Unbelievable! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Unbelievable!

My bike insurance doubled moving from Alabama to Kansas, which struck me as odd as people aren't TRYING to hit me in Kansas.

Now, my bike insurance is doubling again for the move to Hawaii. Over $1000 a year to insure my 919! I know bike theft is high, but a few years of that and I could buy another!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Le So Cal Troll

ouch... what kinda coverage you got... i got pretty much basic stuff as i bought the bike (919) out right and in lovely awesome cali where everything is priced retarded high i pay only 207/yr.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Ballaholic

yeah i got full coverage on my 07 919, im 28, and i only pay $400 in jersey!

post #4 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Insurance isn't required in the state of WA for motorcycles. But liability is so cheap it would be financially stupid not to have one.

$1000/year (!), I'm guessing that's full coverage. Better shop around. Don't insurance companies provide military discount?

post #5 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

ouch, that's gonna hurt a little bit! It's been awhile since I've been to Hawaii, but I didn't know insurance was so expensive!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I wouldn't think bike theft would be real likely in Hawaii.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I did a little shopping around and found it for $729. That's at 35, married, no tickets, riding for over a decade, licensed, and trained. That was about what I was paying for two bikes in Kansas!

Talked to some folks that say theft is bad on certain parts of the island. Compared it to leaving your bike parked in Compton!

post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Ok, what I'm really curious about is why MC insurance is so expensive in Kansas... Especially for omeone your age and with a clean driving record. I pay $267 a year for full coverage with State Farm here in the Denver area with a clean record and I'm 37...

I was contacted by USAA about getting insurace through them a month or so ago, but they don't insure motorcycles themselves...they contract for that through Progressive...Progressive quoted me over $450 on the 919 and were puzzled when I laughed at them and said that was roughly double what I was currently paying. I guess I wont be going with THAT company!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Ok, what I'm really curious about is why MC insurance is so expensive in Kansas... Especially for omeone your age and with a clean driving record. I pay $267 a year for full coverage with State Farm here in the Denver area with a clean record and I'm 37...

I was contacted by USAA about getting insurace through them a month or so ago, but they don't insure motorcycles themselves...they contract for that through Progressive...Progressive quoted me over $450 on the 919 and were puzzled when I laughed at them and said that was roughly double what I was currently paying. I guess I wont be going with THAT company!

I may have to call up state farm and see what they quote me at.... right now i pay 207/yr for basic stuff (20 yrs old, 2 pts on record) through progressive (drive insurance here in ca) .

I do know that i was paying 280/yr through progressive for the 1st yr on my dads vtx1800... come the second year it got cut inhalf to 140/yr for what ever reason... but i switched to my 919 right at the same time my year was up on the vtx so it dropped to 207 per yr.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank the Kansas state legislature for that. They require compulsory personal injury protection for medical expenses because I ride. Costs about $150 per bike. Otherwise, it would be less than $250 per bike.

I can hear them on capital hill now, "If they want to ride their murder-cycles, then they have to pay their medical bills." Helmets, however, are optional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode