What's in your tank bag? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

What's in your tank bag?

The creed of the U.S. SOG originated in the British Army back in one of the World Wars. It is what is known as "The 7 P's" [proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance].

I have striven to use this mantra in my personal life, professional life...hell every part of my life.

At work, for instance, I get involved in the electrical installation of some pretty big machinery. While I am good at "thinking on my feet" and fabricating conduit runs and such, I detest times where some dude in an office decides that they did not have the machine in the right place and need to move it 1 foot or rotate it 90 degrees. That's when my Aspergian side comes out and have an attitude meltdown like my son. Ugggh! And of course they want it done right away.. ("Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part a***hole.")

Last week I had to carry my wife's car in from her purse after we got groceries unloaded...wait It was her purse..I only thought I was carrying a 2008 Impala.

WTF does she keep in that thing? She's just a social worker ferchrissakes. As heavy as it is it's going to develop an event horizon soon.

I was to learn that in addition to regular female stuff she also had hand sanitizer, a small first aid kit, surgical gloves, eyeglass repair kits, one of my old Gerber multi-tools (They are the shizzle. better than a Swiss Army knife IMHO.) These are all tools of her trade. Surgical gloves and Vicks? She on occasion has to go in to some pretty dirty houses as a child abuse/neglect investigator. I'm told that there are houses even dirtier than ours that have walking trails between piles of dirty clothes and cat shit. This makes me feel guilty for not cutting my kids some slack because I stepped on a Lego (muthas hurt).

A day later I had hefted the Interceptor on to its center stand in preparation for doing an oil change. I started removing the side plastic, removed my tank bag, set it aside, then unbolted the the tank to hinge it up for access to the air box so I can clean the K&N filter.

Wait a second!

Jesus Allah Buddha that tank bag is heavy! Indeed, heavier than Princess' purse which I bitched about [inwardly so as not to raise the ire of said princess].

After all of Jessica's R157 Italian red bodywork was back in place and she had gotten her fresh drink of Repsol, Sea Foam misted through the throttle bodies, chain cleaned with #2 diesel and then treated to a fresh coat of Bel Ray, etc, etc, ad nauseum......I decided to puke all of that tank bag's contents out and try to thin it down so as not to feel like the hypocrite I was.

First, the bag: I use a Wolfman Explorer. It is a sloped bag however it expands large enough even with all the sh*t I've got in there to haul a jug of milk home from the store.

I can't say enough about how satisfied I am with my Wolfman tank bag. This is expandable enough to be an overnight touring bag, it will also swallow a gallon of milk or a small bag of groceries. I have no affiliation with Wolfman but I have this bag, one of the touring tail bags, and some other stuff. The zippers he uses are first rate. I have had this bag and used it in all weather conditions for SIX YEARS on 3 different motorcycles and it has yet to fade or jam a zipper. The only reason I have not bought another is that this one simply shows no signs of wear.

The contents:
I tried to eliminate some stuff...I really did. But everything you see puked out here on my 100+ year old kitchen table has a purpose, just like Princess' purse.
Note: I was too lazy to find a different place to put the kid's homework in the 10 o'clock to midnight positions of the table.

OK so here goes......
1. DRUGSTORE.com first aid kit..which I hope to never use

2. Gerber

3. BMW summer rain gloves. I treat these with Skotchgard twice/year. They have yet to leak. They have a nifty little squeegee sewn in to the left index finger for your visor.

4. bandanna

5. analog GPS

6. The Magic box.......contains CO2 tire inflation cartridges, metric fastener assortment, wire butt splice connectors, etc. Also has a fuse assortment, spare halogen and signal bulbs.

7. What you can't read the pouch?

8. Honda toolkit.

9. Schwinn bike repair tool kit...has all the metric sockets and allens I could ever need for this motorcycle. Color coordinated too!

10. LED head lamps...Look, Maglites are great but if you're alone, stranded on the side of a dark highway, who's going to hold it for you? No one. You need a light that straps to your head so the light is wherever you're looking.

11. Tire gauge

12. Crescent wrench...these are basically useless for turning bolts on precision Japanese or German motorcycles but work OK on Harley fasteners. It also has enough mass to use as a hammer if necessary.

13. Cheap-assed digital voltmeter for electrical problems. This bag also has some cable ties. You NEVER know when you're going to need cable ties.

14. Chase Harper Bungee Buddy This is one of those things that is so incredibly handy you just can't do without. I prefer it to the traditional cargo netting .

15. Rok Straps

16. That's the rain cover for the tank bag.

And no, I did not find a way to lighten the load...
Every item in this bag I've had to use at some time or another. Sometimes for myself; other times for some other stranded motorcyclist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

My tank bag is a joe rocket manta...

I carry a lens cleaning cloth, a wiping rag, my IPOD, some gum, a j-box cover to put under my sidestand, a tire gauge, a pen & notepad, an LED head-light, my sunglasses case with my extra pair of clear safety glasses for nighttime, a pair of surgical gloves,
some electrical tape, a gerber tool, a can of tuna, and maybe one or two other things. I kinda wish it was a little bit bigger so I'd have room for a hat and maybe a book or something...perhaps I'll buy a bigger tank bag with my tax refund.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 18 Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i have a smaller "manta" bag i bought from someone on here for $25.... usually i only use it for longer rides and i put my wallet my cell phone and a loaded .45auto in there to complement the .45 auto i have in a IWB holster... or the .32auto in my front pocket or inside jacket pocket....

i used to put my ipod in it but i quit wearing the ipod because of hearing damage......

so now i wear ear plugs.... i keep a couple new pairs in the bag also....

your bag is awesome and truly well planned out for pretty much any emergency...

+15 man points....

+5 extra for having a vfr....

post #4 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I'll have to get mine and empty it to see. I've collected quite a few things over the years.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Milites Gregarius

You mean the dealer lied to me?
He said the tool kit that came with the bike had everything I would ever need!!!
And it all fits neatly in a little pouch under the seat.

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #6 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

I use the Rapid Transit Abrams Tank Bag purchased new on NewEnough.com for $17. Since I use my bike most frequently for commuting back and forth from work, I do not carry spare spark plugs, tools, etc. except on a longer trip. I do carry my lunch bag, Gerber multi-tool, rain gear, ipod, spare gloves, and Balaclava. I really love the tank bag and with the built in rain cover, it is completely water proof. This is the same bag on one of my buddy's Speed Triple.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #7 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

a zippy bag with the Vic's Kleenexes, can of chain lube, spare change, pens, notepad, pencil, tire gauge, a few rags, squirt-sized glass cleaner, squeegee for my visor that velcro's around my glove finger, thin mints, chap stick, a few random handy tools(combo allen wrenches at least), a bag of cheesey electrical connectors, mini-tire plug kit, 12v pump(long rides only) occasionally the MP3 player and/or GPS, usually a map for a state i'm not in. I can also fit a 6 pack of bottles in it. just in case it's gonna be an overnighter somewhere. maybe i should get a GW with bags and a trailer...

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
just ride it...

I usually carry my phone, Camera, and GPS in a little waterproof box in my tank bag, sometimes my MP3 player, usually it (the tank bag) only goes on long rides, I usually have my cortech sport tail bag on the bike...

post #9 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

I put my lunch in it when i go to work, fork, spoon, knife, my water-proof pants, pressure gauge, a good set of metric Allen keys and a good long Phillips screwdriver

post #10 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I have a Nelson Rigg SSC-110 tank bag for the Bandit. I like the contoured look and prefer a tank bag that is just big enough to hold what I need without being so big that I can't see my instrument panel.

The side compartments hold the bag's rain cover in one side and a Leatherman tool in the other.

The map pocket is detachable but I usually have it attached, with a half dozen or so maps of different areas of western New York, northern Pennsylvania, and the Adirondack Mountains. The leading edge of the map pocket has a couple strips of 3M DuoLock for an E-ZPass transmitter. I've been known to go out for a ride, decide to keep riding, and end up 400 miles from home riding in the mountains and too far from home to get back the same day

Inside the bag:
1. Sunglasses
2. Ear plugs
3. Microfiber cloth
4. Chapstick
5. Aspirin
6. Medical Alert Card
7. Business cards
8. Pen & Notebook
9. Digital camera
10. Flip video camera
11. Motorola Droid
12. Wallet
13. Gum
14. Microsoft Zune
15. Klipsch Image S4 earbuds
16. Spare bike key
17, House keys
18. Visine
19. Tire pressure gauge
20. Granola bars
21. Hidden fifty dollar bill

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

RE:

And a spare headlight bulb. Also take a small dowel rod and wrap about 3 feet of duct tape. I have a half size swiss knife that has regular parking in my left pants pocket.

[
post #12 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

RE:

My wife's Church group had a purse game at a recent Women's Conference. They weighed all the purses. The lightest was 3 1/2 lbs, Dian's was 5 1/2 lbs, and the winner was 9 1/2 lbs. Some had admitted that a few items were removed before coming to the Conference.

[
post #13 of 18 Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

and a partridge in a pear treeeeee....

post #14 of 18 Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I don't have a tank bag, but I am rocking a Cortech Sport Tailbag...

- Spare Visor (usually the clear one is in the bag)
- Microfiber Rag
- Air Pressure Gauge
- Cargo Net
- Cable Lock
- Balaclava
- Rain Gloves
- Bag Rain Cover
- Multi-Tool
- Cell Phone Charger

Right now I have some extra junk in there...
- Thermal Liners (for my gear)
- Small Mower Parts
- Video Camera Bag
- DC to AC Adapter
- DIY Camera Mount

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-04-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Excellent replies everyone! You've made me feel like less of a gear-whore now.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Excellent replies everyone! You've made me feel like less of a gear-whore now.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

gear whore! or not. everything has it's place, and you are prepared. how many times have you been riding with your buddies when out comes the phrase "i needa..."?

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Tank bag: Flashlight, pad & pen, pressure gauge, gum, spare change, bottle of water, wallet, phone, smokes & lighter, helmet holder extension, spare key, kickstand pad, and a few other miscellaneous items. Now for the Givis, I'd have to take everything out to itemize but the important things are: tire plug and inflation kit, first aid kit, jacket and pants liners, towels, cargo net, more water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode