Unemployment extension - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Unemployment extension

Its not motorcycle related but I don't like the other aholes on the other forums so I wanted to see if we could discuss it here with you aholes that whom I like, for the most part? Lol.

I for one am for it, people have been paying into it they're whole life and shouldn't be penalized when they need ot most, during a resession. But I also believe it should be on a case by case basis to get the people that are just "collecting" off the tit.

Alot of people would be in a bad bad way with out it and it is unemployment "insurance" so the idea that couldn't be collected is absurd to me cause we certainly don't have a choice about paying the "premium"

Discuss (Please if you can leave the ignorant racist stuff out, thanks)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Yes, you contribute, but its more like a short term disability policy than a full blown health insurance. Also, if you want to compare it to insurance, you must realize that every policy has its limitations.

The problem with your case-by-case approach is there are too many people sucking the government tit (for good or selfish reasons) for any amount of paid labor to effectively (and cost effectively) evaluate. I'd like to see a hand full of families I know personally pulled off WIC because I know what they are doing. They know how to work the system.

People know how to work the system on unemployment too. Heck, I have a relative who's company tells them how to file for unemployment for a mandatory shutdown they do every year. Personally, I think that's wrong. You are not unemployed, you just have mandatory week off without pay or the option to volunteer to work a cleanup crew for that week at your regular pay.

I think the unemployment extension is a bad idea. Setting a precedent like this is already crazy. The more they have to pay out, the more the workers and their employers have to pay in. Plus, they have to stop the extensions at some point. Otherwise, there is no real incentive to go back to work for some people.

I have family member that was laid off and used their unemployment just long enough to find a new job. Did the new job pay as well? No. Did he have the same or better benefits? Nope. Does he have a job that is supporting his family. YES!

I have another family member that was laid off with a VERY SMALL chance of being called back to work. He didn't even start looking for a job for about 6 weeks. He stayed at home and played PS3 all day. He was completely content with waiving all taxes and making about 75% of his normal take-home pay without doing a lick of work. When they finally started warning him that his unemployment was about to end (by the way, this was before extensions), he finally put in a few applications. He lucked out and got a call-back from his company, but would have milked unemployment as long as he could.

I have a good job now and have never been without a job, but I'd flip burgers and mop up crap in a rest stop bathroom if that's what it took to keep my family fed and a roof over their head.

Maybe I should clarify that I know everyone isn't just sucking on the government tit because they can, but there are a bunch of lazy people out there. They aren't willing to move to find work. They aren't willing to take advantage of government funded programs to re-train themselves for a better or different career, they aren't willing to take a position lower than their previous, and the list goes on and on.

That's my 2 cents. And there is no ignorant racist stuff in the above text.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I for one am for it, people have been paying into it they're whole life and shouldn't be penalized when they need ot most, during a resession. But I also believe it should be on a case by case basis to get the people that are just "collecting" off the tit.

+1 especially the "case by case basis", ther're plenty of eople out there using the system, I believe more people should have their cases reviewed.

post #4 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
smileage

I'm getting prepared to be laid off in a few weeks, and this time I am seriously considering filing for unemployment.

Usually I just find another job, but there seems to be a lack of those in our area right now.

I've got a garage full of cra - , uh, stuff to sell on eBay to suppliment that, might even be fun.

post #5 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Also, if you want to compare it to insurance, you must realize that every policy has its limitations.

I have a good job now and have never been without a job, but I'd flip burgers and mop up crap in a rest stop bathroom if that's what it took to keep my family fed and a roof over their head.
1st things 1st, consider yourself blessed you've always had a good job and never been without. I know plenty of good hard working folks that are not as fortunate, its not all about motivation some of it is good ol luck. I have flipped burgers and mopped shit, it sucks!

I'm not comparing it to insurance it is "unemployment insurance" thats what it is not what I'm saying it is. I understand every policy has it's limits, the unemployment extension (meaning you can apply for additional benifits once you have exhausted the 1st tier) is not something new its been around since unemployment has and it is what they are trying to cancel. The unemployment insurance program has always been a multi tier thing. Now that the unemployment rate is through the roof people that get fat salaries to sit on capitol hill in the A/C are griping that national debt is through the roof and we need to cut corners, I agree just don't F the unemployed that help pay your fat salary. We've got a war going on in several countries, we've got the C.F. on wall street and the AIG bullshit, we've got HUGE american companies in dire straights and the government managed to fund all that?

I got an Idea we can push democracy on foreign contries, blow all their infastructure up kill some of our boys and girls in the process only to rebuild it, Bail out big companies instead of them reapin what they sow and folding like my company did (I didn't get or ask for a bail out) and SCREW plumber joe that just got canned. Sounds good, but doesn't sound like America.

All this political crap makes me wanna go postal, but that won't do anything but get me a spot on the 6 o clock news. I feel for people, I really think uniform currency was a bad idea if we would have stuck to the barter system people would be better off but that's a different topic all together.

post #6 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Locally we just had a federal assistance program to help with your utility bills during the extreme heat. $4 million dollars were made available. The office was taking applicants on a first come/first serve basis for 30 minutes every morning. So these people, who need help with their utilities because of the heat (read: air conditioning) sat in line OUTSIDE IN THE HEAT to get free assistance. I couldn't go BECAUSE I HAVE A JOB I have to be at, but I wouldn't qualify anyway.

The USA is growing weak from a social standpoint, not a political one.

Unemployment benefits is just another example. Companies lay off and make up the difference the government won't pay. I know a guy who's been off 11 weeks so far this year. He didn't realize until I pointed it out to him he's not getting retirement contributions during these periods (future hardship). The company cuts cost, he gets his normal pay WITHOUT ANY INTENTION of looking for a job. He views it as payed vacation and just waits to be called back. The government needs more people to police the possible (read: highly likely) abuse of the system, so more positions are created (payed for by taxpayers) to police taxpayer money allocations. See the catch22 yet?

God forbid the lady in line at the grocery using food stamps have to give up her cell phone she's yacking on to talk to her cousin about how long she had to wait in line to file for unemployment yesterday. It then progressed to stopping by after getting her nails done. I got to hear that conversation first hand last week while pulling taxed dollars out of my wallet to pay for things.

Don't you dare tell me I'm lucky to have a job. I worked my ass off to make myself employable, if that's a word. I've moved my family across cities to provide for them. A boss I had a long time ago told me one thing very valuable. It's not somebody elses fault how well you do in this world. If there's fault, it's yours. Opportunity persists.

Some people help themselves. Some people depend on others. Thanks for the thread, and the opportunity to rant.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Immune

i have used unemployment one time only because I wanted some time off when I got laid off. I used it for 3 weeks then went and looked for a job. unemployment is ok if you can get by on what it pays out to you but im my case i had to get a job because I could not even get by on the unemployment (aprox 75% of normal average pay). If I could have made ends meet I personally would have used it and possibily tried to get the extension also. I believe it is there for a reason and if you can use it USE IT but you should try to find employment while on it (find a job that pays close to what you were earning). I am not saying abuse it, some try to and and some do but no matter what it will not last forever (in VA 1yr max I believe) so you still have a get a job. It all works out in the end. Its not wellfare and I dont believe it can be abused like wellfare is, but where there is the will people will find a way.

post #8 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Folks have quit looking for work after oh the third or fourth week of unemployment once they get comfy on the pay the unemployment pays. Then with the Gov. exenting it indefinatly, it just makes folks quit looking.

There have been folks interviewed who say "I can't find work in my career field" or "I can't find work that matches my degree" Well sometimes you gotta take what you gotta take to get by........Oh wait not anymore, the gov. just keeps extending unemployment.

Sure it sucks folks are out of work, but come on, Most could get a job if they really wanted one.

Some can't and are deserving.......

Not that just muddies the water doesn't it?

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #9 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMountaintop View Post
Folks have quit looking for work after oh the third or fourth week of unemployment once they get comfy on the pay the unemployment pays. Then with the Gov. exenting it indefinatly, it just makes folks quit looking.

There have been folks interviewed who say "I can't find work in my career field" or "I can't find work that matches my degree" Well sometimes you gotta take what you gotta take to get by........Oh wait not anymore, the gov. just keeps extending unemployment.

Sure it sucks folks are out of work, but come on, Most could get a job if they really wanted one.

Some can't and are deserving.......

Not that just muddies the water doesn't it?
I agree. There is a big difference between unfortunate and lazy. Big difference.

Until this country wakes up and realizes those differences we are headed downward. Lazy people will only change their ways if indifference is shown.

Muddy water gets created by settlement pushed into a flowing stream. Settlement pushed into a pond just sinks to the bottom.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Brian,

You have some good points about the government stepping in where it shouldn't with bailing out companies that need to fail (see Chrysler and GM). The banks needed help, but what they needed more than federal funding was a slight amount of assistance that would get them back on track.

Much like Jim, I've worked my butt off to diversify myself and make myself employable. If I lost my job today, I'd have another job or two before the weekend. It might be a combination of fixing PCs on the side, mowing lawns, and a local truck route, but I'd make it work.

There are three things I make solid attempts to do to keep myself both gainfully employed at my current employer and to make myself appealing to potential employers.

1) I keep my certification up-to-date and attend regular training to stay on top of the curve in my industry. This can include anything from formal training courses to subscribing to industry magazines and newsletters.

2) I stay in touch with other professionals in my industry. I have many contacts that I network with fairly regularly. I hear of job openings in my field of expertise before they hit the papers/websites. I'll keep key players informed of my successes. Keeping these networking channels open is great for both my side work and for getting a foot in the door.

3) I do my job to the best of my abilities and don't feed anyone crap. If I say I can do it, I can. If I'm unsure, I'll tell them. This includes bosses, business owners, customers...whoever. It doesn't take anyone very long to find out if you are feeding them a load of crap and calling it chocolate.

I'm pretty happy with my current employer and my only complaints are really not giant issues. I'd like better insurance and higher pay. Who wouldn't. While happily employed, I am currently in contact with two companies who have expressed desire for me to work for them. Will they choose me? I don't know. Will I go if they do? Depends on the offer.

In summary. Keep your options open and do the best you can. What else can you do?

Sometimes you get the short straw and lose your job anyway. That's what unemployment is for. But if you already have other avenues/contacts, or are willing to take a different job in a different city, you can be in a new position without needing an extension.

Hey Jim. Did you notice all the fat people in line waiting for a handout on the A/C issue you were talking about. Sheesh.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #11 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Immune

well I guess if I could not find a job in my field or a job that pays close to what I was making I would use the benefit that was offered (if I could make ends meet). If that is considered lazy than I'm lazy, So be it. I will refuse any job that would make me get two jobs to earn what would be needed to support my family (when I was doing it with one). Its not like the government is not already pissing away all of our tax dollars on whatever they think is nessessary at the time. The bailout money is a good example. So if I can use this screwed up system to my advantage why not at least I get to use my (and yours if the Feds are helping) tax dollars to actually help me out for a change and not just everyone else. I believe in VA its only state money not federal that pays for unemployment but then again I really don't care as I pay taxes for both.

Brian even going postal will get you a free handout. Last time I looked the Government pays for the extended stay for as long as they have custody, and they are overcharged for the crappy food and accomidations that are supplied (not that i really give a crap about any of this except what it costs to house 1 inmate per year)

post #12 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Immune

Don't misunderstand what i am saying I have been working full time since I was 15 and have collected unemployment 1 time. I do believe everyone should be looking for work and should accept any jobs that would pay at least close to what they were making even if its in a different field. Nobody should be required to accept a job if they are (1) underpaid due to ecomony (in this area jobs are available but they are hiring at reduced pay because they can). Now i did accept a job for less pay than I wanted but it was well above my unemployment check. (2) accept a job because people think they are lazy because they are collecting the unemployment check. There are many reasons for not accepting any position (job) and it is not any of my business why the position (job) was refused. If the unemployed are not looking for jobs then the employment office (or whatever its called in your area) should be checking on why they are not looking. I had to job hunt and report where, when and who I spoke with or I would not get a check (yeah its easy to BS them as they do not check any info).
I also think extending the benifts is ok but there must be a maximum amount of time you can stay on unemployment (in VA it was max of 1 year with the extension). I have never heard of being able to collect unemployment for more than a year. Most people would not need more than that to find an acceptable paying job. But who the hell am I? I am just another nobody that has no say (just like most of you) in most state and federal policies but I still have my opinion (as useless as it is)
Our opinions are just that opinions we can bitch about or agree with but in the end we actually have no say in the matter.

post #13 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Centurion

I have heard people be offered jobs but not want to start until their unemployment runs out a few months from the offer. I have also heard people be offered jobs & turn them down because they had several months (up to 9 sounds familiar) unemployment left. They do (did) not need to extend it again & again & again. How may years are they up to now?

post #14 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

One I will tell you that you are lucky to have a decent job and a decent life in america. Sure staying up to date on your certs/education and keeping yourself employable is no doubt a key factor in success no one can tell me its not. But you'd be silly not to accept the fact that geographic location and certain other factors play into success besides you being some sort of super man.

Like I said I know several educated individuals that just can't find a decent income these days, hell I know a chiroprator that can't seem to land a 50k a year job these days. And this is a DOCTOR, the guy spent 8 years in school and invested moo-lah! So it's easy to sit on a high horse until you get knocked off... it happens.

You guys are misinformed, they do not extend it indefinitly never have. What they do is have a certain amount of extensions avalible to a person depending on the state, period its always been that way and thats what was on the chopping board.

Say you have filed and get 6 months, after 6 mo nothing has panned out then you get an extension this has always been the way. Now since we are in a recession and national debt is astronomical people on the hill are trying to "pinch pennies" and guess who gets the shaft, yep the joes that have paid into this insurance.

I'm not saying everone on Unemployment is a deserving recipiant but I am saying screwing people that are clearly in distress and have played by the rules is wrong when there is a laundry list of over spending I can rattle off as an outsider! Imagine if I had some inside knowledge on government spending? I can tell you there would certainly be millions if not more worth of private jet misuse, personal bills paid off the books, "corporate meals" and "entertianment" which I'm sure involves more than a few hand jobs at the "massage" parlor and other misappropriated funds.

post #15 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Unfortunately times are tough, good jobs are scarce and taxes are increasing. But lazy folks on protracted UE reduces our GNP causing worse problems.

The best Bush Senior quote "when you are out of work the UE rate is 100%!"

post #16 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

to everyone who said "if they wanted a job,they could get one",are you saying there are 14.6 million jobs available? because that's how may people are looking as of june.
as far as relocating to find work, in nj selling a home is next to impossible.

i'm in a position where i owe alot less than the house is worth,but if i sold mine just to sell than i'd have almost nothing for a down payment on the next house. that's after 15 years of ownership.

i work 7 days a week 12 hours a day almost every job bringing home $3500 a week but umemployment pays $540.

should i take a job making $10 an hour? btw that's $280 take home.
i have very low property taxes,$3500 a year. nj leads the country in taxes

just some thoughts

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #17 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 AM
smileage

Home values, yeah, dropped more here than anyone wants to admit.

Thirty percent might be optimistic.

Jobs, all good ones dried up 1-2 years ago.

It is the toughest I can ever remember it being, but every cloud has a silver lining.

Sure it does, really.

post #18 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Ballaholic

i am for it, but only on a case by case basis. it has been made way to easy for people to just sit on the couch and collect money for 2 years. it really sucks when your weekly check and $650 worth of taxes have been removed. if everyone did their part maybe we wouldnt have to pay so many taxes. and to all the people who say there arent enough jobs around them to find another one. . . well, maybe its time you move to a more populated area. i recently had to change jobs and got a job in 1 day. its not that hard

post #19 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Brain stolen again?

What is it? Two and a half years now? Two and a half years of "help". What it helps do is swell the ranks of those who find government subsistence preferable to real work. This is the natural conclusion. It creates more tit suckers. Get beyond this assistance mantra and you'll find that billions and billions and billions were bilked out of us on a crisis basis to avert just this thing. Have you forgotten? And the results.........nothing. A bill was passed in order to extend this welfare scam without a source of funding. 400-500 BILLION remain from the stimulus shaft scam. Legislators urged the administration to tap this bundle of "special interest" slush but they turned a deaf ear.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I took unemployment at one time when I needed to up my contract work after losing a job of 26 years. I got it for a year and that was the cushiest cash I'd ever sponged. Now....TWO AND A HALF FUCKING YEARS?????????? This is the equivalent of having two lion fangs in the neck of a gazelle and it is being dragged to it's knees. US=Gazelle=0, Tiger=Socialism=1. We are the losers for obtaining a temporary sense of safety.

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #20 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
to everyone who said "if they wanted a job,they could get one",are you saying there are 14.6 million jobs available? because that's how may people are looking as of june.
There may be 14.6 million unemployed, but that isn't how many are seriously looking for a job.

post #21 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The UE welfare should not be extended. The system is gamed by lazy folks; six months on, and one year off! The UE amount doesn't scale to income and for some nearly matches their take home! My already smaller paycheck is shrunk further by bailout taxes. Instead Congress must focus on corporate incentives to create good US jobs. Bonus for hiring Americans, penalties for Foreigners, and 3rd world trade tariffs to level manufacturing costs.

post #22 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I read an article once titled "Uncle Sam's Plantation" Now it is in Book form.

And that changed my outlook forever! I wish I had it, found it by googling it, but reading it will just go to show what the government is attempting, I just have one question, HOW DOES IT GET FUNDED?

World Currency I tell you!

America better wake up!

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #23 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Quote:

World Currency I tell you!
Ding Ding! Just print more lol, currency creates all sorts of issues.

Bigdaa,

I don't think you can collect for 2.5 years, can you? I'd agree thats ridiculous but I don't think it's accurate. Could be wrong but that doesn't sound right.

post #24 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

it is 1 week short of 2 years, and you can apply for extensions right?

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #25 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Brain stolen again?

It was 99 weeks and now has been extended. Did you not know this? That is a critical piece of information, gentlemen. And Florida, I know exactly, precisely what is going on and what the intention is. Remember that the private sector, the very engine of America is losing jobs day by day. The government ranks are growing day by day. Need I remind everyone that the government does not produce one thing. The government absorbs the life from all it controls. Florida is on the nose correct. Wake up. In the sense of awareness analogous to being awake, I have not slept for years.

By the way, supplement your on hand cash with the tangible asset gold. Throw in a little silver bullion to boot. You may need it as hard barter. Money is spilling from the presses like never before. Whatever you do for a living, work it hard for the boss. He's the lifeline of this Country, baby.

Mathew Quigley
post #26 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Me to Bigdaa no sleep for along time, and that is after 20 plus years in the military....

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

And I would like to add

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread." --Thomas Jefferson

Just more food for thought!

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #27 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams
I got the matches..............

Mathew Quigley
post #28 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Brain stolen again?

I gotta correct my entry previously............the effort is to continue the 99 week coverage, not to extend it to 2 1/2 years. It means that the feds are giving out 73 weeks above and beyond what your state will do. My state does up to one year, thus the roughly 2 1/2 year figure I listed before. The fact that the funding source is a mystery and the massive remainder of the stimulus money we were held up for are rock solid data remain.

Mathew Quigley
post #29 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

Unemployment is paid by the employer, not the employee. But I agree it is a good thing for the most part. They just need to weed out the abusers and let me tell you there are plenty.

post #30 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Immune

There is way too much abuse of the unemployment going on - I personally know a few collectors would be picking up a job if their benefits ran out. These extensions are just fueling it.

Here's a side bitch about the system that I have: I was laid-off last June and could have a good year on that claim. I started picking up consulting work on a 1099 basis until I find a regular full-time job. I then found out that I cannot collect unemployment after working one day as a 1099 because I am "self employed". I've been lucky that I have stayed busy with the consulting work - but the day it stops I have zero income. I need to get another W2 based job before I would ever be eligible for unemployment again. Scary - no safety net.

post #31 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Brain stolen again?

Unemployment is now Welfare. It is the Government dolling out subsistence to once thriving economy that it is helping to destroy. The massive amounts of money we probably never can pay back as long as we reading this post will live basically went to serve present special interest and did nothing but place this country further in peril. That's pretty simple to see. We've all followed this stuff pretty closely haven't we?
Every single action that has transpired here has resulted in less control over our own welfare. Uncool, baby. Wayyyyy uncool.

Mathew Quigley
post #32 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan919 View Post
Unemployment is paid by the employer, not the employee.
You are correct, I did not realize this. I looked it up and apparently the employer pays on average 2% of and employees salary into a state fund, interesting. So if thats happening nationwide and the unemployment rate is what 11% funding shouldn't be an issue... Right?

Or wait, I think I just figured it out. Does the funding issue come into play once the 1st tier expires and extension comes into effect thus causing the Govt to start paying?

post #33 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Brain stolen again?

Yes.

We will pay for everyone on the Fed dole.

Figure anything this administration is doing as a big Ponzi scheme. The elitist at the top are the only winners. The more that are losing jobs, the more are entering the Ponzi scheme, the fewer there are to force paying into the scheme. This whole thing is steaming ahead straight into oblivion. Remember that the government produces nothing, but continues to grow...........like cancer. Oh, the services supplied by the government, are they really worth trading economic viability for?

Mathew Quigley
post #34 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Remember that the government produces nothing, but continues to grow...........like cancer. Oh, the services supplied by the government, are they really worth trading economic viability for?

EXACTLY!

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #35 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have always been fortunate enough to never even go a week of my life without a paycheck.

I can't imagine the emotions a hard working guy trying to take care of his family who can't find steady work week after week must feel. It has to be tough.

I am a very conservative guy, but it seems there are other segments of government spending we should cut first. When will America start to help Americans?

Did anyone notice we just gave PAKISTAN 7.5 BILLION in aid? For what reason, I don't know but Hillary Clinton did that this week.

Did anyone notice we gave Haiti 1.5 BILLION U.S. tax dollars when their GDP was about 6 Billion!!

Chile got 20 million for their earthquake without a single American official stepping foot in Chile.

We send 3 Billion a year to South Asia- that's not even newsworthy these days.

Afghanistan has received 29 BILLION dollars in U.S. aid since 9/11

post #36 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Dave, I've often thought the same thing. The government seems to grow in good or bad times. It seems it grows faster in bad times, by gut feel. I haven't looked up stats on it though.

It is also very interesting that their performance has zero reflection on their customer base. You don't like dealing with the county clerk? Tough. Unless you want to move counties, he/she is the only store in town until replaced. You cannot show your dislike by taking your business elsewhere. Being as their customers are actually their employers the experience can often be of a dictatorship instead of a service.

post #37 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan919 View Post
Unemployment is paid by the employer, not the employee. But I agree it is a good thing for the most part. They just need to weed out the abusers and let me tell you there are plenty.
i don't know about "your" state,but my paycheck says njui/njsdi every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post

Whatever you do for a living, work it hard for the boss. He's the lifeline of this Country, baby.
i fix broken turbines,when i do a great job and work hard(every time i walk on the job) i get laid off sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
I have always been fortunate enough to never even go a week of my life without a paycheck.

I can't imagine the emotions a hard working guy trying to take care of his family who can't find steady work week after week must feel. It has to be tough.

I am a very conservative guy, but it seems there are other segments of government spending we should cut first. When will America start to help Americans?

Did anyone notice we just gave PAKISTAN 7.5 BILLION in aid? For what reason, I don't know but Hillary Clinton did that this week.

Did anyone notice we gave Haiti 1.5 BILLION U.S. tax dollars when their GDP was about 6 Billion!!

Chile got 20 million for their earthquake without a single American official stepping foot in Chile.

AMEN BROTHER

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #38 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post

thats good shit right there

post #39 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
It is also very interesting that their performance has zero reflection on their customer base. You don't like dealing with the county clerk? Tough. Unless you want to move counties, he/she is the only store in town until replaced. You cannot show your dislike by taking your business elsewhere. Being as their customers are actually their employers the experience can often be of a dictatorship instead of a service.
Here in Walton Co. Florida when I bought my house, I was of course STILL IN the Military, and my plates were coming due, and wanting to switch from Arkansas (my old home of record) to Florida my NEW Home of record, I had to go deal with the office in charge. The lady in charge said "You do not have Florida insurance" Which I informed her that I currently live in Charleston SC where I was currently stationed at the time, and I had current insurance from there, anyway she said I cannot get a plate. I tried to inform her of the STATE of Florida's LAW for military living outside the state that as long as I have current insurance where I lived, and my drivers license address reflected it, I can get and maintain a Florida plate. After fighting with her for 3 hours she finally called Tallahassee and they informed her I WAS CORRECT.
I got my plate and left. Later I learned from the locals here that screw that office, Go over to Ocaloosa Co next door and get all of your plates because the idiot lady working at our plate office always gives everyone a hard time.
So Yes I can take my money and business elsewhere but I hated to see money leaving the county. Well election time came around, and Rhonda Skipper was on her campaign trail and came to my home to ask for my vote, I said if you get rid of that idiot lady at the plate office you have my vote.

Skipper was in, Idiot lady is GONE!!!!!!!!!!! Pleaqsure is back in the office from what I get from all the employees and money is now staying in the county.

I just never would have believed I could go outside my home county and get a plate........

Bikes I own:
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
post #40 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

You can go to any county in Fl I do the same thing, the Pinellas one is much more organized and its quicker to drive down there then to go to mine (pasco) and just sit and look at lazy pasconites loafing around like zombies.

On a side note I'm pissed, I got a screw in my 2ct....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode