Who cleans their bike with a microfiber? Is it any better? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Who cleans their bike with a microfiber? Is it any better?

I'm new to microfiber cleaning cloths, got a few from Harbor Freight and they work great for some things.

I'm mainly looking to clean dust/dirt build up on the mirrors, tank, gauges, etc... Hope I can dry wipe without scratches, with they do that?

Right now, I usually use a spray polish and a dry rag. Works pretty well, just wondering if a microfiber will do a better job and not damage things like the finish or mirrors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 PM
919 Rider

I use a window cleaner and paper towel on my mirrors. Or just a wash.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 06:33 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I'm new to microfiber cleaning cloths, got a few from Harbor Freight and they work great for some things.

I'm mainly looking to clean dust/dirt build up on the mirrors, tank, gauges, etc... Hope I can dry wipe without scratches, with they do that?

Right now, I usually use a spray polish and a dry rag. Works pretty well, just wondering if a microfiber will do a better job and not damage things like the finish or mirrors.
Where are you at re the clutch assembly?
All sorted out now?

post #4 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 06:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I use a window cleaner and paper towel on my mirrors. Or just a wash.
A paper towel?!
Yikes!!
My guess is you dab absorb and don't do any energetic heavily loaded rubbing.
Then all is OK and always will be.

post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 PM
919 Rider

Hahaha!..no worries mcromo. I consider mirrors disposable. I use cheap ones. Once they look ragged they go onto the dirt bike to get smash up at some point. I flog down a lot of tight overgrown trails.
Mostly I just wash them along with rest of the bike and dry with a towel/rag.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Tesserarius

Paper towels are made to be absorbant. Paper towels are not made for cleaning. They leave a haze behind when used on something like a windshield. Use a Scott shop towel instead, or a micro fiber towel.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 PM
919 Rider

My bad. I use so much wrong stuff on my bike. I've learnt a lot from this site. Looks like I got a ways to go.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 08:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
My bad. I use so much wrong stuff on my bike. I've learnt a lot from this site. Looks like I got a ways to go.
You're much too hard on yourself.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Where are you at re the clutch assembly?
All sorted out now?
I didn't do anything about it. It's been months and I'm not exactly sure what to look for, maybe paint marks on the edge, but here's the thing: if I got it wrong (random 6 or 7 in 1 chance?) then I have some 14,000 miles on it from this partial season alone.

If I did get it wrong, and if it does damage, I guess it's already done it's damage.

I don't remember the markings on each disk, and I know I was VERY careful with them... so I noticed the difference from the inner most and so after looking at each one (which I'm sure I did) I couldn't see a difference.

In other words, I really don't know what difference it would make at this point.

post #10 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I didn't do anything about it. It's been months and I'm not exactly sure what to look for, maybe paint marks on the edge, but here's the thing: if I got it wrong (random 6 or 7 in 1 chance?) then I have some 14,000 miles on it from this partial season alone.

If I did get it wrong, and if it does damage, I guess it's already done it's damage.

I don't remember the markings on each disk, and I know I was VERY careful with them... so I noticed the difference from the inner most and so after looking at each one (which I'm sure I did) I couldn't see a difference.

In other words, I really don't know what difference it would make at this point.
14,000 miles on it and no problems nor hints of.
Sounds like you had it right to begin with.

post #11 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
14,000 miles on it and no problems nor hints of.
Sounds like you had it right to begin with.
Hard to say if I had it right or if it really didn't make much difference. TBH, I really don't remember seeing one as special other than the inner one, but I MIGHT have. It would have been in a package with a different part number, but because I didn't install it for months after buying it, I might have forgotten those details.

I guess at this point, whatever damage it would have done is already done.

I would like to see the two different ones and see the actual difference between them.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 AM
919 Rider

I think the inner and outer can be slightly thicker than the others. There's also that alternate slot thing for the outer.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Discen

For painted surfaces, microfiber to avoid swirls. To dry, special drying microfiber.

After that, you should try a sealant on painted surfaces, headlight and glasses. The bugs and dirt will washed out easier with that products applied.

Seal n' Shine is getting very famous for that. Many videos in youtube. Check it out.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #14 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Seasoned

Yes, considering that you can buy inexpensive microfiber towels today, and wash and reuse them, they really are better. I use a little spray bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo (no petroleum in it) with water diluted about 10:1. You can spray it on plastic face shields, plexi windscreens, chrome, paint, leather gear-- let it soak a few minutes, then gently wipe off dirt and bugs off with a microfiber cloth. It doesn't leave a residue, and doesn't scratch if you are careful to use a clean surface of the towel. Also a cheap answer in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode