worst bikes I've ever had. The FJR was often confused for a sport bike that someone dumped miracle-grow on... Not the case with the ST1300.
--The FJR could easily handle high speed touring (hmmm... that may be what caused the oil usage issue) and setting the throttle lock above 90 was part of all interstate travels. The ST1300, although heavier, doesn't feel stable at elevated speeds.
-Compared to the ST1100, it's not THAT much better. I hate having to run premium gas in it vs the 1100 preferred 87. I actually preferred the ugly duckling look of the ST1100. It was unapologetic about its comfort. The 1300 seems like she's trying too hard to be something more. The fixed 1100 windshield was actually better than the infinitely adjustable buffeting screen on the 1300.

I've been riding the ST1300 a fair amount. My rankings of the three bikes are:

1)FJR1300
2)ST1100
3)ST1300

It's honestly disappointing after riding the other bikes. The 1300 always had a hype about it, but now that I have one, it's simply okay. Don't get me wrong, the bike starts, runs, and rides like a good motorcycle should, but Honda really engineered out the character and fun factor. If I get another sofa-rocket, it might be a late model FJR.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode