Your last speediing ticket? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Angry Your last speediing ticket?

Just wondering how much it cost and how fast you were going? I'll start,

Mine was this morning on the way to work. In the darkness I guess I missed seeing the ghost car I passed. Cop not too happy says, "You went by me like I was standing still". Kind of lucky because I was still accelerating when he turned on the lights. 2 Km/hr faster would have been manditory court.

158 km/hr an a 110 km/hr zone (100 miles/hr in a 70 zone)

$333.

Spoiler:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Pilus Posterior

hmmm. I've not had one for many years (touch wood), not through lack of trying mine you but I am very careful where and when I wick it up.

In New Zealand anything over 40 kms over the posted limit is a instant 'walk-home' 3 months loss of license.

post #3 of 26 Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
hmmm. I've not had one for many years (touch wood), not through lack of trying mine you but I am very careful where and when I wick it up.

In New Zealand anything over 40 kms over the posted limit is a instant 'walk-home' 3 months loss of license.

Like Allan, I haven't had a performance award in many years...my last one was in Jan 1993. From 1989 to 1993 I received MANY speeding tickets, and I lost my license for a time when I was 16.

As I recall, I was doing about 25-40 over on the interstate, and the trooper who stopped me had followed me for around 10-15 miles! he only wrote me up for doing 15 over the limit, though. I felt lucky at the time.

Strangely, I have not really changed my ways all that much, I guess I've just gotten better at picking (more) appropriate times & places. That and I've got better skill at anticipating an ambush.

Y'all be careful out there!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

post #4 of 26 Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Still on probation for it.

12mph over, or 19kph over and improper lane change (failure to signal) at a cost of nearly $400. In Texas, at 25mph over (40kph) it's a mandatory visit with the judge. It's at the officers discretion whether they take you (e.g. impound bike, cuff you, etc..) or if they leave it up to you. Most of the time, you can expect a free ride down town.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I haven't had one in a few years. I two tickets back to back in the same month and can't remember which one was last. One was burning out/drifting through an intersection with a cop sitting at the light. The other was for 75 in a 55.

The first one I listed was written up as wreckless driving and was ordered to attend court. I had accidentally pulled out in front of someone and stomped it to get out of their way. The judge knocked it down to Careless driving and that reduced the points and fee.

The 75 in a 55, I was actually clocked doing about 80. The state trooper knocked it down so that it was payable. It was over $225.

No tickets on two wheels.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Tirone

The last ticket I got was on US 19/74 heading south of Bryson City NC towards the Nantahala Gorge. A NC State M/C cop wrote me up for 70 in a 55mph zone. We had been out riding the back roads all day,( purposely staying away from the Deals Gap area, as other riders had warned us about heavy handed enforcement in effect over there). We were not trying to go fast, but were on a long downhill and I guess the speed just crepe up there.

While the cop was looking over my license and registration, i said to him"Look at that grey hair, you must feel like your writing your grandfather a ticket" I was hoping a little humor might diffuse the situation.

He made a big deal out of examining my picture on the license, then said "Nah, you're not that old!" and wrote me up.

I returned to Bryson City NC a few months later for my court date and pled 'Prayer for judgement continued', which is like pleading guilty, but asking for a break on the points against your license. (I have a class A CDL and points are automaticly recorded in your home state, Florida, in my case)

My plea was accepted and I paid a $100 court cost instead of $150 fine and as long as i kept my nose clean for a year, I received no points on my license.

RB

post #7 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Discen

Last ticket i got was in june on the 9er. I was going down 340 south just south of front royal in virginia. undercover state cop going the other direction turned around and caught up, said he clocked me going 73mph in a 55 zone. started talking to me about how he almost bought a 919 not too long before that and only gave me a ticket for failure to obey a highway sign (speed limit sign). Guess i got off pretty well cause the ticket only cost me a total of about 95$. Sucked though because i had registered the bike on friday and got a ticket on sunday...

post #8 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Tirone

94mph in a 60mph zone in Feb. '08. Charge was speeding. Plead not guilty and hired a lawyer. Deferral agreed to on May 2, 2010. 180 days of no tickets was the condition. I made it! The judge dismissed the ticket this week. Cost was $350 attorney plus $515 court cost. $865 to keep a perfect driving record. Was it worth it? Maybe.

post #9 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Brain stolen again?

$423

He clocked me at 100 coming into the turn, 99 going out. Speed limit: 55

Wrote me for 80 because I co-operated. Had two Sheriff ahead over the hill, and a copter in the sky.

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #10 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

83 in a 55 back in 91. Yeah, it's been that long. Being a stupid kid, I was doing 120 but slowed down for traffic. I got slowed down that far before he clocked me. Had to show up in court since I was only 16 at the time. Mommy asked the judge to let me keep my license

Only cost me $110. Man how times have changed.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #11 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Brain stolen again?

oops, the ticket was 2 years ago one week from today.

Mathew Quigley
post #12 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
The Cripple

none so far knock on wood.. but i know i've been pushing my luck lately on the 9ner

post #13 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Thor

This spring. One of the first nice days I was stuck in a cubicle all day. Going home I got on a stretch of highway with a long distance to any cars. Got on it pretty good. Few miles down I came to an area where the highway funnels into the city. Suddenly a cop flys around a mini van in the left emergency lane and flips on the lights. Pulled over cause I had no where to go. He asked me how fast I was going and told him I was doing about 70 in a 55. He says, "I have been chasing you for the past two miles doing between 135 and 145 to try to catch you." Wrote me down as doing 100 in a 55. I was really doing about 145 when he told me where he was sitting. $500 dollars and 6 points. I got a lawyer and my final court date is actually tomorrow.

post #14 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Brain stolen again?

Good luck jorgy. You know about Vaseline, don't you?

Mathew Quigley
post #15 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy82 View Post
This spring. One of the first nice days I was stuck in a cubicle all day. Going home I got on a stretch of highway with a long distance to any cars. Got on it pretty good. Few miles down I came to an area where the highway funnels into the city. Suddenly a cop flys around a mini van in the left emergency lane and flips on the lights. Pulled over cause I had no where to go. He asked me how fast I was going and told him I was doing about 70 in a 55. He says, "I have been chasing you for the past two miles doing between 135 and 145 to try to catch you." Wrote me down as doing 100 in a 55. I was really doing about 145 when he told me where he was sitting. $500 dollars and 6 points. I got a lawyer and my final court date is actually tomorrow.
i think that the cop was trying to stroke his ego saying his car was doing 135-145. i know the crown vics get really light and are pushing it around 125, here in Utah they are governed around 125 or were. i worked with the mechanic that did all of the work on the state troopers in northern Utah.
hope all goes well iin court.

post #16 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Thor

Redneck, the cop was in one of the new Chargers. I actually questioned him after he gave me a ticket cause he wasn't being a dick. He said that it was a good thing I didn't run as he would have caught me and I kinda smiled. He looks at my bike and asked what size it was. I told him a 600. He goes my car will do 162mph. So I told him my bike will do 167. He looks at me and say that's a pretty exact number and I just said so is 162 and he just laughed and was like get outta here.

post #17 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I thought it was 28 days and you can apply for a work license to get to and from work.

Quote:
Redneck, the cop was in one of the new Chargers. I actually questioned him after he gave me a ticket cause he wasn't being a dick. He said that it was a good thing I didn't run as he would have caught me and I kinda smiled. He looks at my bike and asked what size it was. I told him a 600. He goes my car will do 162mph. So I told him my bike will do 167. He looks at me and say that's a pretty exact number and I just said so is 162 and he just laughed and was like get outta here.
Pretty funny story. Its not so bad when they aren't being assholes about it.

I managed to get out for an hour a few weekends ago, gorgeous weather (pretty rare occurrence here) on a Saturday afternoon and went to one of the local hot spots (beach, restaurants, pubs) and had to pay some "tax" disguised as a road safety fine. I was allegedly going 60km/h in a 50km/h zone (so 37.5mph instead of 31.3mph). The bit I was doing this alledged earth shattering speeding, could be considered semi-industrial, with no puppies or children to suddenly run across the street, duel carriage way and all that (so realistically it should be a 70km/h zone).
Yet they took 24 hours to turn up when my neighbour got burgled, I guess there’s no money to be made in apprehending burglars. Major PR fail and they wonder why the public don’t generally respect them.

Yet, if your famous, you only get a warning(FYI, everything revolves around rugby around here):

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/4...raffic-penalty

Apparently the officer was a trainee and not certified to issue tickets, yes, riiiight.

post #18 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I got a warning once. I was going 17 in a 15. I still can't believe he pulled me over. He was probably hoping to get one of the fresh baked donuts from the box in the passenger seat.

Take that back. I got a second warning for my window tint being too dark. With my 9 month pregnant wife in the truck, sitting (pulled over) in my driveway, I wadded it up and threw it in the back seat. He shook his head and walked off as we got out to go inside.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #19 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Bacon-powered

I pulled up to a stoplight and looked in the mirror only to see a motorcycle cop behind me with his lights flashing. I pulled over after the intersection and he asked me what the hurry was. He told me he had to do 85 to catch up to me and followed me for a while to see if I would slow down (which I would have if I had seen him there). He started writing up the ticket and asked me which I wanted, 85 in a 55 or unsafe lane change. I picked the lane change. Only $225 plus traffic school fees. Pretty cool of him to give me the choice.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919
post #20 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Discen

I've only gotten one ticket, A car in front turned left while in town and I decided to open it in first gear (Shadow 750) cop was down the road.. I was doing 85kph in a 50 zone, but he liked my bike so he only wrote me up for 15 over. A few weeks after that, it was dark and I was stuck in the middle of a big line of traffic that couldn't stay at one speed so when I had the chance, I went around and kept on the gas to get out front abit...cop was behind me in the line, only got a warning. those were about 4 years ago.

Went on a group ride last july, ended up getting pulled over even though we weren't speeding, again a warning.

I noticed from your stories, the last time I got pulled over the cops said to us "We know you were speeding, we had to do 100kph to catch up to you" Really how stupid are some people? If I'm doing 80kph, and you pull out to chase me seconds later, you will have to go faster then me to catch up..yet time after time I hear people say this is what the cops say to them.

I was only pulled over on the bike, never in the car, I never feel the need to speed in the car.

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #21 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Last summer, following a cop on the ring road around the city. Speed limit is a 100km/h, we are BOTH doing 130-135km/h. Asshole turns on his lights, pulls over to the side and points the shoulder. I pulled over, wait for him a few minutes, when he comes out I told him we were doing the same speed, he said I had a nice bike and asked me for my licence and registration.
Came back with a ticket.

I can proudly say this summer is the first summer I didn't get a ticket since I own a bike.

post #22 of 26 Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Tirone

I've never gotten a ticket on the bike *knocks on wood*. Last ticket was almost 2 years ago in Ohio going 93 in a 65. Somehow only a $135 ticket and never showed up on the license or insurance. I have no idea how that happened. If you're in Ohio, don't stay in the left lane...

post #23 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
You were doing a buck forty and "he" was being a dick?

Mathew Quigley
post #24 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
You were doing a buck forty and "he" was being a dick?
No man. Reread that. I said he WASN'T being a dick! lol

post #25 of 26 Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
No man. Reread that. I said he WASN'T being a dick! lol
Age and macular degeneration just seem to go together. My mistake.

Mathew Quigley
post #26 of 26 Old 11-14-2010, 02:24 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Haven't had one since 2001 I believe, and that was in a car, 45 in a 25. Talked my way out of this one...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode