Welcoming a new rider - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Welcoming a new rider

Received a great email from my cousin the other day letting me know he had gotten his motorcycle license and was looking for his first bike. I am thrilled because I am the ONLY person in my entire immediate and extended family that rides motorcycles, so it'll at least give me someone to understand my addiction at family reunions!

Anyway, thought I'd seek out all your input on what might be a good bike for him. He's a bigger guy, 6' 3" 250 and is looking for something of a sport-tourer that is good for distance rides that he and his fiance can take. He has a limited budget of $4k and I'm just not quite sure what to suggest to him. All of the 'first bike' suggestions I can think of don't involve sport-touring/cruisers. I'm sure he'd be open to different styles of bikes so I don't want to exclude anything here, except Harley's.

He lives in Omaha, Nebraska in case there is anyone on here in that area.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM
The Cripple

tell him to get a 919.... lol.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Señor Calamares

Does he need a "learner" bike?

Being a noob and taking people out for rides is probably not a good idea.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

A 1980 Honda GL1100 standard. A brother-in-law bought one for $800. Never owned a bike before. He's already done a carb sync and adjusted valve clearance. He loves it.

The point of above is look around the area classifieds and maybe find an old beater to spend at least 1 season on.

After that,
FZ1,
Vstrom,
VFR,
2nd Gen Nighthawk,
SV1000,
Bandit 1200,

hell there's lots of stuff. But, like finding the "right" pistol, get him to try them on. What looks good on paper may not fit.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #5 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
lusting over something...

ST1100...bulletproof, and built in framesliders.

post #6 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Brain stolen again?

V-Strom 1000

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #7 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM
lusting over something...

...we should also tell him what kind of oil he should use. Personally, I'm a fan of Rotella Synth. /derail

post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
...we should also tell him what kind of oil he should use. Personally, I'm a fan of Rotella Synth. /derail
Seriously, what are you using ? T6 ? Or T5 from Canadian Tire ? Or T Triple Protection or T3 or T1 or old T ? Rotella is a mine field if one does not know what T they are looking for. Only T6 and T Triple Protection are JASO MA oils. The T6 is a 5W40 and the T T TP is a 15W40. Just in case you or anyone else is wondering. My research on Rotella took much longer than I figured it would, no wonder with the wide range that exists.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Princeps Prior

yep ---- my votes goes to.......

Vstrom 650 or a nicely setup Honda 919.

Heres the Vstrom 650....

The kicker here is --- he's 250 lbs..... which means he probably should have a larger bike. Unfortunately a larger more powerful bike and being a beginner don't go hand in hand. Otherwise I'd be saying a Suzuki SV650, Honda 599, or maybe a Yamaha FZ6.

Ya know..... an older model 1996-1998 Honda VFR 800 might be just the bike for him......

post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
McTavish

I'm partial to 919s. And you can find them cheap, and use the left over for a Corbin or Sargeant seat for legit two up distance riding comfort.
Nice to have a first bike that is not too heavy, so the 919 fits in, while a Suzuki Bandit does not.
Or a nice golden oldie if one can be found, old Suzuki GSs and Kawasakis of the nominal one litre inline 4 variety.

Up above, FlyCather said: The point of above is look around the area classifieds and maybe find an old beater to spend at least 1 season on.

Very astute comment !

post #11 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Find a cheap beater for the first season and NO PASSENGERS until, after riding with him, you feel he is ready. My first bike was an XS400, I looked like a polar bear humping a football but it was a good choice to learn on, not too fast and it didn't handle very well, you wouldn't want to push it.

post #12 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

True, he should not be riding with passengers for a while. The Suzuki 650 twins are gentle on power, and should be able to scoot his butt plenty. He can dump it off easily after this season, if he wants to bump up. I have read that big guys and their passengers do just fine on the Wee's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode