Trying to decide if it's worth it to fix after a crash- - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Trying to decide if it's worth it to fix after a crash-

Hey All,

Bought a beater 02 919 a few months ago to commute, really liked it but unfortunately I got hit and runned in the Bay Area while commuting at low speed. I'm fine, the bike is not.

Basically, the front forks are bent, and I think the shift fork is bent as well (was in second when it happened and it wants to pop out under heavy acceleration) but this is less of an issue.

I posted it on Craigslist cause I don't really want to dump money into it but I looked at it today I'm thinking of seeing if I can just swap forks and get it riding again, especially considering how strong the engine is. Never done fork work before, but I have done most basic maint like removing wheel, chain, sprocket, etc.

Would the best course of action be to try and unbend the forks at a machine shop? Or look for a cheap used pair? Are any special tools needed for this?

Open to suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

https://imgur.com/a/tiJ3Z

pics of what it looks like now

post #3 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Way cheaper and easier to slap a set of used forks on there. I'm not sure I've ever seen a successful attempt to straighten forks that were bent in a crash.

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!

post #4 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 05:57 AM
Optio

Garage
Yeah, you can get her used set of forks for a couple hundred bucks and rebuild the field for another hundred. Swapping them out is a 10 minute job. All you need is a triple tree stand and some basic hand tools. A torque wrench never heard either. It really is just a couple bolts. And there are tutorials on this forum.The main track is maintaining the wheel off the ground and stability for the bike doesn't tip over. But if you can master that easy breezy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Tesserarius

I know a lot of Track guys use Wills' Rim Repair for repairing rims. I had contacted him about doing one for me and he also said he could fix the forks, fix internals if possible, and install new seals. I think it was him anyways.. I can't find the message. Check them out on FB if that's a way you want to go. I never did get around to sending him anything so can't say, but that's the route i plan to go once I get to it.

It might depend what Insurance coverage you have, if you want to go through them or not.. given the shape of that bike, you'd probably get a bigger check from the insurance company based on fair market value of the bike in general than what you paid for it, but then you gotta deal with those asshats jacking your insurance up a bit or w/e.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 11:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sorry for the loss, surprised that happened in the Bay Area, it's usually in the poor areas where that happens the most.

If you've ever considered a fork upgrade, this would be an ideal time. I think there's about 3 or 4 common choices for upgrades and a number of threads on it.

If it's only a bit more money to upgrade to some fully adjustable forks, then it's not much of a loss. The 02 forks weren't much in demand, most at least want the later ones.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hey, thanks all for the replies.

Looks like I'm going to try find the cheapest pair of forks I can swap in- not looking for an upgrade cause the bike is just a commuter.

Any ideas on where I can find a dirt cheap pair of straight 02 forks? Ebay and CL don't seem to have anything and it seems like when someone crashes a bike enough to damage it they usually bend the forks. I was hoping this forum would have some from people doing F4i swaps but there doesn't seem to be anything. Are 03+ a direct bolt on as well?

Also, would I want to swap the axle as well? Looks like it spins freely but I don't really understand how based on the geometry. I drove it home about 20 miles after the crash fwiw.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Tesserarius

It's hard to tell from the picture. Are you sure they are bent, and just not in a twist?

post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2017, 06:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
It's hard to tell from the picture. Are you sure they are bent, and just not in a twist?
I was going to suggest that he could widen the search by just looking for the bent part. He could take them apart to check if they are bent, I think the test is to roll the part on a sheet of glass or known flat surface.

IDK how many people would be selling just parts of a fork, but there's a chance.

Someone else can chime in to confirm, but I thought ALL the 919 forks were a direct swap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode