When did I become that guy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

When did I become that guy

I have been riding dirt and street bikes a long time.

My life has afforded me so many opportunities that most people never get, that at some point I became complacent, maybe I just grew to expect nearly everything to go my way.

I didnt lay down a bike being careless it seems I have done something worse, more disappointing. I have become the motorcycle owner who doesnt make time to ride. Worse yet I have two motorcycles, top of the line gear, and some friends who love to ride.

What happened? "Life?" Is it really living if I am living without the one material thing that I love?

My family is wonderful, my career is booming, financially I am very well off and still somewhere, daily there is something telling me I am missing a part of me that SHOULD be there.

Its an odd realization and I know the fix is simple = go for one f'ing ride!

As soon as the weather clears up. = My weak excuse for the time being.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sometimes life gets busy, especially this time of year. Hang in there and enjoy whatever you are doing and ride when you can. Heck even if I can sneak out for the quick 1/2 hour ride it's worth it. I got my fix that way today. It was 40*F and I was too lazy to put on the heated gear so I didn't want to ride that long anyway. 45 minute loop and home.

post #3 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Doesnt matter how much you ride, as long as when you do ride you enjoy it to the fullest.

I can't ride nearly as much as I'd like but when I do..... =)

post #4 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
no max no more

sounds normal to me...i lost a marrage because i was on my bike 24/7..thought riding was the greatest thing in in world..well i found out its not...fishing is.....now i take rides at night for coffee back home in 1 or 2 hours.....i know lots of guys who meet in the morning there gone all day ...come back to the spot where they left from and hang around...to me there lost souls looking for something thats right at home....enjoy the feeling you have , knowing you can ride any time you want but choose not to

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #5 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 03:03 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Sometimes life gets busy, especially this time of year. Hang in there and enjoy whatever you are doing and ride when you can. Heck even if I can sneak out for the quick 1/2 hour ride it's worth it. I got my fix that way today. It was 40*F and I was too lazy to put on the heated gear so I didn't want to ride that long anyway. 45 minute loop and home.
Toshi rode down to Richmond today to that vintage bike shop. If I wasn't stuck here at the office, I would have been just as dumb and headed down there. Sounded like a brutal ride, though.

I see guys riding everyday. Of course at this time of the year, they are commuters. But on the weekends, I still see some guys getting out.

It's like people that always say they need to start exercising. A million reasons pour out of their mouths saying why they haven't started.

Maybe riding to you isn't what it once was. And there's nothing wrong with that.

post #6 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Former 919er

I am blessed with the same things you describe. Fortunately, I am also employed somewhere that is against the rush-hour flow and where there are detours through the country available. I take advantage of this and get some riding in nearly daily with prolonged commutes. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't ride much with the young family at home.

My family knows riding clears my head. I come back a better dad and husband, so they let me go occasionally on the weekends. You just need to make the time and maybe get some more support and understanding at home (if that not there now).

post #7 of 19 Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Milites Gregarius

The worst thing about winter is not being able to get my "can't sleep/awake at 3am, clear my head" ride. that and hunting/spearfishing season is over.

Can kill anything. Can't ride. if it wasn't for good friends and the gym I would go insane.

post #8 of 19 Old 12-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Tirone

Mate,,,, i may be wrong but i'm in the same place as you.lifes great. but i can find a excuse NOT to do everything. From what a good mate told me, thats how his depression started, so now i grab my own ear, drag myself outside, and say get onya bike dickhead an ride.

post #9 of 19 Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Cornicen

I am 56 and I work more hours now than I ever did. I take care of more people now than ever and these are kids that are not even ours. My death will be my retirement. I live 6 1/2 miles from work and all strait road so it takes longer to dig a bike out of the gayrage than it takes to drive to work. Weekends are filled with watching the grand daughter which I will not complain about until she gets older and doesn't need PaPa any more.
I am burnt out and tired and fat and most of the time it is just sitting in the gayrage piddling with bikes that there is nothing wrong with.

There are them times when I get home and the house is empty that me and a bike will make for the hills..................that is my fun time.

post #10 of 19 Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I became that guy this year. Least amount of miles I have ever put on. I have four bikes setting in the garage. It's been one of those years, but there's hopefully a trip soon upcoming.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 19 Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Cornicen

I swear that next year I am going to take my 1st real week vacation in 8 years and go somewhere by myself

I think maybe
:

post #12 of 19 Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
I swear that next year I am going to take my 1st real week vacation in 8 years and go somewhere by myself

I think maybe
:
+1!

post #13 of 19 Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
As soon as the weather clears up. = My weak excuse for the time being.
Yeah, about that... See attached image. Not criticizing, just providing some potential motivation - The 'if he can do that, I can do this' sort of motivation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1950.jpg (124.1 KB, 35 views)

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #14 of 19 Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Out for a ride.

Related, but....

I realized this fall that I wasn't riding my bike anymore because it had gotten cold and I needed new insulated gloves, so I ran out and bought a pair. I slapped myself for not just getting them sooner - such great weather right now for riding!

post #15 of 19 Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Yeah, about that... See attached image. Not criticizing, just providing some potential motivation - The 'if he can do that, I can do this' sort of motivation.
your bike stays rather warm for being in cold weather

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #16 of 19 Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
I am blessed with the same things you describe. Fortunately, I am also employed somewhere that is against the rush-hour flow and where there are detours through the country available. I take advantage of this and get some riding in nearly daily with prolonged commutes. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't ride much with the young family at home.

My family knows riding clears my head. I come back a better dad and husband, so they let me go occasionally on the weekends. You just need to make the time and maybe get some more support and understanding at home (if that not there now).
Oh to have the Gatineau Parkway so close to home ............
Need I say more ?
The Cabot Trail is also awesome, but errors on that one are a more frightening prospect.

post #17 of 19 Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
your bike stays rather warm for being in cold weather
It was idling in place for several minutes while I broke out my camera from my bags and let it warm up under my gear before taking a picture. I think the wind was also from behind.

Anyway, once back on the road, the temp drops back down and it certainly seems to have no interest in overheating in a Texas summer, so... (shrug)

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #18 of 19 Old 12-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Ride Fast Take Chances

That guy no longer

Thanks for this thread. For the past 6 years I've been riding practically every day. I commute several hundred miles a week and do occasional Saturday rides. I've been logging around 20,000 miles a year.

In August of this year I transferred to a different position at work and my commute dropped down from 40 miles to just 18 miles one way. Instead of making excuses to ride I've been making excuses to take the car. I haven't been on the bike since October. That's the longest I've been off my bike in 6 years and that includes two heel surgeries.

I don't know why it has been troubling me. Perhaps the fear that if I stay away from it too long I won't go back.

Anyway I'm glad for your post and the many comments here.

Decision made, tomorrow I'm going riding. I may be cold, I may be wet, but I will definitely be riding.

thanks guys

Ride safe.

"When I'm riding my motorcycle I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle I'm glad to be alive" Neil Peart
post #19 of 19 Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Ride Fast Take Chances

Went riding today. Temps were in the 30s, but thanks to Gerbings I stayed kind of warm. The last hour of the ride through rain and sleet, but man it felt good to be riding again.

"When I'm riding my motorcycle I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle I'm glad to be alive" Neil Peart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode