zx10r - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

zx10r

so i was wondering if i should buy this or not.
it is a 2005 zx10r with 18000 miles, it has a salvaged title (i email the guy to ask questions) i dont know what happened yet.
this is what he had to say about the bike..."salvaged title it ran perfect untill the valve dropped it will still start but i wouldnt drive it untill you get it fixed"
it could be a good winter project.
he is asking 800.
should i do it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike 1.jpg (8.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg bike 2.jpg (2.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg bike 3.jpg (1.7 KB, 98 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
The Cripple

valve dropped?! and he still started it?! oi.... that valve is shot, so is the piston. the crank and connecting rod is a gamble. only way to know is to tear into the engine.

either way, you're gonna spend some pretty coin on engine repairs alone. mate, pick it up for 300 or walk is my advice. if he dropped a valve at only 18k, he must of used and abused that bike so there's no telling what else is going on.

post #3 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
valve dropped?! and he still started it?! oi.... that valve is shot, so is the piston. the crank and connecting rod is a gamble. only way to know is to tear into the engine.

either way, you're gonna spend some pretty coin on engine repairs alone. mate, pick it up for 300 or walk is my advice. if he dropped a valve at only 18k, he must of used and abused that bike so there's no telling what else is going on.
thanks for the advice, i asked about some of those things in the email i sent him but i didnt think about the abuse factor that may have gone on.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Brain stolen again?

Fuck, you can sell the good parts on ebay and make a freakin ton!

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #5 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Aquilifer

RUN...........RUN AWAY...............RUN AWAY SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!

post #6 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I agree with above. You could offer less and part it out. It's a gamble selling the parts though. You could research zx-10 parts on fleabay and see what they are selling for and IF they are selling. might be more trouble than it's worth though.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #7 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Even if you have to buy a frame and engine if your doing the work yourself the economics look good.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #8 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Di"zx"en

I'd buy it for $500.00 and part it. No more than that though. Engine work and who knows what else on top of salvage title grief. Sounds like a lot of time and effort to me.

That'll work........
post #9 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
The Cripple

got to thinking about this.... if it had the full fairings and they were in good shape.. then $500 would be good.. but as it is... i say offer $300 as i mentioned before and then part it out as others mentioned. not much use for it now.

post #10 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Brain stolen again?

I only have a couple scrawny pictures to go by, and maybe you do, too. A 10R without a fairing, Christ....most people around here are always bitching and moaning about cheap plastic anyway, and they can't help but remind you every day about the virtues of Nakedness, so........what's the prob with no plastic, e7pecially for 8 bills!
Forks, rims, brakes, calipers, FRAME, swingarm etc. Bucks!
Dropping a valve though.........that's major engine buttfuckery! A salvage of as many interior and exterior parts is in order if in fact the valve was sucked.

I don't know what else to say except to Jew (yes Jew. The Jewish people Jew each other down and are proud of it for Christ's sake) the guy down appropriately and mercilessly.

Good luck and good hunting. I would love to have that set up, but I just squandered over $350 bucks I didn't have on reloading supplies.

Mathew Quigley
post #11 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Optio

BUY THAT BIKE!

If they guy hasn't taken it apart how does he know it dropped a valve.
1) If eng is shot. Buy a really wrecked bike and swap engines. Piece of cake and still way ahead of the game.
2) part is out. I made 1500 bucks parting out my 919. And its parts are way less desired than parts form a zx10. Folks are fixing their droped bikes all the time with parts you can sell from that one.
3) Are you sure its even got a bad eng. A friend of mine bought a superhawk once for pennies on the dollar because the owner said a bearing had spud. It made all kinds of racket when idleing. Took it totally apart to rebuild it and after finding no bad bearings started looking closer at all the parts. Cam chain tensioner was bad. $50 part that would have taken 10 min to change out.

For that price you can't go wrong. You either make a bad ass naked bike for cheap, or you make some extra chash with a little elbow greese.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #12 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Princeps Prior

Wheels and front triple trees w/forks are worth $800 alone.......

post #13 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
BUY THAT BIKE!

Here here

Mathew Quigley
post #14 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Princeps Prior

Lol.....brake master cylinder....$75, front brakes $100, rotors $100, rear shock $75, seat $50, headers $50, scraped up exhaust $75, forks $300, wheels $100 ea/$200, ecu $150, rectifier $75...... Then if the head is ok.... $300.......swingarm $100....

I'm thinking it's a quick cash scam....bet the title isn't legit and he wants to dump it quick.

post #15 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Tirone

Quote:
I don't know what else to say except to Jew (yes Jew. The Jewish people Jew each other down and are proud of it for Christ's sake) the guy down appropriately and mercilessly.

bigdaa: just so you know -

i've previously watched your antics on this board and thought that you were an interesting guy who is wrong sometimes but likes to speak his mind.

right now i think you're stupid and an asshole.

congrats...
...j919

ps. i've heard similar comments from others in the past and not spoken up, and then regretted keeping quiet afterwards. [submit]

post #16 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Brain stolen again?

Sorry you feel that way, because to know me is to love me. But glad to here from you anyway.

BTW, I'm Jewish.

Mathew Quigley
post #17 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Brain stolen again?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit! I cannot lie. I'm not Jewish. Just dicking with you. Were you around when I was busted up the time I was saying my mind about the only three men I know that I consider to be n-----s? Well, I got me some religion from that incident. However, I got to say, those three men I consider and will always do so to be lower than whale flop. Honestly, the only "Jew" I consider to be a mother puss bucket and in need of a permanent dirt nap is George Soros.

Your point is taken, but not well taken.
If I may, if you want to register disgust, will you contact these folks?

Jewish Defense League

You may even want to contribute to their cause. Kind of like I do. Ya, money.

Mathew Quigley
post #18 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Brain stolen again?

Can we get back to the subject at hand? At 8 bills, more like 6 if the wheeling and dealing is done, I would dig having a potential buildable motor to go along with my 04 10R.
Plus! This thing could be turned into a drag bike. I do have to say that the mention of clear title is of paramount importance.

Mathew Quigley
post #19 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by j919 View Post
bigdaa: just so you know -

i've previously watched your antics on this board and thought that you were an interesting guy who is wrong sometimes but likes to speak his mind.

right now i think you're stupid and an asshole.

congrats...
...j919

ps. i've heard similar comments from others in the past and not spoken up, and then regretted keeping quiet afterwards. [submit]
Lighten up nancy, its the internet

post #20 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Gets censored

I bet the 10 is stolen my .02

post #21 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I bet the 10 is stolen my .02
Don't you just want to fuck up a bike thief?

Mathew Quigley
post #22 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Gets censored

Ive had shit stolen from me whole life. As a kid it really skews your view on people when your favorite bicycle that Matt Hoffman used to ride and your brother bought for you gets stolen along with all your toys the family Tv and your mom cant replace em for a while. This happened frequently, poor lady.

Nowa days if i catch someone red handed stealin my shit I dont even bother with the cops...

If I cant catch em the dog damn sure can, and I can drag em back to the house. The law let me down so many times its not even worth it.

Shit I BOUGHT a stolen bike by accident looking to build a track TLr when I was looking for parts I came accross the original owner he had no idea I had the bike but from what he was describing (we were talking TLR's) I knew it had to be his. I came clean and told him, turned the bike over to Johny Law gave the cops an address where I bought it a phone number of the seller and hand picked the gus out of a photo pack. Guess what happened, jack shit... nothing!

So to say the least yeah I hate thieves with everything I've got. Right behind em though are cops, no offense I know there is good and bad in every profession I just have had less than stellar experiences with the law.

post #23 of 23 Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Brain stolen again?

Brian, you are a Renegade!

So Red, you gonna pull the trigger on this?

Mathew Quigley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode