post #1 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

We can't always get what we want

Stumbled on this nice little machine, called a "CB750" in Japan

Seems to have a touch of the old CBX styling in it, nice machine.

Honda | バイク | CB750 | フォトライブラリー

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

That's nice!
We never get the good stuff here. Seems like all the latest & greatest bikes never make it overseas.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
I think we as a forum need to make a petition and send to American Honda. They'd never make as much on a CB750 than they would on a VTX or some other damn thing, but giving the people what they want creates loyalty. Maybe we need to remind them of that. For me, the 919 is the only newer bike that struck my fancy. Underseat pipes, naked styling... no more v-twins or adult scooters.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand

post #4 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

That sounds like a good idea although the "big guys" in power never seem to understand that. It seems like for a while now the manufacturers have been catering to the chopper & cruiser style crowd. They seem to think that Americans only like that style of bike or full on sport bikes and touring bikes. While the classic/retro style bikes might not sell as well as the full super bikes or cruiser/chopper bikes I think they are ignoring a whole segment of the market that contributes a lot of dollars to their bottom line.
The popularity of shows like American Chopper only contribute to this belief.
While I do find cruisers, choppers and that type of bike visually appealing and nice bikes in their own right my personal preference is for the classicly styled naked bike like the 919 and the old school CB750 pictured above as well as the CB1300, which we can not get here either, and the now defunct CB1000F.
In 1998 when I finally traded in my beloved 1982 Nighthawk 750 (CB750SC) I could not find any CB1000F's anywhere and the only other bike that was close was the Kawasaki ZRX1100 but when I went to the motorcycle show I was told they weren't bringing that to the U.S at that time, although they eventually did but by that time I had purchased a Triumph Trident 900 which was a very nice bike and was a naked also. Unfortunately that got totalled in 2007 and thus my purchase of the 919 which had the styling and performance I wanted.

post #5 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Immune

Sold! I'll take the one in the last pic.

The problem with us getting these bikes in the US is the demand. We have to face it, the younger guys all want the latest race replica sportbike while the dentists and lawyers what a big fat cruiser. People who like a standard bike are in the minority these days.

I got my 919 at a steal in 05. It was a leftover 04 and the dealer wanted rid of it bad. I know another dealer that had a brand new '02 all the way into '08. These type bikes just don't sell well here.

post #6 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan919 View Post
I got my 919 at a steal in 05. It was a leftover 04 and the dealer wanted rid of it bad. I know another dealer that had a brand new '02 all the way into '08. These type bikes just don't sell well here.
Yeah , I was at a dealer the other day to get oil & stuff and he still had a new 2007 on the floor.

post #7 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The 919 is a better bike.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

post #8 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
The 919 is a better bike.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Correction: The 919 is a different bike

I've always considered the 919 to be the ultimate "modernized" UJM with a slightly sporting biased.

The CB750 is far more a "retro" UJM - Heck, it is the same as it ever was, the same as it ever was -

Here, crank it up -

Same as it ever was, starting at 1:45

Not sure if any of my comments make any sense to anyone but myself, but there you have it, my first contribution of the day.

post #9 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 04:51 AM
Ballaholic

what does "ujm" mean?

post #10 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
what does "ujm" mean?
"Universal Japanese Motorcycle"

Definition of UJM

UJM's used to be what sold, they were "the" machine -

back in the day......

post #11 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Correction correction. The 919 is a better bike.

I had one of those things, kind of. I put 37,000 miles on an `81 900F. Had it for 17 years. I posted a pic of it on here back when. My old 900F supposidly weighed 527 pounds, dry. That's about 100 pounds heavier than the 919. It made less HP. The 750s of the day made less than 80hp. Carbs were a PITA to re-jet as opposed to a PowerCommander, didn't handle as well, had crude suspention, had weak coils, brakes weren't as good. The engines weren't as long lasting as the new H20 cooled ones.

That old retro 750 pertty cool to look at, but you can have that old crap.

post #12 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
CG

Quote:

I had one of those things, kind of. I put 37,000 miles on an `81 900F. Had it for 17 years. I posted a pic of it on here back when. My old 900F supposidly weighed 527 pounds, dry. That's about 100 pounds heavier than the 919. It made less HP. The 750s of the day made less than 80hp. Carbs were a PITA to re-jet as opposed to a PowerCommander, didn't handle as well, had crude suspention, had weak coils, brakes weren't as good. The engines weren't as long lasting as the new H20 cooled ones.

+1

Now if they built something with that retro look but modern design features like liquid cooling & modern suspension, I think there might be a serious market for it. But few people who care about more than appearance will buy something that's technologically obsolete just to have the look.

Oh wait, that's the cruiser crowd. Maybe they can sell them something that's obsolete but goes, stops, and steers better than a 800 lb. turd.

post #13 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

I am old crap

post #14 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
I am old crap
I guess according to my tastes, so am I. And I'm only 23!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #15 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I see alittle olskool CB1000/1100 in it too.

Those pics are byootiful. I wish more bikes had sane styling like this one.

I am 39.

post #16 of 23 Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDJAM View Post
I see alittle olskool CB1000/1100 in it too.

Those pics are byootiful. I wish more bikes had sane styling like this one.

I am 39.
You know what, it really makes me wonder, what if the latest CB1100 was closer to this model?

You're right, a see a lot of the older models in it as well.

post #17 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Honda should have painted 919s like those old 750s. ^ Instead, they chose to throw a bucket of primer at the 919 for it's first 2 years here in the US.

post #18 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM
new 919 pilot

I really like the first bike. Maybe when its time to repaint the niner I could use that scheme. I can see some 919 parts on these bikes. Those 6 spoke wheels in gold or that metallic grey look great, maybe we can order those from Japan (should they fit the 919). Another bike we can't have here....damnitall.

post #19 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
+1

Now if they built something with that retro look but modern design features like liquid cooling & modern suspension, I think there might be a serious market for it. But few people who care about more than appearance will buy something that's technologically obsolete just to have the look.

Oh wait, that's the cruiser crowd. Maybe they can sell them something that's obsolete but goes, stops, and steers better than a 800 lb. turd.
That's exactly what I've been banging on about in the CB1100 thread. There's a difference between still producing a 80's motorcycle with 80's technology (inside and out) - basically what I call a replica and a geniune retro. Retro to me means old school look / flavour, kitted out with modern technology and to some extent modern cosmetics, a balanced blend between the 2. When will they finally put the really old, obsolete technology to rest that they have been milking for the last 30 years, and move on?

We get the CB1300 here and its a sweet looking machine. Really nice liquid cooled 1300cc motor with a 5 speed gearbox.

post #20 of 23 Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Formerly ASYNC

I used to have a CB900F back in the day, looks like like it with different paint.

post #21 of 23 Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Pilus Posterior

Yep the CB1300 is available in NZ - nice bike, excellent tourer, a huge grunter. Water cooled but still 'retro' ish.

That 750 looks very much like the 750's we got yonks ago!

I read an article that the Japanese are obsessed with the early 80's 'look' as they were not able to get those bikes in Japan due to regulations at the time and now that they can desire them.

In reality there is a reason things have changed - water cooling, mono shocks etc etc.

post #22 of 23 Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Discen

3500 miles after trading my pristine CB750 for my 919, I remain convinced that there remains no comparison; Icarus wins in every category. The combo of styling, power, suspension, as well as the fact that not just every suburban dentist has one to annoy the blue hairs on the weekend, makes it hands down the winner for me. Planning a trip to Colorado, there is no other bike I would rather have for crossing the panhandle then carving the mountain passes; would I like some wind protection? sometimes... but then I remember that the wind is one of the reasons I ride in the first place. I have had the hots for a Triumph Street Triple since the day they were announced, until I saw one parked side be side with my 919 at the shop; the looks and performance were so close that it made me wonder why all of the MC press have been dry humping the Triple while calling the 919 "anemic"... don't get me wrong, the Triumph is a VERY nice bike, but with that comes insurance issues, dealer support, etc. The 919 is as close to an Italian exotic as this Arkansas hillbilly will ever get. thus endeth the sermon, the offering plate will now be passed to raise funds for a set of SAto rearsets, please give from the bottom of yore hearts... wow, no more coffee for me this AM.

post #23 of 23 Old 08-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Cornicen

We get tons of the cb 400 super four down here Along the lines of the cb 750. Common as muck but great all-rounders. Pretty sophisticated engines (Vtec spec III's) for an old-school standard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda CB400 Super four 05 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode