What does "turn your key 6 times" mean? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

What does "turn your key 6 times" mean?

@16:42 he tells the guy "turn your key 6 times", I haven't heard that before, does it have something to do with resetting the electronics after a crash and is it bike specific or for most all bikes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmqiG54Aaw

@16:42 he tells the guy "turn your key 6 times", I haven't heard that before, does it have something to do with resetting the electronics after a crash and is it bike specific or for most all bikes?
How did you manage to sit through it that long to even get to that point?

post #3 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Tirone

Garage
That channel has some SERIOUS squid action. The guy was going 197 on public roads at one time in that video, weaving through traffic, jesus.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volumetrik View Post
That channel has some SERIOUS squid action. The guy was going 197 on public roads at one time in that video, weaving through traffic, jesus.
I think he got a ticket for passing a cop. Yea, these people are looking for an accident.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Tirone

Idiots. Seriously, itís fools like these that make us all look bad.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Milites Gregarius

A lot of motovloggers pop up in my YouTube feed, for obvious reasons.

There are a few of the freeway bandito types I don’t mind watching (like 650ib) but mainly stay away from them and watch the stuff that actually has something informative to share or shows skilled riding.

Max Wrist is one of the worst and the few times I have watched I just spend the whole time cringing.
I think he once wrecked a borrowed slingshot and tried to blame it on the machine.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Everyone is bashing the video for it's content, but nobody is answering the question about 6 turns.

I don't ride like that, I've watched all kinds of fail videos, I like the ones where they show the accidents because you can see where they screwed up, I just never heard of turning a key 6 times.

Someone mentioned it's a way to reset the system after a fall.

What is the correct way of resetting the 919 after a fall?

post #8 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Tirone

I could not find anything in the repair manual that instructs to do that. However, it occurred to me that the only logical reason for it would be to purge air picked up in the fuel system as a result of being on its side. I do this as a force of habit on any fuel injected vehicle Iím working on where Iíve had the fuel system open.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Everyone is bashing the video for it's content, but nobody is answering the question about 6 turns. I just never heard of turning a key 6 times.

From personal experience I know that the in the case of the 919 the key has to be turned off and back on to start after a tipover. That's just once, not six times. I cannot comment on doing it more than once, though it may be necessary on other Fi bikes.

I think the other responses covered the actions of the riders in the video quite well.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
From personal experience I know that the in the case of the 919 the key has to be turned off and back on to start after a tipover. That's just once, not six times. I cannot comment on doing it more than once, though it may be necessary on other Fi bikes.

I think the other responses covered the actions of the riders in the video quite well.

Rob
I only had one accident where the bike didn't start and it was years ago. I had the bike towed home and IIRC, it might have been the red kill switch on the right side. I don't use the red kill switch and might not have checked it, but I really don't remember.

I thought someone here would know, I thought all EFI vehicles had to have some safety switch, maybe it's auto reset.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Everyone is bashing the video for it's content, but nobody is answering the question about 6 turns.

I don't ride like that, I've watched all kinds of fail videos, I like the ones where they show the accidents because you can see where they screwed up, I just never heard of turning a key 6 times.

As rob said... assuming it's not wrecked to the point of not running, turn the key off and back on and you should be good to go. The 919 doesn't have anything special going on that would require resetting after a crash.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
A lot of motovloggers pop up in my YouTube feed, for obvious reasons.

There are a few of the freeway bandito types I don’t mind watching (like 650ib) but mainly stay away from them and watch the stuff that actually has something informative to share or shows skilled riding.

Max Wrist is one of the worst and the few times I have watched I just spend the whole time cringing.
I think he once wrecked a borrowed slingshot and tried to blame it on the machine.
650 ib actually came out in my area and got his race licence a couple years ago and did a couple races. He was pretty slow, but I still have to give him props for getting out to the track and not just being a "freeway bandito."

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #13 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Tirone

Garage
MaxWrist is my favorite motorcycle content on youtube. It allows me to live vicariously without risking my life lol. I get a nice adrenaline buzz during the winter while my bike's stored watching his content. It's unfortunate seeing the recent crashes at his meets, and it's simply people not riding within their means. Maxy and Wristy are professionals, and when amateurs try to hang with them, they end up with crashes. It's not so much Maxy's and Wristy's fault, but the riders that think they can hang with them when they're in their area.

In regards to the 6 turns, it's usually to reset the tilt sensor. Newer bikes have a sensor that will kill the bike if it's dropped, and the 6 turns is probably so you can intentionally reset it. Although with most bikes, just turning it off and back on again should fix it.

2003 Honda 919 in Smoke, LED headlight, Renthal Ultra Lows, DanMoto Carbon GP exhaust, CustomLED integrated tail light, LED switchback front signals, PAIR delete, flapper mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode