Watch out for the BC birds….. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

Watch out for the BC birds…..

http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/b...290/story.html

Well that proves it I guess silver is faster than red.

Fisrt group.

I wonder when the chopper pilot said he had them for 40km over if he was using a stop watch and mile markers or was he deploying the radar laser gun from above?

That pass on the bridge I think was the double yellow very difficult to get perspective on that but it was a more than a few second count before oncoming traffic. I wonder what their visibility was there and if the double yellow was just because it was a bridge? Does anyone know that stretch of road in particular?

200Kph is just a whisper over 120Mph. Light traffic no right hand lane passing and no tailgating but definitely pushing it with the last two cages before the stop.

Not saying right or wrong just saying with the first two. Congratulations silver makes it to the check point busted first.

Second group the three riders.

Again the chopper piolit says “I got three bikes doing a buck eighty” I wonder if that is by laser radar or stop watch? Then latter the pilot says he was doing at least 180. So I am thinking stopwatch and mile markers?

Again in this group I did not see any aggressive traffic weaving.
Got to love the Mounties standing in the road way though. “this way please” go Mounties they have no fear.

Third group of two.

Definite no/no’s here lane high speed splitting and traffic aggression right hand lane passing without dues hesitation for left slow traffic to move right.

Anyway not saying right or wrong but other than the last group I am not seeing anything “reckless”.

No stand up wheelies either and such light traffic as well.

For the record I do not endorse a speed that is “relatively” substantially higher than the flow of traffic even in light traffic for your own safety. But I do know I am gettinfgf me a Canadian mounted patrol sticker.

Any BC folks know if this war radar from above or the stopwatch?

Did you see that?!Did you see that!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 PM
lusting over something...

look it's rickard!

post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

he said they where doing 120 in the bird and the third group was pulling away from them in a 70....Not sure how scientific that is to calculate speed but hey the Canadians have a better school system then we do!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
look it's rickard!
That's funny James. I was recently out that way and travel at those speeds but was not on that highway.

Spoiler:

post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

That's just not even fair.

I agree with the OP. Most of the guys were driving 'fast' but most were running under 80 MPH on large, open highways where the speed limit was 45? What's with the slow speed limits? The guy in the chopper was also talking 30 day suspended license and instant impound? I'd also say the riders were very compliant. They could have just blown past the guys standing in the road but they chose to pull over.

Speeding tickets are just ways to generate revenue.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Former 919er

Scary stuff. Lot's of impounding going on.

In my province, it's instant impound and one week suspension for anything 50km/h (32 mph) over the posted limit. Then you have a day (or days) in court, large fines and insurance hikes. You also have the humiliation of having to call someone to come pick you up. As we all know, 50km/h over is very easy to do.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Former 919er

BTW - I don't know if it is the same in the States, but up here police are considered expert witnesses who have a court-acceptable, super-hero capability to estimate vehicle speeds. At least they did 20 years ago.

I did a field placement with the local PD back in college and my coach officer and I were doing a speed trap so that he could get his quota. He told me about the expert thing and we decided to have a little game to see how well we could guess speeds of passing cars without looking at the gun. I was consistently more accurate than him....just saying.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Hastatus Posterior

What a bunch of sour, acid, venomous twits. The guy in the chopper seems to be enjoying himself, rather than being horrified. If he really believed in what he was doing (thinking he's making the world a safer place) he would have been mortified rather than revelling in what he deemed to me dangerous riding or behaviour. I also like the way he's estimating their speed, unless he had some sophisticated radar equipment available.

Ya, those bikers where running past kindergartens, dodging children and puppies crossing the street...give me a break!

It’s on a virtually empty highway out in the middle of the sticks.

How many real crimes were committed that day? How many assaults, burglaries, rapes & murders were committed whilst these twits where taking scenic flights and drives at tax payer’s expense?! Instead of using these resources to persecute and criminalise a couple of bikers (in all likelihood otherwise good, honest tax paying guys) having fun out in the sticks, I would have thought that it could have been put to better use, you know, like catching the aforementioned real criminals. Or is it that they have solved all the murders, rapes and assaults and none of these are occurring anymore?
And it's not just Canada that’s like this, it seems to be part of the PC cancer that is part and parcel of the English speaking Common Wealth countries.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I think the guy in the Helo is a rider listen to the jargon he is using. I am sure this guy has been out and gone over the 50KPH more than a few times himself. A few times he was excited to see them go that fast. I took that excitement as wanting to be out there and not "HAHA I got you now my pretty" excitement. I agree with Farab. The amount of time and money spent to do that was just plain wasteful when compared to drugs and other vices they could have gone after with the help of a Helo.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
Scary stuff. Lot's of impounding going on.

In my province, it's instant impound and one week suspension for anything 50km/h (32 mph) over the posted limit. Then you have a day (or days) in court, large fines and insurance hikes. You also have the humiliation of having to call someone to come pick you up. As we all know, 50km/h over is very easy to do.
Um, being the picky sort I can be from time to time, that would actually be 31.07 MPH.
Metrification absolutely SUX !
Back in the good ole days (Burlington Ontario) it was in excess of 30 MPH that got one in the deep doo doo zone with the heat. Taxes have gone up, and speed limit serious penalty thresholds have gone down. Oh, for the days of yesteryear, but I'll keep modern oils, unleaded fuels, and computerized fuel injection, and tires too, and ...... and...... and.....

post #11 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

Well have yet to get my Canadian Mounted Patrol sticker not that it might get me a free pass anyway...

BUT: what I would really like to know is, was the chopper using laser radar gun or mile markers and a stop watch?

That could be a useful thing to know.

Any BC riders out there?

post #12 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I know Foggy is from Vancouver. Hopefully he chimes in here. My guess is stopwatch.

Spoiler:

post #13 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I know that stretch of road well. It's the Fury Creek hill. Big straight stretch, and there is no where to run, you could drop your bike and run into the woods but that's about it. The ocean is on one side and a steep mountain is on the other.

The chopper has a camera, they put the crosshairs on the target and the computer does the math.

It's a long weekend up here right now, this is the time to have 10x the regular enforcement on the road looking for speeders. Anyone on that stretch of road, at that time of day on a long weekend has painted a traget on their back. You'd have better luck of getting away scott free wearing an Osama costume at a SEAL halloween party.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
I know that stretch of road well. It's the Fury Creek hill. Big straight stretch, and there is no where to run, you could drop your bike and run into the woods but that's about it. The ocean is on one side and a steep mountain is on the other.

The chopper has a camera, they put the crosshairs on the target and the computer does the math.

It's a long weekend up here right now, this is the time to have 10x the regular enforcement on the road looking for speeders. Anyone on that stretch of road, at that time of day on a long weekend has painted a traget on their back. You'd have better luck of getting away scott free wearing an Osama costume at a SEAL halloween party.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode