why is the battery such pain in the ass? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Party Machine

why is the battery such pain in the ass?

i's a nice day out where i live, (it's like 50 degrees here.) so i figured hell why not take the ol' bike out. Turn key, no luck dead battery. jumping it off my roommates work van, and go to pull that battery out and it is such a pain in the dick. I hate the design. ugh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If you follow the positive wire out it goes under the seat. It easier to jump from there. No tools, no fuss.

Spoiler:

post #3 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM
McTavish

[QUOTE=rickard919;481421]If you follow the positive wire out it goes under the seat. It easier to jump from there. No tools, no fuss.[/QUOTE

The voice of recent experience just spoke !

Had a chance to get a feel for having the old map back in ?

post #4 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenner182 View Post
i's a nice day out where i live, (it's like 50 degrees here.) so i figured hell why not take the ol' bike out. Turn key, no luck dead battery. jumping it off my roommates work van, and go to pull that battery out and it is such a pain in the dick. I hate the design. ugh.
i'm not really sure what or why you're complaining..... the battery is VERY easy to get to and VERY easy to pull out. 1 bolt to remove the under seat cover, remove rubber strap, pull battery out. done.

shit on my ninja 250, i had to take apart the fairings just to try and get to the battery since the older ninjas came with only 1 piece side fairings unlike today. hell, on my vlx i had to take off the side cover, remove the bolt that held the fuse box assembly, and unbolt the exhaust just to be able to pull it out. thank god more modern batteries are getting smaller and pack more cranking amps. no more exhaust removals!

post #5 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Party Machine

i got it out, but it was almost like it was getting caught on something. Also, there are some extra wires attached, and hase extra hookups. i dont know what they are though.

Side note, the ride was great. Was feeling froggy and Had to put my buddies cbr600 f2 in place on the highway. 140 in 40 degree weather is wild. haha

post #6 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

lol try changing the battery on some SS bikes. I think on my F4i the ECU was on top of the battery. Could have been another bike....
post #7 of 15 Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Ian

I usually boost mine from here.

The inboard post off this two terminal relay.(fused starter relay?)

I usually ground off the seat lock bolt. It's located just aft of the battery and easily accessible. You don't have to clamp it on the terminal just touch it to the terminal and hit the button. Works every time and only takes seconds.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Milites Gregarius

Get a Battery Tender. Put the pigtail on, you only have to take the battery out one time. Tuck the pigtail up under the side cover. I even used hook and loop material to keep in place when not in use. Get a small adhesive backed piece of hook material and stick it to the inside of the right side cover, then a small velcro wire strap on the pigtail. Works great. Stays in place til you need it.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Warped man...

I agree with you Brenner. First time pulling battery out was an ordeal and major pain in the ass. Getting it back in made me angry enough to want to strangle anyone nearby. Ended up bending my negative terminal a bit... Like you said, felt like it was getting caught on the side with the leads. An extra inch of space would make a world of difference I think.

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Party Machine

i knew i was not crazy.

post #11 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H919rider View Post
Get a Battery Tender. Put the pigtail on, you only have to take the battery out one time. Tuck the pigtail up under the side cover. I even used hook and loop material to keep in place when not in use. Get a small adhesive backed piece of hook material and stick it to the inside of the right side cover, then a small velcro wire strap on the pigtail. Works great. Stays in place til you need it.
/\ /\

What he said. I think it's a pain as well. Too tight. Put a pigtail on there and call it good.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Out for a ride.

Quote:
Love my tender - always charged and keeps the battery good longer. Just replaced my OEM battery on my 02 last summer when it finally gave out at 10 years old.

post #13 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki GT View Post
Love my tender - always charged and keeps the battery good longer. Just replaced my OEM battery on my 02 last summer when it finally gave out at 10 years old.
My '02 battery is still going and never been on a trickle charger or taken out of the bike for that matter. It lasted longer than the engine. What's up with that? Lol

Spoiler:

post #14 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
My '02 battery is still going and never been on a trickle charger or taken out of the bike for that matter. It lasted longer than the engine. What's up with that? Lol
That is probably due to the fact that you ride almost everyday. So the battery gets a good charge often and doesn't drain to much.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #15 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Warped man...

Quote:
Yep, exactly what I did. Made me so happy to know I wouldn't need to take it out again until catastrophe strikes

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode