What would you do? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

What would you do?

So while I was out with my wife tonight we came across a guy with no riding gear and a Kawasaki Ninja dumped over on the side of the road. The bike was on its side deep in some tall grass and he is leaning against a sign post, his shoulder obviously bothering him. We pull over and ask if he is ok and if he wants us to call an ambulance the guy keeps saying he is ok and doesn't want the cops called.

I was able to get the bike back on the kick stand and told his friend where he could find him and then we left. About 10 seconds after leaving him I called the cops anyways. Something didn't seem right, I figured with my luck it was stolen and now has my prints on it.

Just wondering if you guys would have done anything differently?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Immune

If you offered to call and ambulance, and he replied with "I don't want the cops called" That say's a whole lot... He definitely was doing something wrong. I would say best case scenario he was driving without a license.

post #3 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Tirone

I think you probably did the best anyone could do in a situation like that. It does indeed sound sketchy...

Don't worry about the prints man. The absolute worst that could happen is you're asked to show up at a court date from your prints. Your wife was with you as a second witness.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Discen

Probably riding without a license or insurance .

I laid down one of my previous bikes and also requested the same from helping folk (no insurance at the time) just got back on and rode it home.

post #5 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 AM
MSF blacksheep

I would have given him a card with msf class info on it.

post #6 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I tell people not to call the cops anytime I've wrecked in the past. I have my license and insurance but if the cops come and write up the incident, you can get a ticket and they will report the accident to your insurance company causing your rates to go up even if you don't claim anything.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #7 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
I would have given him a card with msf class info on it.

Damn it. I need that CARD!

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #8 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Awesomeness Dispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
If you offered to call and ambulance, and he replied with "I don't want the cops called" That say's a whole lot... He definitely was doing something wrong.
Nonsense. He just doesn't want his insurance to go up. That's reasonable.

It also saves your title on the bike from getting salvaged.

Why would you automatically assume something illegal was going on? Sure, he's probably a full-blown squid and out of his league, but I would have said the same thing if it were me. If I was generally ok, operational, and there was no one else involved, I wouldn't want the cops called either. That's just a matter of keeping things simpler.

Street/Track Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 White
Retired: 2004 Honda 599 Asphalt
Wheels: '98 CBR900RR Rear, '97 CBR600F3 Front
Rizoma® Mods: Frame sliders | 22mm bar | Sportline grips | Bar ends + sliders | Radial Naked mirrors | Rearsets | Crankcase Slider
Other Mods: Pazzo Shorties | Michelin Power Pure | CustomLED Integrated Taillight | Fasst Co. Bar Weights | Ducati Turn Signals
post #9 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I probably would have helped him get the bike upright and done what I could for him. I most likely would not have called the cops figuring it's none of my business and went on my way. If I found out later it was a stolen bike I would have felt bad for the owner but figure he would have reported it anyway and had his insurance take care of it. Even if he got it back it was dumped and probably damaged and his insurance would have to fix it either way.

On a side note Firechicken37, I'm from Elgin too.

post #10 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

tough call, you did what you thought was best, dont worry bout it!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #11 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Immune

"Nonsense. He just doesn't want his insurance to go up. That's reasonable.

It also saves your title on the bike from getting salvaged."

True, I can accept that. (I didn't think of that)

I will add though that I've been in two situations where a simular request was made (not to involve law enforcement) and in each situation it wasn't to keep their insurance rates low

post #12 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Rich

If the bike was stolen, he wouldn't have stuck around after he dumped it. The fact that you helped him with the bike, then called the cops (who undoubtedly will nail him for something), is rather interesting.

post #13 of 25 Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Former 919er

Change the scenario a bit where the rider was fully geared (non-squid). Would anyone call the police?

You did what seemed right at the time. We can't judge because we can't get the gut feel that you can only really get by being there. Don't worry about it.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
8th bike and 2nd 919!

Done deal. No regrets

On my 2nd niner! 2wheels are better than 4
post #15 of 25 Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You obviously weighed the possibilities correctly.

If he was hurt and didn't have a way to call an ambulance then it would've been to his advantage that you pulled over. You covered yourself from possible legal issues by calling the cops, so even if you might've caused his insurance rate to go up or got him a ticket, I think it's fair to that say you trying to help outweighs you getting him in trouble with the law.

And how do you know that he wasn't already out of there by the time the cops showed up?

post #16 of 25 Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechicken37 View Post
... I figured with my luck it was stolen and now has my prints on it...
Honestly, no police are going to run prints on a wrecked, possibly stolen motorcycle unless the pilot shot a cop or something. There just isn't a return on investment for department resources.

Either way if you feel you did the right thing, then you did the right thing.

post #17 of 25 Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Honestly, no police are going to run prints on a wrecked, possibly stolen motorcycle unless the pilot shot a cop or something. There just isn't a return on investment for department resources.

Either way if you feel you did the right thing, then you did the right thing.

He didn't have bloody clothes on or anything? Maybe a dead cop bungeed to the seat???

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #18 of 25 Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Aquilifer

You stopped to make sure he was OK.

That's better than most people woulda done.

post #19 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I agree with the Canuck. We can't judge your actions without having more information or having been there. He could be an honest guy who was embarrassed for spilling it. He could also be a criminal or anything in between. You say "something didn't seem right" and so called it in. Forget it and sleep easy.

post #20 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Pilus Posterior

It may not have been stolen. Possibly he had been having sex with it (thus no riding gear) and put his shoulder out flipping the bike over to a new position.

These things can happen, and heck you don't want to have to explain it to the cops.

Knowing how loose Kawasaki's are you are lucky it did not have a crack at you when you man handled it! Imagine having to explain that to your wife!

post #21 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Tirone

Its hard to tell what would I do in this situation.. Yes this story look a bit suspicious but it is hard to judge with so few details/facts. You do what you felt best according of the situation and most important like curiousmike said, you stopped to make sure he was okay and help him lift his bike and its a lot more than everyone else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarx View Post
Nonsense. He just doesn't want his insurance to go up. That's reasonable.
Just asking.. I'm not really into usa law and everything..

Just by calling cops that will make your insurance increase?? Even if no one or anything is involved other than the bike?

Do it once, do it right!
Famous last words: Hold my beer and watch this!
post #22 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

If you felt the need to call, your instincts told you to. Plain and simple. Sleep easy, you rendered assistance and followed your gut. Besides, you really think you'll ever see him again? Probably not. Dave

Are we having fun yet?
post #23 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

You did the right thing. Regardless of the guys reason or whether he was doing something right or wrong the cops needed to be notified (No they are not going to bother to run prints on a bike period), but the ambulance service may not have showed up in a timely manner whereas the police might and could help provide care or evaluate the situation for him etc.

Chances are he didn't want them involved for insurance reasons or lack of license, but ya know what. To hell with all that he needs a little extra incentive to get his shit together and learn from his mistakes. Riding without gear is just dumb and crashing on the street is usually a result of riding over your head and truthfully is inexcusable! I know cause I have done it more than once and every time I was doing something stupid that I shouldn't have been doing. So let him pay the penalty for his lack of judgement.

post #24 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I had an accident a few years back (hit a curb, totaled the bike) where no one else was involved. My insurance agent told me my rates wouldn't go up because of an accident.
I've got State Farm - have 2 vehicles, 2 motorcycles, home owners & life insurance through them so that could make a difference I suppose, but I kinda doubt it.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Why not?

This exact same thing happened to my brother in-law, he was in from out of town and was borrowing his friends bike. we were supposed to meat up and go golfing yesterday. i arrived at the golf course and waited for some time for him to show up eventually i see him riding up in gym shorts and flip flops. i am thinking in my head what a moron he knows better than to ride in shorts and flip flops (though he did have a jacket and helmet on). so i hop out of my car and see blood running down his legs and his feet all torn to sheds. i popped open my trunk to take my first aid kit out and my wife had taken it out. so i asked him if he wanted me to take him to the hospital and he being the "man" he is told me no. so i drove him to his parents house and cleaned him up.
he told me that he was getting of the freeway and on to an old highway that has a sweeping turn which is usually no problem to go around but the state has been doing road work in the area and there was a ton of gravel on the road. so he went down, lost some skin, and jammed his shoulder.
he told the people that stopped to help that he was fine and did not want the police to be called. he said he didnt want the headache that would come if the police had been called.
i think in your case the best answer would be to follow your gut. i was not there so i can not say either way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode