Valuable lesson learned for relatively cheap price... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Valuable lesson learned for relatively cheap price...

Heading out on a ride with G00gl3it last night. Before we headed out, we were working on slow moving maneuvers. As we started to head out on the ride, a car decided to U-turn. Me, not paying as much attention as I should have been, did not see g00gl3it stop and I was in mid lean and hit the front brake... there she goes. Bike falls on my left foot pulling my shoe off and hits the ground. Uninjured we lift the bike and take a look at the damages. Tiny dent in gas tank, gear shift lever broke, scraped my bar ends, and broke the end off the clutch. No paint scratches, or broken plastic.

Lesson learned - pay attention always. Wear shoes that tighten and keep distance so I am not caught by surprise.

We were not going very fast, sub 5 mph. But enough to do the quick wake up call and remind me that I am on a powerful machine and there is no time for inattentive behavior.

I lucked out. We were able to drill out the gear shift lever and head out on our 70 mile ride. I am grateful it happened there and not at the spot where 4 deer were hanging out on the road just after a small hill. That could have been a disaster as I am still working on understanding the bike and the braking system, etc...

Chastise as needed. I can take criticism and recommendations for technique. g00gl3it and I chatted for a bit about what to do differently. Lesson learned and glad to be here still.

Fixes will be under $100 unless I feel the need to pay to pop the pin head size dent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM
MSF blacksheep

wear motorcycle specific clothing, straighten THEN brake (if there's room..), oh and look through the turn ...

glad you and your bike are ok... i have a clutch lever, shift lever, and other miscellaneous stock parts if you need them.

post #3 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

A newb I took out this summer did the same kind of thing. Respect riding, yeah?

My buddy's pride was hurt more than anything.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Happened to a noob I was riding with as well. I was stopping for a light and he wasn't paying attention. As I looked in my right mirror for him I saw his bike sliding up beside me. He was running beside it. Luckily he wasn't going fast. Really funny afterwards.

Spoiler:

post #5 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Former 919er

Glad you are ok.

I would strongly encourage considering motorcycle boots rather than just worring about shoes that lace. They too will be lost quickly in many scenarios, leaving your feet very vulnerable. If they do stay on, they don't offer much protection.

At the very least, consider construction boots.

post #6 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by seulment View Post
Heading out on a ride with G00gl3it last night. Before we headed out, we were working on slow moving maneuvers. As we started to head out on the ride, a car decided to U-turn. Me, not paying as much attention as I should have been, did not see g00gl3it stop and I was in mid lean and hit the front brake... there she goes. Bike falls on my left foot pulling my shoe off and hits the ground. Uninjured we lift the bike and take a look at the damages. Tiny dent in gas tank, gear shift lever broke, scraped my bar ends, and broke the end off the clutch. No paint scratches, or broken plastic.

Lesson learned - pay attention always. Wear shoes that tighten and keep distance so I am not caught by surprise.

We were not going very fast, sub 5 mph. But enough to do the quick wake up call and remind me that I am on a powerful machine and there is no time for inattentive behavior.

I lucked out. We were able to drill out the gear shift lever and head out on our 70 mile ride. I am grateful it happened there and not at the spot where 4 deer were hanging out on the road just after a small hill. That could have been a disaster as I am still working on understanding the bike and the braking system, etc...

Chastise as needed. I can take criticism and recommendations for technique. g00gl3it and I chatted for a bit about what to do differently. Lesson learned and glad to be here still.

Fixes will be under $100 unless I feel the need to pay to pop the pin head size dent.
Bummer to hear man, but at least your damage is very small and you are injury free. You live and you learn, appreciate you sharing an embarrassing mistake, gives another new rider (me) something to think about

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #7 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
Glad you are ok.

I would strongly encourage considering motorcycle boots rather than just worring about shoes that lace. They too will be lost quickly in many scenarios, leaving your feet very vulnerable. If they do stay on, they don't offer much protection.

At the very least, consider construction boots.
+1

post #8 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Milites Gregarius

you can pick up some good gears at great prices now the season is near end. or search craigslist for people rid of their stuff for cheap too.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

These things happen...you learned a lesson, so thats to the good. keep your patience with yourself as your going through this learning stage and things like the controls etc begin to form muscle-memory and you no longer need to think before doing.

Construction boots or leather Army boots are much better than sneakers...but remember to tuch the laces into the tops of the boots when you're wearing them (the laces can cause a tangle-hazard)

Good luck, and ride safe!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
These things happen...you learned a lesson, so thats to the good. keep your patience with yourself as your going through this learning stage and things like the controls etc begin to form muscle-memory and you no longer need to think before doing.
That muscle memory has saved my bacon more than once, and sometimes it's tricky to 'train' your muscles to not react the wrong way.

I did the exact same thing Seulment did, but during my motorcycle license riding test. I was just too darn nervous and grabbed that front brake like it was made of gold or something. Locked up the front, my body went too far forward and put me off balance and well, couldn't hold up the bike after that. I was just on my dirtbike at the time, so I only added more character to the bike, but still, doing it in front of 20 others was, yeah, embarrassing. Especially since I'd been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid.

We all gotta learn. And I think the best lesson I learned was pride has got to be put behind survival skills at all times. And it usually takes a little incident like this to teach us that.

Oh, and it was fun drilling out the lever and putting a bolt in anyways! Good mod times!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googl3it
I did the exact same thing Seulment did...

Haven't we all, at some point? Even after we should have known better? It's happened to me in a parking lot as i tried to swoop into a parking spot...suddenly i found myself suffering the ignominy of 'Sleeping Motorcycle Syndrome'

That was quite a while back, but it could happen again one day if i don't stay vigilant and mentally alert.

I did have an incident in Labor day, where i re-learned the importance of caution when parking on a downhill...rolled off the sidestand, Oops!

I'm not too proud to admit it, and learned from it too. It resulted in a new set of chinese billet levers, which i'd been wanting to get anyway... As Vonnegut said, "So it goes".

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
anyway... As Vonnegut said, "So it goes"..
Indeed my friend

one of my fav's

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #13 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Cornicen

When beginning riding, you need some luck on your side to keep from getting killed. As you get more experience, there is less need for luck, but, luck is never bad to have.

The goal is to gain enough experience before your luck runs too low.

post #14 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
When beginning riding, you need some luck on your side to keep from getting killed. As you get more experience, there is less need for luck, but, luck is never bad to have.

You're a wise man. A little practice never hurt anyone...

post #15 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Optio

The panic brake grab is a favorite of new riders. Got me once, too. Another favorite newb trick is to chop the throttle at the first hint of trouble. That can get you in trouble, too.

Respect your front brake, but don't fear it. You can apply brakes in a turn, but you have to be smooth and in control. Takes experience, which you'll acquire one way or another. Obviously, you can't come to a complete stop in midcorner (bike leaned over) without going down one way or another. That's a car driver reflex. On a bike, your choices are to avoid the obstacle or to straighten and then stop. The second option is best for a newly minted rider, which is why they teach it in MSF course.

Pay attention to everything all the time on a bike. That's my advice. Anticipate what bonehead moves others on the road could do, not just what they should do. For example, just this morning a guy on a bike was coming up quickly on a car in the center lane of the freeway. As they passed me, both put on their left blinkers to move to the left lane. Instead of waiting for the car to change lanes and then making his move, the idiot on the bike guns it and zooms around the car to get ahead of him in the left lane. If the car had changed lanes immediately after he put on his blinker -- which a bunch of people do -- the biker would've been taken out, no questions asked. Dude was lucky today. Might not be so lucky tomorrow. That kind of rider is just a casualty waiting to happen. And no gear but a helmet. I wish him luck, but that shit doesn't last forever.

Hang in there. You'll learn

post #16 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Batman

my wife asked me what I thought about on my 3 hour ride today.

I said "not a whole lot, just me and the road, and I'm exhausted."

She looked puzzled. I would try to explain to her, but I just asked how was her day and off we went...

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

The momentary distraction / lack of attention has probably bitten us all at one time or another. Especially when relatively new to riding.
A LOOONG pair of legs in a short Red dress gave me the on the side of the road. If it wasn't for my riding buddy leaning on his horn I would have rear ended the car in front of me in my side of the lane that had stopped to make a left...never saw him. Won't ever do that again.

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #18 of 21 Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXS View Post
The momentary distraction / lack of attention has probably bitten us all at one time or another. Especially when relatively new to riding.
A LOOONG pair of legs in a short Red dress gave me the on the side of the road. If it wasn't for my riding buddy leaning on his horn I would have rear ended the car in front of me in my side of the lane that had stopped to make a left...never saw him. Won't ever do that again.
Explains your avatar....

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 21 Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Explains your avatar....
+1...

post #20 of 21 Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I like this, it smacks of truth.

post #21 of 21 Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

If you don't need construction type work boots don't waste ur money on them, just get the riding boots, work boots that are worth a shit will cost every bit as much as a good pair of riding boots, if you do use work boots, a good pair will work just as good as riding boots .....anyway I just bought a pair of Keens (Wenatchee 8") they are 1 up on regular steel toes, water proof and super comfortable, also come with a 2year warranty
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352144116.673150.jpg

Practice makes perfect, just ride and try not to let goog get ya killed...j/k!

:buell:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode